Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada, Yes or No

Canada, Yes or No

Old Nov 27th 2009, 6:36 am
Just Joined

neilh is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Canada, Yes or No

Hello, I am in the early process of looking into moving to Canada. I am thinking of the Vancouver district. We will be going over there for a general holiday and look around next year. What I am after is any useful info on where to start, stay, look at etc. Applications have not been made. On that subject I am a British citizen, my wife is Irish and of my 3 children 1 has a UK passport the other 2 Irish passports. All my own children. We now live in the Republic of Ireland. On the job front, I work on an oil rig at various locations around then world. Where I live would not matter so I would be keeping my Job. My children are 10, 8 and 6. My wife fancies Oz but I think Canada is the best bet. Looking at houses on the net the Maple ridge area looks pretty good? Obviously no commute for me as I do 4weeks on / off. On that subject would my wife we Ok while I am at work. I hope someone can help. Thanks.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada, Yes or No

Originally Posted by neilh
Hello, I am in the early process of looking into moving to Canada. I am thinking of the Vancouver district. We will be going over there for a general holiday and look around next year. What I am after is any useful info on where to start, stay, look at etc. Applications have not been made. On that subject I am a British citizen, my wife is Irish and of my 3 children 1 has a UK passport the other 2 Irish passports. All my own children. We now live in the Republic of Ireland. On the job front, I work on an oil rig at various locations around then world. Where I live would not matter so I would be keeping my Job. My children are 10, 8 and 6. My wife fancies Oz but I think Canada is the best bet. Looking at houses on the net the Maple ridge area looks pretty good? Obviously no commute for me as I do 4weeks on / off. On that subject would my wife we Ok while I am at work. I hope someone can help. Thanks.
Before you start worrying about where to live etc, you need to figure out if you'll be eligible for a visa or not. From what you've said, you or your wife will have to get a job offer first so may have to live wherever you can find work rather than being able to choose.

Have a read of this which should help you understand the visa/immigration side of things and see how you need to go about getting a visa - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. Reading the link you attached it does not look to good then as I will not be giving up my job. I grossed 180,000 Canadian last year and I can't see me getting that in Canada in a new career. I will make a few phone calls and see what the general feedback will be. Maybe they will happy with the tax off me.

Last edited by neilh; Nov 27th 2009 at 10:49 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply. Reading the link you attached it does not look to good then as I will not be giving up my job. I grossed 180,000 Canadian last year and I can't see me getting that in Canada in a new career. I will make a few phone calls and see what the general feedback will be. Maybe they will happy with the tax off me.
To apply, CIC don't care where you are living, if you qualify you qualify. However, how do you intend to maintain your 730 days in Canada every 5 years if you do not work for a Canadian company.

I currently act for a client who is a roughneck in northern Alberta. He is 21 and he grosses more than the figure you referred to above.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reply. Reading the link you attached it does not look to good then as I will not be giving up my job. I grossed 180,000 Canadian last year and I can't see me getting that in Canada in a new career.
I thought you said you were keeping your current job? Do you mean the tax is an issue?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

No the tax is not an issue and I would get Over 800 days in Canada over 5 years. What I am saying about the job is reading the application details you have to have a canadian job lined up before moving over there. My company has an office in Canada so maybe I can use that address and qualify. Money is not the issue I just like my job and will not want to leave.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

No the tax is not an issue and I would get Over 800 days in Canada over 5 years. What I am saying about the job is reading the application details you have to have a canadian job lined up before moving over there. My company has an office in Canada so maybe I can use that address and qualify. Money is not the issue I just like my job and will not want to leave.
You don't have to have a job lined up if your occupational experience is listed under the list of 38 restricted occupations list.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/immigra...structions.asp

These not fit the bill?

8222: Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service
9212: Supervisors, Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Processing and Utilities
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont understand why not giving up your job is such a big issue, why dont you apply to work on the rigs in alberta or Saskatchewan, you'd probably be on a fairly similar wage.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Does not matter who you work for from a tax perspective. If you are a Canadian tax resident you'll have to pay tax to CRA regardless.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

That is true about the Alberta oil industry, I will look into it. Although I am very happy in the job I have now. Work I hope would not be too much of an issue the main thing would be getting the family settled and with me being away a lot, that they are all happy. Looks like a long road ahead.! Thanks for the replys.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:08 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I see your point about it not mattering where you live as you travel to your work 4 on 4 off, but not sure how you would persuade Canadian Immigration to let your family settle here.

Friends of ours, the guy works for BP and got over here on temporary work permit, then they applied for permanent residence. Later he had a job way overseas and was away for a month at a time (Uzbechistan or somewhere?)and the family stay here of course. Now he's actually working back in Alberta, and they have their citizenship now anyway.

It's how you go about getting your foot in the door is the question ..... I'm sure if you could get registered with a Canadian branch you'd be part-way there .....

If your wife thinks Oz is more attractive then that's your first hurdle anway!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:11 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
I see your point about it not mattering where you live as you travel to your work 4 on 4 off, but not sure how you would persuade Canadian Immigration to let your family settle here.

If your wife thinks Oz is more attractive then that's your first hurdle anway!
Oz is more attractive thats why alot more Brits move there over Canada.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
Not an objective response.

However don't bother to elaborate we've been through this discussion so many times already it's now tiresome.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

However don't bother to elaborate we've been through this discussion so many times already it's now tiresome.
I disagree - lets get rae along to discuss sharks.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:26 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Originally Posted by Steve_P
Objective? NO
Objectionable? Many are feeling that way about this poster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.