Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada - Would It Suit Us?

Canada - Would It Suit Us?

Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

EViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Canada - Would It Suit Us?

Originally Posted by LiffyB
I agree with Neekie - go over for a visit! my son is 21 and still at Uni and wants just what this young guy wants - but having lived in NS before he knows that he won't be getting it there. But he is also wise to the fact that materialism isn't everything and as he gets older (and wiser) his objectives in life will change.

With regards to some of the unhelpful comments made in the link - the old chinese proverb comes to mind 'Never wrestle with a Pig!' - you'll only get dirty - and the pig loves it!

Good Luck - you only live once - make the most of it!
Well thank you to all those who have come back with such helpfull replies! I will in deed be heading over to Canada for approximately 3/4 months, although in a years time. I'm looking to get as much fundamental research together within this time first .

ann m: No need to worry, I haven't been put off by the few stabbing replies. It happens on every and any forum, some more brutal and some less so... It's what you get for trying to get people to read a long opening post and getting them to interpret everything in the same manner. On the plus side, this has all be outweighed by useful information, including members pm'ing me offering to post research they have conducted over the years and sharring some of their experiences and opinions based upon my opening post. Now that IS a fabulous attitude to have .

Thanks all! I will of course be returning to this thread if and when it receives more replies.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the name for those people who post threads just to see who they can wind up?? You know, they post sentiments guaranteed to annoy the reader, such as uncontrolled immigration

[QUOTE=EViS;6106477]

uncontrolable status of immigrants flooding past our borders.
The UK welcomes everyone and anyone which obviously is causing problems
. selective
give me the life I am looking for...

Nice cheeses are a must for me anyway
Canadians aren't very 'trendy' in a fashion sense?

Maybe I am being cynical though. I also misread the name and thought Elvis was asking if Canada would suit him
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Among all the sarchasm (probably warranted by the trolly nature of the original post) the single most important fact has only been mentioned once, and then it was brushed over.

Without relevant work experience its unlikely a new graduate will meet the points requirement for a skilled worker visa, and wont stand a chance of getting a provincial nomination place, so all bets are off.

For someone who allegedly spent a week reading all this forum has to offer (including the wiki) they seem to have missed the most important thing which would be to read up on the basics of what it takes to get into this country.

The irony of people emmigrating cos they dont like all the immigrants in the UK is one I seldom tire of. Nice to see it expressed so up front for once!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Among all the sarchasm (probably warranted by the trolly nature of the original post) the single most important fact has only been mentioned once, and then it was brushed over.

Without relevant work experience its unlikely a new graduate will meet the points requirement for a skilled worker visa, and wont stand a chance of getting a provincial nomination place, so all bets are off.

For someone who allegedly spent a week reading all this forum has to offer (including the wiki) they seem to have missed the most important thing which would be to read up on the basics of what it takes to get into this country.

The irony of people emmigrating cos they dont like all the immigrants in the UK is one I seldom tire of. Nice to see it expressed so up front for once!

It is nice to know that a selective immigration policy is in place

Last edited by daft batty; Mar 25th 2008 at 3:11 pm. Reason: being mean??
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
So we are safe from an anal troll with plenty of time to write long posts? (IMO)
For a couple of years anyway

If something as trivial as the quality of cheese is a major consideration in your life, I cant help but think immigration (with all the change and upheaval involved) is going to be a rather stressful experience. Not really a question of "Would Canada suit us?" as much as "Would immigration suit us?" Probably not.

Especially as they dont like immigrants anyway. Surely self-loathing cant be healthy
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:03 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daft batty
It is nice to know that a selective immigration policy is in place
Yup. Apart from the hundreds of thousands of people that get in by the Family Class route. Oops.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by bazzz
Yup. Apart from the hundreds of thousands of people that get in by the Family Class route. Oops.
Never let the facts get in the way...

Typically twice as many family class members(60 to 70k) as refugess(~30k), and twice as many economic class migrants(130k+) as family class.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/resourc...verview/01.asp

When you look into it, its not all that easy to get more than one relative in as family class, and then they cant get anyone extra in because they already have family present in Canada.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:19 pm
Flags! Yeah!! Wooooooooo!

Naryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really nice

Let's not forget the secret immigrants - the children born every day in Canada. They are the sneakiest of immigrants - all cute looking and nice - you know THEY'RE up to something.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:24 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I think all of you have missed a very major point to this whole topic

Judy nearly swore

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I can't be arsed
x
I nearly fell offf my seat at work

Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EViS
Well thank you to all those who have come back with such helpfull replies! I will in deed be heading over to Canada for approximately 3/4 months, although in a years time. I'm looking to get as much fundamental research together within this time first .

ann m: No need to worry, I haven't been put off by the few stabbing replies. It happens on every and any forum, some more brutal and some less so... It's what you get for trying to get people to read a long opening post and getting them to interpret everything in the same manner. On the plus side, this has all be outweighed by useful information, including members pm'ing me offering to post research they have conducted over the years and sharring some of their experiences and opinions based upon my opening post. Now that IS a fabulous attitude to have .

Thanks all! I will of course be returning to this thread if and when it receives more replies.
Hi There,
I live in Vancouver and one year I did an experiment of growing vegetables
and herbs all year round. I find that during the rainy winter,I could still grow
kales,lettuces,swiss chart of various colours and beets(mainly for the young leaves).No problem with parsleys,mints,green onions ,wheat grass and buck wheat sprouts during the winter.
Their growth were slow,however I managed to get fresh greens throughout that winter. Hope that helps.
Yoong
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

EViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Yoong
Hi There,
I live in Vancouver and one year I did an experiment of growing vegetables
and herbs all year round. I find that during the rainy winter,I could still grow
kales,lettuces,swiss chart of various colours and beets(mainly for the young leaves).No problem with parsleys,mints,green onions ,wheat grass and buck wheat sprouts during the winter.
Their growth were slow,however I managed to get fresh greens throughout that winter. Hope that helps.
Yoong
Interesting, I'm guessing that the rain (as opposed to snow) helps . I'm not looking to harvest mass amounts of crops, just some bits and pieces which would give me enough pleasure knowing that the produce was created with my bare hands. Alot of satisfaction in that! Sounds like I shouldn't have a problem with this point then, thank you Yoong.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome EVis,
Some of the herbs or vegs that I like,I will plant them
in large planters with wheels and then move them
around to avoid the snow.I harvested only young leaves,
it can be done but requires more work in the winter.
Yoong
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I think all of you have missed a very major point to this whole topic

Judy nearly swore

I nearly fell offf my seat at work

LOL, if you pay attention shes actually been quite pissy with a few newbies and their stupid questions over the last month or so, and who can blame her!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:07 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
LOL, if you pay attention shes actually been quite pissy with a few newbies and their stupid questions over the last month or so, and who can blame her!

Well if anyone is allowed to get away with it then Judy would!

To get back to the point in hand seriously though, when I read the op, my first thought was holy crap here we go, but I don't think he's had that bad a response, on the contrary quite a balanced one.

But I will say to Elvis Evis Bevis or whatever IN MINUS 40 YOU WILL DITCH THOSE ARMANIS RAPIDLY AND PULL ON ANYTHING IRRESPECTIVE OF COST OR LOOK - BELIEVE ME!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Well if anyone is allowed to get away with it then Judy would!

To get back to the point in hand seriously though, when I read the op, my first thought was holy crap here we go, but I don't think he's had that bad a response, on the contrary quite a balanced one.

But I will say to Elvis Evis Bevis or whatever IN MINUS 40 YOU WILL DITCH THOSE ARMANIS RAPIDLY AND PULL ON ANYTHING IRRESPECTIVE OF COST OR LOOK - BELIEVE ME!
Mandy,

I most definitely agree with you on both points there. There have been a couple of unecessary comments, but they were all by the same people. Twice the amount of people were helpful and many (including a moderator) PM'ed with additional helpful advice. One member even felt so sorry for me with the couple of poor replies I was getting that they have already posted me their research and publications, even refused to accept some money to cover postage costs ! All in all, good result, a very balanced opinion, and some fantastic people do exist here .

I'm also wonderring why so many people have got hooked on the 'designer clothes front'. It was only one of my points, and was quite far down my list... The fact that the points above were all about carrying on with an enjoyable lifestyle (as it is now) in a different country with additional benefits should have been the key issue... Nevermind though, I've got the answers I came here for together with a large variety of views .

Those that were very negative in regards to my current lifestyle and future outlook did bring up some very valid points on the whole so nothing has put me off. In fact, I've begun to look forward to completing my degree and getting out there for a reccie even more now. Just need to think hard about my career path over the next year, will be the crucial factor afterall!

Last edited by EViS; Mar 25th 2008 at 7:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.