Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada - Would It Suit Us?

Canada - Would It Suit Us?

Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:46 am
Flags! Yeah!! Wooooooooo!

Naryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really nice
Default Re: Canada - Would It Suit Us?

Originally Posted by blimey
You may want to check out a recent thread about safety in toronto, where many if not all said they leave their doors unlocked at times and feel perfectly safe at night. All big cities have gangs - comes with the territory - but there's nothing particularly striking about them in Toronto when compared to the UK, I don't find.

I must say, you have an interesting view of the city - what with the "crazy people shouting at their chips at every corner" stuff - where do you live? You really can't be scared of people with mental illness, can you - they're mainly just sad and can't help that they're sick (unless you're talking about people who are high - in which case they really don't want much to do with you unless you can buy or sell!!)

I've found toronto to be friendly and safe given it's size. But immigrants are the norm more than the exception - but I like that (good sushi).
I live in the East End, Danforth and Main area. There are crazy people all over the place, I'm not kidding. I guess I shouldn't say crazy - lots and lots of grumpy, unhappy people, peppered with a few nutters. I mention the gangs in Toronto because it's where I live - I won't and can't really comment on anywhere else.
I am a cross-atlantic being - I've lived both sides of the pond. I know all about the big gangs - the northern irish ones. I'm not scared of 'em because I have no dealings with them, but now bystanders are getting shot - the reality is, we're hearing about more and more brazen shootings. Not that it's not happening elsewhere...

I certainly hope I didn't come across as being somehow "against" immigrants - far from it. I can't stand being ignored because of my "non-Canadian" work experience.

I wouldn't leave my door unlocked purposely here. "Home invasion" is not something anyone with kids takes lightly, I don't care where it's happening - because it does. Not every night, but if locking the door means... blah blah.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:51 am
Flags! Yeah!! Wooooooooo!

Naryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really niceNaryamente is just really nice

Originally Posted by blimey
le shouting at their chips at every corner" stuff - where do you live? You really can't be scared of people with mental illness, can you - they're mainly just sad and can't help that they're sick
Thinking on it - faced with a choice of happy guy with guns and sad guy with guns?...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I won't be sarcastic. Head for British Columbia - the middle of, generally. I'll address your point about growing foods - the fact that you're going to need some warmth and some rain, for a damn good chunk of the year will limit you in Canada. BC.

I could grow a few things out here in Calgary, but only between May and Sept, if I was careful; my ground is pretty solid still at the mo. Probably similar for the Prairies (Canada's wheat growing area). I would hazard a guess that BC is the only province where anyone with green fingers can actually enjoy a long season of growing .... the rest of us cram it all in over a 5 month period

The points raised about length of work experience are valid in order to get a foot in the working world here. Don't underestimate this.

You can be as materialistic here as you can in the UK

And finally, the fact that you mentioned immigrants in your opening point was a turn-off for many, I suspect. However, if truth be told, many readers probably did not pay suitable attention to your use of the word "uncontrolled".

Keep dreaming, and if your research steers you to Canada, best wishes - there's a few years hard work ahead of you ....
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

EViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rsacharuk
Okay, you have a lot of boxes to check regarding finding the right place to move to within Canada!
I moved to Canada 18 months ago as my husband is Canadian and we have since been searching for the right place for us to settle. You may have to consider that no place will be absolutely perfect. No where ever is.
However Canada has many great places to live depending on the lifestyle you want to live whether it be mountain, City, remote, suburbia etc.
As mentioned in other posts, Canada is made of immigrants, this actually can be a good thing as the bigger cities are multicultural with a wide range of restaurants, shows, and events. Cost of living seems to be more expensive over west than East. (We lived in Banff and now Vancouver). Would like Montreal but neither of us speak decent enough French Merde!...Your GF?
It's a BIG place, so have an idea of how you actually want to spend your time so you can figure out where is best for you and your GF.
Also, you really do need some experience and a sought after trade to be granted a visa. Canadian immigration are strict (and the London office is slloooooowwwwwww!)
Many many boxes I know, I thought I may as well lay them all out at once as opposed to doing so in drips and drabs. Probably why the first few replies weren't too positive as members weren't quite ready for a list of 'demands' haha .

Well my girlfriend is fluent in French (hence the degree), I on the other hand am useless with languages therefore English is the only way for me unfortunately...

I have already found that construction is very much needed so that shouldn't be a problem. Obiously experience will be necessary, however I am planning on working here for atleast a couple of years first anyway. Maybe even to create a good bond with a construction consultant who has offices in Canada and can assist in the move if and when I/we decide upon it...

I guess that at the moment I'm just looking for opinions about whether Canada is able to provide me with most of what I am looking for, and further advice upon possible city's to look at .
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:08 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EViS
Question:

Is Canada likely to meet our above 'wants'?
No, on so many levels.

Even ideas regarding other countries to look at if Canada doesn't sound (in your opinion) right for us...
Look at Melbourne.

I'm being serious btw.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:16 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
No, on so many levels.
Totally agree with what Acer Rose said. When he said, " ... on so many levels," he meant on so many levels. I can't be arsed to write a book and tell you all the reasons. But trust me, there are many.

Look at Melbourne.
I've lived there, and I generally concur with Acer Rose. Melbourne would tick most of your boxes, not that manufactured goods are cheap there, mind. But you're going to have to look at that wish list of yours and decide which items to ditch, because I don't know of any place in the world that would give you everything you want. Oh yes, I haven't been to Malaga, so I'll take Atlantic Xpat's word. But Malaga aside, it's not going to happen.

Still, of all the places I know, Melbourne would come closest to ticking your boxes.

But even the Melbournians, who are mild mannered by Australian standards, would chew you up and spit you out if you displayed the sense of entitlement you've displayed in this thread.

I'm being serious btw.
Me too.
x
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:19 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Bite me.

They are looking for people here. They don't have uncontrolled immigration, just emigration.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...h-1319453.html

There is a reason people move countries. Most, not for your shopping list of reasons, I suspect.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:22 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Oh yes, I haven't been to Malaga, so I'll take Atlantic Xpat's word. But Malaga aside, it's not going to happen. x
Nor have I. But I still think it'll suit their needs.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

EViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura aboutEViS has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Nor have I. But I still think it'll suit their needs.
acer rose & Judy in Calgary: I'm not naiive enough to not realise that no place on earth will tick all my boxes... Hence me putting that list into a rough order of what is more important to us (safety, being outdoors, experiencing real seasons, enjoying our lives throughout, etc). Again, somewhere in my introduction I feel I may have made myself sound like a manic shopper to whom material goods are a top priority, this is of course wrong... They are in no way a top priority, just things which I like to have but would sacrifice much of if the items higher up the list were possible to obtain.

Could you two (or others?) care to give me some of your reasons for why Canada does not sound like the place for us? I'm not looking for a book either, just some quick opinions please .
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:48 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you two (or others?) care to give me some of your reasons for why Canada does not sound like the place for us? I'm not looking for a book either, just some quick opinions please .

Can you imagine going to a local coffee shop/greasy spoon in your flannel pyjamas with a head of bed hair first thing in the morning?
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Can you imagine going to a local coffee shop/greasy spoon in your flannel pyjamas with a head of bed hair first thing in the morning?
I don't quite understand your point here hot wasabi peas? But to answer your question... Yes I can...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

acer rose & Judy in Calgary: I'm not naiive enough to not realise that no place on earth will tick all my boxes... Hence me putting that list into a rough order of what is more important to us (safety, being outdoors, experiencing real seasons, enjoying our lives throughout, etc). Again, somewhere in my introduction I feel I may have made myself sound like a manic shopper to whom material goods are a top priority, this is of course wrong... They are in no way a top priority, just things which I like to have but would sacrifice much of if the items higher up the list were possible to obtain.

Don't listen to them. They are the worst people you could possibly be faced with.

It's like England, only bigger. That's it really.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:55 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

You want to immigrate to get away from immigrants. The irony here is enough. You want the bling and culture but space and self sufficiency. What do you offer Canada in return? Attitude and immaturity? That ain't going to work.

If you're serious then come over on a BUNAC, travel, experience the place and see whether it fits. If you can find a place that meets your needs and you can find a job the great. If not then Essex really isn't all that bad.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Don't listen to them. They are the worst people you could possibly be faced with.

It's like England, only bigger. That's it really.
Oh, but without the good bits.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:57 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Steady on HWP, it's late, the Mrs is away & I can't be coping with that imagery!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.