Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

In Canada - where to buy voltage converter?

In Canada - where to buy voltage converter?

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough
Default In Canada - where to buy voltage converter?

I'm in Vancouver with a few items that need a voltage converter.

Where can I buy a voltage converter locally?

Future Shop, Canadian Tire, Walmart ???

Any hints/tips gratefully received.

TQ.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future
Default Re: In Canada - where to buy voltage converter?

Originally Posted by Tiger_Quimpo

TQ.
is this to use on UK applicances? We brought our step down (220v to 110v) tranformer online as we couldnt find a local shop (including those you name) who stock them - when we asked for transformers, the response was "you mean like the film" Perhaps someone closer to VCR may know of somewhere local to you
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

www.voltageconverters.com - ship from within Canada, reasonable prices, fair quality. We have a couple from there, still going strong after five years of intermittent use.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RKS_in_Calgary
is this to use on UK applicances? We brought our step down (220v to 110v) tranformer online as we couldnt find a local shop (including those you name) who stock them - when we asked for transformers, the response was "you mean like the film" Perhaps someone closer to VCR may know of somewhere local to you
Yes for use with a few UK appliances. I believe I'm looking for something that steps up from 110v to 220v.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
www.voltageconverters.com - ship from within Canada, reasonable prices, fair quality. We have a couple from there, still going strong after five years of intermittent use.
Thanks Oakvillian.

Could you describe the make and model you went for or direct me to a current (no pun intended ) equivalent. Not sure what these things look like.

Thanks if you are able to.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

canmoreskier is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Oakvillian.

Could you describe the make and model you went for or direct me to a current (no pun intended ) equivalent. Not sure what these things look like.

Thanks if you are able to.
I have several of these http://www.voltageconverters.ca/p-28...ansformer.aspx for use on various appliances. Check what Wattage you need to make sure you get the correct size. Useful as it can transform both ways (step up and step down) so can be used for Canadian appliances in UK as well as UK appliances in Canada.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

RKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant futureRKS_in_Calgary has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by canmoreskier
I have several of these http://www.voltageconverters.ca/p-28...ansformer.aspx for use on various appliances. Check what Wattage you need to make sure you get the correct size. Useful as it can transform both ways (step up and step down) so can be used for Canadian appliances in UK as well as UK appliances in Canada.
yup - those were the ones I was meaning! Bear in mind that you dont necessarily need one for every appliance - we have one for kitchen appliances which is rated for the max. wattage we need (on the basis that we werent going to be running the food processor, liquidser etc all at the same time!)
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:03 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canmoreskier
We've got voltageconverters.com converters dotted around the house. One in the living room runs the stereo 500watt) when we use it. Another in the kitchen (1000watt) for various appliances. One in my music room (1500watts) to run various amps, synths etc. We also have one in the office to run UK printers (we still have a bunch of ink cartridges to use up). Then we have a 3kw one that I used to use to run all my power tools and garden stuff (until I realised I have 220v power in there already). My wife now uses it for her hairdrier. I think if you order more than $100 worth, the shipping is free. Great service too.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
that's where we got ours from. I think it was $30 for a 500W one. And it's working just fine
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

WE also have at least 3 we use, one for Tv which is on all the time, once tv dies ( was only year old) we will convert to canadian electronics, keep one in kitchen as well for small kitchen appliances, other for my dysons....We have 2 big 2000w vc, think they also ad to hydro bill, but still cheaper then buying new items....at least for the moment...
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone who replied. We sold a bunch of stuff before we moved, but still want to power a UK midi system and a desktop PC.

Interestingly digital radio alarm clocks went do-lally - either showing a single digit of showing time, but not keeping time. No biggy as I can get basic canadian digital clock radios from $9.95.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone who replied. We sold a bunch of stuff before we moved, but still want to power a UK midi system and a desktop PC.

Interestingly digital radio alarm clocks went do-lally - either showing a single digit of showing time, but not keeping time. No biggy as I can get basic canadian digital clock radios from $9.95.

Thanks again.
just a note - our UK PC works just fine on an adaptor (3 pin to 2pin plug thing) - most PC's will auto-convert from 220 to 110 volts as far as I know (and I'm no expert) but ours is an old Dell and it did automatically so try first as you may not need a step down transformer for this at all

Last edited by RKS_in_Calgary; Nov 4th 2011 at 1:59 am. Reason: addition
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Skisonline is an unknown quantity at this point

If your PC does not have a switchable power supply (should be at the rear of the PC at the top for a midi PC), you can easily get one that is switchable and it is fairly easy to fit if your technically minded. Better than forking out $30 and then paying extra electric.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Steve Tyne is an unknown quantity at this point

I use this company below, they are good jus let them know what you are running, ie TV & playstation. We just got some kit from them for our factory as well. good luck,

TQ.
International Video & Electronics
Please call us at (847) 640-9000 or (877) 578-0587 if you
have any questions about this quotation.
Thank You
Phone #
847 640 9000
Fax #
847 640 9003
[email protected]
546 Crossen Ave
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
WWW.220-electronics.com
Toll Free (877) 578-0587
International +1-847-640-9000
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

alisonforster is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies for muscling in on this discussion, which has been extremely helpful, but I am in the process of moving to VI and have a brand new Sony Bravia TV I would very much like to take with me. It is 220V - 240V; 50Hz and 94W. Can anyone help in advising which step up/down transformer I should buy to accommodate this?

Thanks so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.