Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada V England

Canada V England

Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canada V England

The TWs are one half Canadian (Mrs) and one half British (Mr). I (Mr) have followed England (as has my half Welsh mother) since childhood. There are always hard decisions on loyalty to be made but I will support England at the Cricket World Cup as they have a realistic chance of winning. but in every other Canada match i am a Canuck. It's hard as i don't live there yet the 3 lions still draw me near.

The day England or GB meet Canada in a serious final in any sport ...let me know. Canada will beat any UK team at skiing, Ice Hockey etc, and any home nation team will beat Canada at Football, Rugby and Cricket. SO... I can support both nations in the knowledge that neither will seriously challenge the other at a major sport.

....P.S....Does anyone in Britain even know what Canadian Football is?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:53 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs
The TWs are one half Canadian (Mrs) and one half British (Mr). I (Mr) have followed England (as has my half Welsh mother) since childhood. There are always hard decisions on loyalty to be made but I will support England at the Cricket World Cup as they have a realistic chance of winning. but in every other Canada match i am a Canuck. It's hard as i don't live there yet the 3 lions still draw me near.

The day England or GB meet Canada in a serious final in any sport ...let me know. Canada will beat any UK team at skiing, Ice Hockey etc, and any home nation team will beat Canada at Football, Rugby and Cricket. SO... I can support both nations in the knowledge that neither will seriously challenge the other at a major sport.

....P.S....Does anyone in Britain even know what Canadian Football is?
The 8s rowing at the olympics is a potential conflict.

Supporting a team cos they are more likely to win is what led to a nation of Man U kids
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:58 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink

Supporting a team cos they are more likely to win is what led to a nation of Man U kids
Man Utd who just beat Lille and are through to the Champions League last 8...hurrah!! I was born in Cornwall so naturally I support the Red Devils....
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Ok ,..Ok, I didn't make myself clear, I'm not supporting them because they are the better team.... more like i feel i can divide loyalties on national sporting lines.

..... Look moving to a new country is hard enough without having to support one team against another .... what do I do?... (+ i was born in Australia)
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:12 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCrocker
Man Utd who just beat Lille and are through to the Champions League last 8...hurrah!! I was born in Cornwall so naturally I support the Red Devils....
Bad form to report sporting spoilers like that...some of us have to tape these things in the middle of the night and avoid the obvious sources of news in order to get the "live" experience. They get tetchy when it comes up here without a big warning not to look.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by The TWs

..... Look moving to a new country is hard enough without having to support one team against another .... what do I do?... (+ i was born in Australia)
Oh I agree, its one good reason for brits to choose Canada over Australia. None of that childish rivalry. Best thing to do is just shrug and say. "its only a game"...even if you dont really believe it
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really nice

Oh yes gotta love this topic !! The monaghans are off to St Lucia on Friday two weeks all inclusive and four games of cricket yeeehaaa !!

I'm going to Canada against NZ and also Kenya obviously supporting the Cannucks, England against NZ (supporting the old country there) and Canada Vs England - which will be a case of split loyalties for that one !!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:05 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Bad form to report sporting spoilers like that...some of us have to tape these things in the middle of the night and avoid the obvious sources of news in order to get the "live" experience. They get tetchy when it comes up here without a big warning not to look.
Whoops - won't do it again. Sorry
Old Mar 18th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

England are playing Canada now. It's a must win for England but even as a Brit wouldn't it be great to see Canada win?!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 1:54 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not into cricket but came across this astonishing defeat of Pakistan by Ireland.

Headline reads "Pakistani heads set to roll". Let's hope its a figure of speech

http://home.skysports.com/cwc/articl...&lid=4161&nav=
Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:39 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I'm not into cricket but came across this astonishing defeat of Pakistan by Ireland.

Headline reads "Pakistani heads set to roll". Let's hope its a figure of speech

http://home.skysports.com/cwc/articl...&lid=4161&nav=

Commentary here if anyone is interested (very poor quality commentary, but commentary nonetheless...)

http://stanjames.teamtalk.com/StanJames/Ashes_Popup
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Commentary here if anyone is interested (very poor quality commentary, but commentary nonetheless...)

http://stanjames.teamtalk.com/StanJames/Ashes_Popup
Indeed but better than nothing which is what I had before your link. So thanks for that.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:22 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepnek
Indeed but better than nothing which is what I had before your link. So thanks for that.
they're just so utterly disinterested...
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by stepnek
Has anyone felt the excitement building up amongst Canadians as they savour the prospect of Canada meeting England in the Cricket World Cup on March 18th? Me neither! But it's all true because this great cricketing nation called Canada will be playing the minnows England on that day and I'm having to decide who I'll be supporting. It's going to be a tough decision but as Canada winds itself up to fever pitch excitement over the event I'll be hoping that Canada stuffs England because that would be so cool. Imagine the street parties, the party atmosphere everywhere!

Now, where can I find a replica Canadian cricket shirt for the day? It's going to have to be a hockey shirt, isn't it?
You can get a hockey shirt just in time for the womens world hockey championships and watch them!

When is it on? Maybe if Im really really bored I might watch it!

Last edited by willmore; Mar 18th 2007 at 4:35 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
they're just so utterly disinterested...
I know but it's slightly better than watching paint dry and listening to it rather than following a text commentary on the BBC site would enable me to actually do some painting. If I had the interest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.