Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada to the USA by air, what do I do.

Canada to the USA by air, what do I do.

Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada to the USA by air, what do I do.

We are of to San Diego on Wednesday flying from Calgary, what do we need to do regarding Visa immagration etc.

Wife is Canadian so no hassle and I have my PR stamped in my passport etc.

Is it straight forward or can I expect rubber glove treatment?

Cheers.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:59 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada to the USA by air, what do I do.

Technically you're supposed to require ESTA pre-approval, which is needed 48hrs before flying, so you best look at that soon.... However, some people on here have reported that US border personnel aren't familiar with this when flying from Canada, so YMMV....
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Technically you're supposed to require ESTA pre-approval, which is needed 48hrs before flying, so you best look at that soon.... However, some people on here have reported that US border personnel aren't familiar with this when flying from Canada, so YMMV....
Just in case the OP is unfamiliar with the term, YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. In this instance it may vary between zero miles (i.e. you stay home), the distance between Calgary and San Diego (if you're lucky) and a pleasant journey to a place you'd prefer not to go (if you belong to some minority groups). Please get ESTA approval.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:11 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

At least US customs are at Calgary airport, saves an embarrassing trip to San Diego and back home again....
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Can I be really thick and ask what ESTA approval is?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

can I expect rubber glove treatment?

Can't put into words what I think you might mean...
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopster
Can I be really thick and ask what ESTA approval is?
Electronic System for Travel Authorization

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

Seems to be similiar to Australia's ETA, but I dont need to do the ESTA thing. I know the Senate passed a bill and if it clears the house and president, they will begin charging 10 dollars for it.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

KS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really niceKS2008 is just really nice

The US immigration people will treat you exactly the same way as they would if you were flying there from the UK. Your Canadian PR status is irrelevant to them.

Do you know if you are elligible for the US' visa waiver program (VWP)? If you are, then you just need to complete ESTA as everyone has said. If you're ineligible for the VWP, which for a UK citizen would normally be related to having been arrested in the past for what they call "crimes of moral turpitude" or for violating the terms of the VWP on a previous visit, then you need to get a visa.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KS2008
The US immigration people will treat you exactly the same way as they would if you were flying there from the UK. Your Canadian PR status is irrelevant to them.
Not quite irrelevant, as they may be interested in where someone is living and can/will that person return there.

Do you know if you are elligible for the US' visa waiver program (VWP)? If you are, then you just need to complete ESTA as everyone has said. If you're ineligible for the VWP, which for a UK citizen would normally be related to having been arrested in the past for what they call "crimes of moral turpitude" or for violating the terms of the VWP on a previous visit, then you need to get a visa.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

It is noteworthy that apart from simpler formalities, the exact same rules on admissibility apply to Canadian citizens.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not quite irrelevant, as they may be interested in where someone is living and can/will that person return there.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

It is noteworthy that apart from simpler formalities, the exact same rules on admissibility apply to Canadian citizens.
I have flew Canada to the US twice in the last couple of months - All you need to fill in is the green slip and present it to US customs (IMM94 I think it is) that you will get from your airline . No problems whatsoever getting out or back in