Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada or UK more expensive for....

Canada or UK more expensive for....

Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada or UK more expensive for....

Originally Posted by John_Wilson
Your buying power is only relevant to you though. Whatever your financial situation is, that's your financial situation. It doesn't apply to anyone but you.

You're posting subjective information based on your situation. Which is basically misinformation for everyone else. So it doesn't help anyone else, it just confuses everyone else.

I make much more money in Canada than I did in the UK, but it wouldn't be useful information if I posted on the forum saying "EVERYTHING IN CANADA IS SOOOOO CHEAP!!!"

Instead, the best (and most helpful) thing to do is post actual prices of things, and let other people decide for themselves if they think it's cheap or expensive.
Isn't that what most of the posters on this thread have done though? The original question was not ideal as it is very subjective and varies depending on area.
Tiaribbons situation is not unique to her and i can understand and agree with her point of view and i'm sure many others do too unless you are one of the lucky ones earning "Mega bucks" like you.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:40 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

You are definitely correct about one thing - I AM cute!!

Okay I have just dug out our last hydro bill - especially for you . 2 rates; part was charged at 5.3 cents per kWh and the other part was charged at 6.2 cents per kWh.

Based on the prices above and using 12,000 kWh's per annum here in Ontario it worked out to $1,375p.a (and we are on farm rate so we are given a farm-subsidy).

I have just completed the Southern Electric calculator based on our post code in the UK, which, although the cost specified before using the calculator was priced at 12p and 8p on completing the calculator, interestingly based on using 12,000 kWh's per annum, it worked out to £988p.a.

As you can see the cost per kWh "appears" less here in Ontario - I can only assume that the Delivery Charges are greater here than over in the UK........if you use my good ole' Buying Power Vs Exchange Rate.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

John_Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Tia's way of looking at things is certainly more realistic than comparing prices based on the exchange rate du jour.
Tia's way is realistic for Tia. Not you. Not me. Not anyone else.

Are we trying to help other people or not? Because, I'm trying to help others learn what things actually cost in Canada. Others are just posting subjective misinformation, which do you prefer?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Tia's way is realistic for Tia. Not you. Not me. Not anyone else.

Are we trying to help other people or not? Because, I'm trying to help others learn what things actually cost in Canada. Others are just posting subjective misinformation, which do you prefer?
I am lost. Where are we going with this thread. How can a bill be subjective??
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
As you can see the cost per kWh "appears" less here in Ontario
...and yet on the last page you wrote "Hydro is expensive here - much more than in England"

See how you just might be confusing people?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daft batty
I am lost. Where are we going with this thread. How can a bill be subjective??
Who said a bill is subjective?

I said that people posting whether they think things are more or less expensive or cheap is what's subjective. Especially when their opinion is based on their own financial situation.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

...and yet on the last page you wrote "Hydro is expensive here - much more than in England"

see how you might be??
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daft batty
see how you might be??
No, why don't you explain it?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:51 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Use my Buying Power Vs Exchange Rate - Canada = $1,375 - UK = £988. UK is cheaper to someone earning exactly the SAME FIGURE in $'s as in £'s.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:54 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my subjective BC Hydro Bill:

Aug14 to Aug 31
Basic Charge 18 days @ $0.12130/day 2.18
Usage Charge 624kW.h @ $0.06150 kW.h 38.38
Rate Rider @ 2% 0.81
(this is BC Hydro's illegal tax on taxable revenue to bolster it's own investment fund)

Sep 01 to Oct 12
Basic Charge 42 days @ $0.12130/day 5.09
Usage Charge 1458 kW.h @ $0.06150 kW.h 89.67
Rate Rider 2% 1.90
Clean Energy Fund Levy at 0.4% 0.39
(another illegal levy)
GST 8.28

Total $146.70

In the winter it goes up to about $248/billing cycle.
That does not include gas....which is about the $$$ same again. 4 bed house. Couple of loads of laundry a day. Meal cooked once daily.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Use my Buying Power Vs Exchange Rate - Canada = $1,375 - UK = £988. UK is cheaper to someone earning exactly the SAME FIGURE in $'s as in £'s.
...and that's great for that someone. Do you think that applies to everyone? Isn't it better to post objective information for everyone, instead of confusing subjective information that only applies to certain people?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:58 am
Premium Member

Dingbat;

Is this all that is on your bill? My bill has all the blurb about costs for kWh's etc and then we also have Delivery Charge ($60), Regulatory Charge ($6.49), Debt Retirement Charge (a debt that our Hydro company got themselves into) ($6.44) and finally good old GST ($7.78). This is on top of the usage.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Dingbat;

Is this all that is on your bill? My bill has all the blurb about costs for kWh's etc and then we also have Delivery Charge ($60), Regulatory Charge ($6.49), Debt Retirement Charge (a debt that our Hydro company got themselves into) ($6.44) and finally good old GST ($7.78). This is on top of the usage.
They charge you for the electricity AND to deliver it? Is that $60 a month?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:03 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

My gas bill is very objective. It is quite clear that I am being screwed:

Delivery Charges:
Basic Charge $10.94
Delivery (6.1GJ at 2.773 per GJ) $16.92

Commodity Charges:
Prior to Oct 1, 2007:
Midstream (3.2 GJ at 0.859 per GJ) $2.75
Cost of gas (3.2 GJ at 7.663 per GJ) $24.52

Eff Oct 1, 2007:
Midstream (2.9 GJ at 0.860 per GJ) $2.49
Cost of Gas (2.9 GJ at 6.926 per GJ) $20.09

Clean Energy Levy $.031
GST $4.67

Total $82.69

In the winter, double it. This is billed monthly; Hydro is just under bi-monthly.

Last edited by dingbat; Oct 28th 2007 at 1:07 am.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:04 am
Premium Member

...and that's great for that someone. Do you think that applies to everyone? Isn't it better to post objective information for everyone, instead of confusing subjective information that only applies to certain people?
I know it applies to many people, possibly a small majority - whether it applies to everyone is doubtful.

I can't see how it is confusing in the slightest - my replies are based on the exact same figure by exchanging the £ for the $. If someone is earning a greater figure here in Canada than they were earning in the UK, then they will likely live to a higher standard, however if they are earning the same figure then they will be living to a lower standard and if they are earning a lower figure then they might want to reconsider coming to Canada....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.