Canada Trip

Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Trip

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I'm 30, a chartered mechanical engineer
Be aware your chartership will probably not be recognized here and you will need to obtain your P Eng from your provincial licensing authority (APEGBC, APEGA etc.). Until then you cannot use the title Engineer.

Different provinces have different rules.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Shakyuk;11835880]
Unfortunately the jobs market in engineering doesn't seem to be great at the moment. But before the oil and mining markets went down Calgary seemed to tick all of the boxes.

I'd prefer to get out of nuclear and try something else to be honest. But my original plan was to include Ontario as changing country and sector may be a lot to ask!QUOTE]

Calgary is struggling at the moment due to the oil price, the oil companies are shedding jobs left right and center. Interestingly the low CAD, which is there due to oil and gas prices, is helping the BC mining industry who are able to sell commodities in US but pay operational costs in CAD. Mechanical engineers are also in reasonable short supply in the mining industry and tend to be quite highly paid as a result.

Worth thinking about. If you PM me I can give you a list of the mining consultancies in Canada, if that's your thing.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It depends what you mean by "small". We have 20 acres which is small for our area as, within about 500 metres of our property, the properties are quarter sections (160) plus.

I have a number of engineers as clients. None of them have been laid off and many of them are on contract and have seen little slowdown in the work they are being offered. I accept that this is a very small sample but it isn't all doom and gloom in Calgary.
I was thinking 20-40 acres, thanks for the information about the areas, I know what you mean about small acreages, my parents had similar but luckily the local farmer would trim it for them.

That's positive information about industry cheer,

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Be aware your chartership will probably not be recognized here and you will need to obtain your P Eng from your provincial licensing authority (APEGBC, APEGA etc.). Until then you cannot use the title Engineer.

Different provinces have different rules.
Cheers I was aware about registration, after the trip if I'm still positive about the move I'm going to register as I've read that it's better to register and get the process started before moving out.

I assume you're a UK trained engineer? It looks like you're now back in the UK from your location? What made you return?

Mining is actually very attractive to me, I'll send you a pm for the companies, that would be a great help, cheers
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking 20-40 acres, thanks for the information about the areas, I know what you mean about small acreages, my parents had similar but luckily the local farmer would trim it for them.

Cheers I was aware about registration, after the trip if I'm still positive about the move I'm going to register as I've read that it's better to register and get the process started before moving out.

I assume you're a UK trained engineer? It looks like you're now back in the UK from your location? What made you return?

Mining is actually very attractive to me, I'll send you a pm for the companies, that would be a great help, cheers
Mining is attractive? Not at the moment it isn't!

Majors are struggling and most of the juniors are clinically dead. Commodity prices are in the crapper. The only thing keeping much of the Canadian mining industry going is the tanking C$ (products are sold in US$ and most production costs are incurred in C$).

Things should improve (the resources clock is reckoned to be at 3) but there are lots of unemployed mining engineers and geologists out there.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just moved over here but have worked for a Canadian owned company for a while. I never got as far as sitting my prof. Review but I was with ICE who are a nightmare themselves.

I would find a job first and then register as you need registration in each province you want to practise. I know with APEGBC require a year of canadian work experience before you are formally registered.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvy

Majors are struggling and most of the juniors are clinically dead. Commodity prices are in the crapper. The only thing keeping much of the Canadian mining industry going is the tanking C$ (products are sold in US$ and most production costs are incurred in C$).

Things should improve (the resources clock is reckoned to be at 3) but there are lots of unemployed mining engineers and geologists out there.
Really does depend what field you are in. Mining Engineers and geologists are struggling because exploration work is low. However, existing operators always require support in meeting regulatory requirements and optimising what they have. Toronto and Vancouver are also global centres for mining finance. As a result there are many mining companies based here who don't have operations in Canada but employee consultants close to them. Good Mechanical engineers are rare in mining as they often find it a little boring, mostly pumps and such.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:31 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Really does depend what field you are in. Mining Engineers and geologists are struggling because exploration work is low. However, existing operators always require support in meeting regulatory requirements and optimising what they have. Toronto and Vancouver are also global centres for mining finance. As a result there are many mining companies based here who don't have operations in Canada but employee consultants close to them. Good Mechanical engineers are rare in mining as they often find it a little boring, mostly pumps and such.
You are rather preaching to the converted here.

I know this stuff. It's my job.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fair enough, posted more for the benefit of the OP. It's not all doom and gloom and as you say prices will pick up in the next few years.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
My attraction to mining is in the engineering context that there are interesting challenges for engineers and was in response to being told there are opportunities due to the falling Canadian dollar.

Just moved over here but have worked for a Canadian owned company for a while. I never got as far as sitting my prof. Review but I was with ICE who are a nightmare themselves.

I would find a job first and then register as you need registration in each province you want to practise. I know with APEGBC require a year of canadian work experience before you are formally registered.
Cheers for the info. You can get a foreign license with APEGA now and start the application from outside of Canada, its for engineers who haven't yet got Canadian citizenship. So I figured I'd start the ball rolling before I arrived but I take your point that if I got a job in a different province it would be a waste of time and money.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Souvy I appreciate the reply, I don't know if it's intentional but your replies come across very short and hostile.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:54 pm
Slob

Fair enough, posted more for the benefit of the OP. It's not all doom and gloom and as you say prices will pick up in the next few years.
Of course they will.

The current glut of commodities is causing low prices. That is making most juniors unviable. They'll never get the project financing (which is often hundreds of millions).

We're just going through a cycle.

There are several things going on at the moment in Canada. The juniors have got no money. Majors are divesting non-core assets, or trying to, at the same time as sniffing round bargains. The private equity outfits are creaming themselves.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:00 pm
Slob

Souvy I appreciate the reply, I don't know if it's intentional but your replies come across very short and hostile.
Not hostile at all.

Terse communication is normal in my line of business. We just communicate the message without putting a bow on it.

It normally works OK but electronic communication is a great way to unintentionally appear rude.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

OK

I suspect, but don't actually know, that there aren't many places in Bearspaw that are that large. Typically, in all areas surrounding the city, most acreages are in the less than 10 acres range. A quick search of realtor.ca will provide you with an indication of the price range of the acreages in your size requirement.

Another point is financing. Lenders will lend the usual amounts (as they would for a residential property in town city) for a percentage of the value of the acreage. Once you exceed that, they will only finance, say, 50% of the additional cost and you will have to fund the remainder. We found this out the hard way. After pre-qualifying, and they deciding to purchase a property some $100,000 below the amount we had pre-qualified for, we then discovered that we would have to find an additional $40,000 IIRC. Fortunately, we were able to do so. After moving in and speaking to others with similar properties, we discovered that this was normal and that, for some reason, lenders tend not to mention it until after any offer has been made.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A problem in internet forums is that, unless one has long experience of the posters in a specific forum, there's no way of knowing who is genuinely a subject matter expert putting answers simply and clearly without wasting a moment, and who is being short and hostile.

I don't detect any hostility in Souvy's posts.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:49 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by dbd33
A problem in internet forums is that, unless one has long experience of the posters in a specific forum, there's no way of knowing who is genuinely a subject matter expert putting answers simply and clearly without wasting a moment, and who is being short and hostile.

I don't detect any hostility in Souvy's posts.
We should get a room.

For the record, I am quite short. I can also be quite hostile, particularly toward clueless journalists and, increasingly, predatory investment bankers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.