Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada a struggle for newcomers

Canada a struggle for newcomers

Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:52 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canada a struggle for newcomers

Originally Posted by Silverkat
This confirms what I thought what I might have to do upon arrival. It's better to know and be prepared beforehand, that way you're not dissapointed with the professional side of the move to Canada. I have read posts of people that were apparently ready to move back their country of origin because they were'nt prepared.
In all honesty, I was prepared. I knew it would not be easy. I thought I'd be happy even to work at a Tim Horton's for a while on arrival (and actually told ex-colleagues and friends this back in the UK). And some people ARE happy to do that kind of thing. However, for me personally, when I arrived, I realised that Toronto did not have the same attraction it had 6 years ago for me and that it was just about on an equal footing with London in terms of pros/cons. In other words, I had rosetinted glasses on that came off pretty quickly.

I personally don't mind whether I stay or go back at this stage - but I certainly would need to have a semi-decent position to stay here as there is not enough to keep me here otherwise. I'm overall really disappointed with Toronto in so many ways that I am not going to stay here at all costs. I rather return sooner than later in an attempt to get my UK career back on track.

But everyone is different - and some people are so keen to get away from where they are so that they will do about anything.

I know that is a longwinded way of simply saying: You may think you are ready for the professional issues - but if other things do not work out for you or if you are finding that the place you moved to is not what you expected, then the professional side will become a major sticking point.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

Silverkat is an unknown quantity at this point

I have spent my entire career relocating and personally I am prepared for the major lifestyle changes. We want to go to Canada to give us some stability in a country we like and where I have a better chance of finding a job. Something I'm not guaranteed of here in europe.

Work is'nt everything, if we obtain PR I will be leaving a 22 year career with the same employer.
When you move a family regularly there comes a time when your job comes second and you look for a place suited for your family to settle.

We are looking forward to our new life in Canada and know there will be big changes in a lot of domains (we're used to it).
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:56 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Believe me, I know about relocating - as I was born into a family that relocated every 3-5 years from when I was a baby. All around the world, from Asia, Europe and North America. So I am no stranger to that kind of lifestyle. I am also looking to settle so that I can actually start that family. We moved to Canada thinking that this would be a better place to settle down and start a family - but from our perspective, it is not actually better. (I am only commenting from a Toronto perspective, though, I can't comment from any other perspective).

It is very different moving with an employer than moving on your own. Moving with my parents when I was young, we might have had issues adapting to a new culture, a few teething problems with bank accounts and spending too much money on certain things. Certainly there were lifestyle changes. But at the end of the day, there was an income already guaranteed. The employer helped us find our feet, set us up with hotels and apartments, etc.

I have no issues adapting to a new life and culture - what I do have issues with is losing all my savings (which is not that much) and going broke or barely surviving on some night shift work or in a 12-hour shift at poor pay if the place is not all that much better from a place where I might work the same hours, but at a pay I can actually survive and live a little on.

You are obviously at a different stage in life than we are - and for you this move may be the best - even if you leave your career and start something new. I wish you all the best of luck and genuinely hope that you find the happiness that you are looking for over here.

Last edited by gotoronto; Jul 20th 2008 at 12:06 am.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 12:48 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Immediately after arrival, I spent a month following up with contacts. I also tried to build some Canadian experience by finding voluntary work (that still continues). I had no Canadian experience or qualifications but had got a couple of years experience in the US.

I work within the environmental science discipline. "Environment" is generally rather trendy and the job market tends to be highly competitive. Many of the consultancy jobs in this field go to either engineers or economists - I am neither.

I was lucky enough to find a great (satisfying) job within 3 months or so of starting to look. I started on a slightly lower salary than I'd had in the UK but within 4 months was earning slightly more. That said, I have not had a classic career path so talking about levels is meaningless. I also earn significantly less than the sort of figures that seem to float around on here occasionally so am probably not the ideal careerist role model.

Originally Posted by gotoronto
I had rosetinted glasses on that came off pretty quickly.
It takes a big person to admit that on here. Have you considered elsewhere in Canada? There are certainly cheaper places to live if you cannot make Toronto work. I hope you find a solution.

Edit: should have also said that OH had a job when we came. Again, not exactly massive wages for living in Vancouver on but we weren't going to be rushing through the 12 months of living expenses we brought with us. That makes a big difference.

Last edited by acer rose; Jul 20th 2008 at 1:21 am. Reason: extra info
Old Jul 20th 2008, 1:12 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in BC July 1st 2007 and didn't start seriously looking for a job until mid July due to having no fixed address until we bought a house.

Once I had a cell phone and a house I started applying for a variety of jobs. My background is IT but I applied for a wide variety of jobs such as a painters helper to working in a shop until I saw a position advertised locally that sounded intresting.

My first day at work was August 17th and I had no prior CDN experience, in fact, the job I am doing now I had never done before anywhere and I'm surprised they hired me. But 1yr later I'm still going strong and I love it.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

I think responses to such threads are sometimes very misleading to prospective immigrants. Some posters make it seem that life is so easy - because they managed to get their jobs within a couple of weeks - sometimes even better paid than back home. Others make it seem really hard.

The only way that responses will give a more accurate picture of struggle vs no struggle is by elaborating and supplying at least information on:

a. The field they work in
b. The province they moved to
c. Whether they had any Canadian work experience and/or qualifications before starting the job hunt

My husband is in IT support. It took him 6 weeks to land a job in Toronto, no Canadian experience. It was the only job he was interviewed for, but he is doing late shift work and is overqualified for the position with his experience.

I am a UK qualified lawyer I have been searching for work for 2 months. I have a Canadian degree and some Canadian work experience (2 months, 6 years ago). I am not even looking for a job at my level, as I am not allowed to practice here until I requalify - but the only things that I am being considered for are legal assistant type jobs - and I am not qualified for those, as I can only type 40 words per minute. An agency thought I was snobbish not to go for a $30,000 a year position if it would come up. Maybe I am - but if that's all I earn, hubby and I can't afford to live here!

If I manage to requalify here, by the way, it will take me at least until 2012 to be back at the level I was at in the UK.

Canada can be wonderful for some newcomers and a struggle for others. We also have not had luck on our side - as we had some unexpected huge expenses which have diminished our landing funds - i.e. dental work which is hugely expensive here until you land a job with benefits.

I just wished that when such questions were asked, people would provide a little more background rather than making things seem so easy/hard by just giving the time it took them to find a job.
Like not working at all for nearly 3 years, partly out of choice because we work for ourselves, so we waited until we had residency.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

In all honesty, I was prepared. I knew it would not be easy. I thought I'd be happy even to work at a Tim Horton's for a while on arrival (and actually told ex-colleagues and friends this back in the UK). And some people ARE happy to do that kind of thing. However, for me personally, when I arrived, I realised that Toronto did not have the same attraction it had 6 years ago for me and that it was just about on an equal footing with London in terms of pros/cons. In other words, I had rosetinted glasses on that came off pretty quickly.

I personally don't mind whether I stay or go back at this stage - but I certainly would need to have a semi-decent position to stay here as there is not enough to keep me here otherwise. I'm overall really disappointed with Toronto in so many ways that I am not going to stay here at all costs. I rather return sooner than later in an attempt to get my UK career back on track.

But everyone is different - and some people are so keen to get away from where they are so that they will do about anything.

I know that is a longwinded way of simply saying: You may think you are ready for the professional issues - but if other things do not work out for you or if you are finding that the place you moved to is not what you expected, then the professional side will become a major sticking point.

Sorry to hear that things have not turned out like expected. I would take a look at other places.
We have neighbours that have moved here from Toronto to bring up their children. They now have a more balanced lifestyle and a good standard of living, partly with property being less expensive here.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Silverkat is an unknown quantity at this point

You are obviously at a different stage in life than we are - and for you this move may be the best - even if you leave your career and start something new. I wish you all the best of luck and genuinely hope that you find the happiness that you are looking for over here.
Thanks ! just hope we get PR first !

We've been preparing ourselves for this move for many years now.
The relocating part of my job has been disrupting and put a stop to my wife's career. Hopefully it will pick up in Canada..
I am, as you said at a different point in my life, my sons are in high school and it's hard to move them now.

Maybe you should look at moving to a town outside Toronto, (we changed our plans of moving to Toronto before we even got there), otherwise stick it out a few more months. Apparently you have'nt been there long, it sometimes takes a while to adjust. Stay positive.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:31 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

I'm really surprised how many people have landed without jobs - I mean kudos to you all but it would scare the c*** out of me to enter another country without the stablility of a job already! I'm impressed by how many of you have stuck it out & made it work!!

I got my job secured first, the wage is pretty much double that I get now I'm a nurse.) I would think that this would be the best way to do things to ensure you and give yourselves the optimum chance of making emigration work. I know it's the quickest way to get there if nothing else.

All I'm waiting for is that TWP which is due about now!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:49 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I think it also depends on when you arrive (which seeing it now takes 3+ years to get processed by CHC is not something you can control).

We arrived just before 9/11. Out of the outcomes of that event was that a lot of jobs just seemed to disappear. Unemployment was over double what it is now.

I got a temping job within 3 weeks of arriving, I fortunately picked up a long term contract that started on Monday Sept 10th 2001; but hubby was job hunting for nearly a year. In that time was picking up the odd day here and day and did a fair bit of volunteering in his field - IT - to get those vital contacts. (We were VERY slow networking. I'd say about 70% of jobs are never advertised in the small to medium sized companies..., and then it was a lot higher)

I also know peeps that arrived around (Engineers, computer & logistical folk, etc) the same time we did and never got jobs and went back to England, or kept the family in Canada and contracted in the UK. One chap was offered a job to gain Canadian experience - for the first 3 months he would not be paid, and then after that he would only be paid $10 an hour. He'd been looking for 6 months and could not believe how difficult the job hunt was turning out to be.

Yes, they could have worked for minimum wage somewhere. could just walk back into jobs... How would you feel coming over here with all your skills and experience to get minimum wage jobs not in our fields?

One of my friends did get a manual labour job, and said he was not the only one that he worked with that did just that to keep things going until something turned up (the thing is, some of them were still there after a decade or so...)

I am pleased that over the last 5 years most new comers I've met have not experienced huge difficulties getting jobs.

Clare
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:59 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Had two job offers one week before we moved. From the UK had trade quals and experience as well as accounting, my trade quals were seen as more valuable than any Canadian experience. This was why they hired me. Never bothered to re qualify in accounting, like counting the cash, but not other peoples.

Stayed with 1st employer for 4 years then went out on my own.

Cannot say for other industries, but we hire anybody who fits our skill requirements, immigrant or local (not hiring at present as we are a seasonal industry) and is willing to work.

If you ask many successful immigrants, they took lower paying jobs, as that is the way it is. Do what it takes. Quite a few gradually find ways of getting their income up to where they hope to be and also find other things that are more valuable than solely following the cash trail.

A lot depends also on what value one puts on achieving their life goals.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:10 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Had two job offers one week before we moved. From the UK had trade quals and experience as well as accounting, my trade quals were seen as more valuable than any Canadian experience. This was why they hired me. Never bothered to re qualify in accounting, like counting the cash, but not other peoples.

Stayed with 1st employer for 4 years then went out on my own.

Cannot say for other industries, but we hire anybody who fits our skill requirements, immigrant or local (not hiring at present as we are a seasonal industry) and is willing to work.

If you ask many successful immigrants, they took lower paying jobs, as that is the way it is. Do what it takes. Quite a few gradually find ways of getting their income up to where they hope to be and also find other things that are more valuable than solely following the cash trail.

I second that last statement!! However, would still not have had the guts to go without a job firmly secured 1st (but then again I have 3 kids to think of too, which makes a difference I think.)

I still think those who go out on what amounts to a wing & a prayer are very brave but it's good to see how many have managed to make a success out of it!

I guess doing the job I do has made it easier for me & as far as wages go I'll be on virtually double what I earn here, so that kinda helps a bit ;-)

I love reading everyone's stories on BE - even the bad ones - because you have to look at the whole picture - no rose tinted glasses here!! So thanks to one & all - looking forward to joining the Calgary branch of UK escapees really soon!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:08 pm
Elusive dreamer

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat

I also agree with your last statement. Everyone is different, at different stages in life and also has different life goals.

I am not one who *wants* to follow the cash trail myself. Reality is, if I want kids I have to follow the cash trail for now - otherwise I can't provide for them and it would be unfair to bring them into this world. I think for us the move was simply too early, we needed more savings behind us to do it. A lot of people who emigrate are 10 plus years older than us and have a house to sell in the UK which allows them to buy property outright here. We did not have anything - we arrived with all our possessions in 6 bags.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:12 pm
Elusive dreamer

Originally Posted by RN1
I guess doing the job I do has made it easier for me & as far as wages go I'll be on virtually double what I earn here, so that kinda helps a bit ;-)
You will find settling fine - and for you, this move will probably end up being for the better from so many angles!

Canada is desperate for people with your skills. You'll be welcomed with open arms. It's London's loss to see you leave.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:17 pm
Elusive dreamer

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
Sorry to hear that things have not turned out like expected. I would take a look at other places.
We have neighbours that have moved here from Toronto to bring up their children. They now have a more balanced lifestyle and a good standard of living, partly with property being less expensive here.
We have been looking at other places, but we simply did not come with enough to be able to experiment. We had particular reasons for wanting to be in Toronto.

We are actually ok about it, though. And we don't regret coming - we have learned so much. We are giving it a bit more time, but are by no means depressed about the prospect of having to go back. Every place has it's pros and cons. I just feel embarrassed about having categorically stated to everyone back in the UK that this is where I wanted to be and wanted to settle and then have to go back and admit I was wrong... .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.