Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is so far behind the times?

Canada is so far behind the times?

Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:04 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is so far behind the times?

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
Hi Jing,

I think you'll find it's this:

"Is that a fact?" - the man wondered.

The Hyphen denotes a continuation of the sentence.

Hmm, I'm not convinced. But, in any case - comma or hyphen - it sure ain't a Capital Letter!!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
"Canada is so far behind the times?"

What "times" is the OP exactly referring to?

If he means current life in the UK then give me Canada any day!
I couldn't agree with you more Fuschiagirl. I read some post on here, that said Canada was 30 years or so behind the the UK!

If that's true, I'd embrace that with both arms, - compared to the UK today!

Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Hmm, I'm not convinced. But, in any case - comma or hyphen - it sure ain't a Capital Letter!!
Jing,

A capital letter always follows a question mark - trust me! The question mark, exclamation mark, are all types of full stop, but using expression.

So after closing the sentence with a ? ! . you start the next sentence with a capital letter.

Trust me!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Jing,

A capital letter always follows a question mark - trust me! The question mark, exclamation mark, are all types of full stop, but using expression.

So after closing the sentence with a ? ! . you start the next sentence with a capital letter.

Trust me!
But I just gave you an example of a perfectly correct sentence that contains a question mark that is not automatically followed by a capital letter, as you stated it must be.

One thing I've learned in life Yogi, is that there are nearly always exceptions to the rules.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
But I just gave you an example of a perfectly correct sentence that contains a question mark that is not automatically followed by a capital letter, as you stated it must be.

One thing I've learned in life Yogi, is that there are nearly always exceptions to the rules.
Ok Jing, a wise statement, so let's agree, to disagree - yeah? I think we should
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:41 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its a lifestyle choice though, you choose corporate IT, so that will likely tie you to a major city
'Zactly - turgid corporate runt or freeform otherworldly entity. It's your call.

Whatever floats your boat, but don't be saying "I'm this and I'm stuck here doing that - because you're not. You're not a rat in a trap, unless you choose to be.

R.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
'Zactly - turgid corporate runt or freeform otherworldly entity. It's your call.

Whatever floats your boat, but don't be saying "I'm this and I'm stuck here doing that - because you're not. You're not a rat in a trap, unless you choose to be.

R.
That depends how unpalatable a choice you're willing to make. My income is split, roughly, taxes one third, alimony one third, me one third. If I were to move away from the city my income would drop but I'd still have to pay the alimony so I'd be choosing not to pay the taxes and/or not to eat. I don't have the choice of "freeform otherworldly entity". Lots of other people don't have that choice.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 12:40 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That depends how unpalatable a choice you're willing to make. My income is split, roughly, taxes one third, alimony one third, me one third. If I were to move away from the city my income would drop but I'd still have to pay the alimony so I'd be choosing not to pay the taxes and/or not to eat. I don't have the choice of "freeform otherworldly entity". Lots of other people don't have that choice.
Of course there are exceptions (trust you to be one of them) but on the whole people are not as tied down as they think they are. It's all in the mind/in their state of comfortable (comfortably numb) existence.

R.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Maybe for you thats true, but its not necessarily true for everyone. A fair number of posters here are immigrants that live with those views in the Rockies. Its a lifestyle choice though, you choose corporate IT, so that will likely tie you to a major city

After a while living here a two hour drive soon becomes not all that long in the great canadian scheme of things.
Once again, those are rare exceptions. Web design, stock market trading and feeding urban vacationers to grizzlies can surely be done in some remote scenic areas.

How much outdoors do you want and what do you want to do with it? This is commutable from downtown Toronto.
I believe you need at least 1.5 hours to get to downtown, right? Myself, I am not in finance-related IT, but in manufacturing. So ideally my job could be somewhere west from Toronto, and sure, if living where you do, commute on highway 10 would not be scary. I remember that it's nice around Orangeville, however it's no closer to Rockies than from Mississauga. And I don't complain about "entry level" outdoors here in the city. We can walk to the lake or to Erindale park on Credit river - there's a lot of options and you don't even have to drive.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Of course there are exceptions (trust you to be one of them) but on the whole people are not as tied down as they think they are. It's all in the mind/in their state of comfortable (comfortably numb) existence.

R.
Granted. People do generally have more choices than they acknowledge.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
I believe you need at least 1.5 hours to get to downtown, right?
One and a quarter but getting back again is another story.

Myself, I am not in finance-related IT, but in manufacturing. So ideally my job could be somewhere west from Toronto, and sure, if living where you do, commute on highway 10 would not be scary. I remember that it's nice around Orangeville, however it's no closer to Rockies than from Mississauga.
Hence the question about what you wanted to do with the outdoors. If it's hiking, sailing or horse riding Ontario can provide, if it's skiing forget it.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

One and a quarter but getting back again is another story.

Hence the question about what you wanted to do with the outdoors. If it's
hiking, sailing or horse riding Ontario can provide, if it's skiing forget it.
Hiking, cycling, yes, you are right. Actually, what I wanted to say is that I think that in making decision on immigrating many are fooled by those photographs of mountains, whatever. If two hour drive is okay, then I can say that living within two hours drive from Alps covers large territory in Europe, and views there in Alps are not less breathtaking, provided you don't go to "standard" tourist places.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Here Here Dinger24!

Not to be to critical of your post. but, there's always - always a capital letter after a question mark. Also, never would the word "and" follow a question mark.

So we all learn something new everyday

Yogi
Well everyday is a school day!
The day you stop learning, is the day you stop breathing!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Remember after a fullstop you should have a double space Yogi.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Hiking, cycling, yes, you are right. Actually, what I wanted to say is that I think that in making decision on immigrating many are fooled by those photographs of mountains, whatever. If two hour drive is okay, then I can say that living within two hours drive from Alps covers large territory in Europe, and views there in Alps are not less breathtaking, provided you don't go to "standard" tourist places.

It's true. The Rockies and their turquoise lakes lure people into considering Canada as an immigration destination.

However, one would hope that if people are wishing to live anywhere near the Rockies that they would do a bit of prior research to discover that the Rockies are only on the edge of BC and Alberta. I would hope that if people are seeking large mountains, they would do the research which would show them that large mountains only exist in BC and western Alberta.

I do wonder how many people do little to no research and just assume that one can find parallels to Rockies type scenery anywhere in Canada. If dramatic mountainous scenery is on the agenda, all of Ontario (and Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, and Nova Scotia, etc.) should be very low on your list. Vancouver or Calgary should be at the top instead.

You can think of it in a different light. Imagine a Canadian being lured to Europe with postcards of the Alps and the French Riviera. Now imagine them finding themselves in Coventry wondering where the palm trees and mountains are!

Last edited by Lychee; Oct 17th 2008 at 9:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.