Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is so far behind the times?

Canada is so far behind the times?

Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is so far behind the times?

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Its not all behind the times.

Real Estate: its years ahead of the UK on the transactional and representational side, maybe not the marketing to the public side.

Parking: Never a problem.

Fried Chicken:- every where.

Tim Hortens:- every where

er...... thats all folks ......
What aspects of Canadian real estate are ahead of the UK in your opinion?

What is the typical agents selling commision in Canada?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
What aspects of Canadian real estate are ahead of the UK in your opinion?

What is the typical agents selling commision in Canada?
The thing I like about Canadian real estate is that you pretty much know the closing date as soon as your offer is accepted. Also as a buyer you can get your own agent and it doesn't cost you a thing. I'll leave it to the realtors to explain it in more detail.

As for commission in Toronto it's around 4-5%.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
The thing I like about Canadian real estate is that you pretty much know the closing date as soon as your offer is accepted. Also as a buyer you can get your own agent and it doesn't cost you a thing.
As soon as your offer is legally accepted in England and Wales you know when the closing date is as well. Trouble is, in England and Wales, people fail to appreciate that there is a huge difference between someone saying they will buy your property on a verbal basis, and the deal being legal.

I have never had to pay an estate agent to buy a house in England and Wales either - please tell me, where is the difference ??

I do accept that the time between someone viewing a property and the deal being legal is usually quicker in Canada
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

I have never had to pay an estate agent to buy a house in England and Wales either - please tell me, where is the difference ??
I shouldn't type things when I'm distracted What I really meant was that as a buyer you can get your own agent who (hopefully) is looking out for your interests rather than having to go through the sellers agent.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:35 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

As soon as your offer is legally accepted in England and Wales you know when the closing date is as well. Trouble is, in England and Wales, people fail to appreciate that there is a huge difference between someone saying they will buy your property on a verbal basis, and the deal being legal.

I do accept that the time between someone viewing a property and the deal being legal is usually quicker in Canada
Our timeline from first viewing, to inspection, to seeing a lawyer, to purchase was less than 48 hours. Most of it on a weekend.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:36 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
..... as a buyer you can get your own agent who (hopefully) is looking out for your interests rather than having to go through the sellers agent.
haaa that's too funny.

R.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rich_007
haaa that's too funny.

R.
even funnier I actually liked my Realtor, although she was slightly scary
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Our timeline from first viewing, to inspection, to seeing a lawyer, to purchase was less than 48 hours. Most of it on a weekend.
I don't doubt it, just like, I don't doubt that the same is possible for a cash buyer in England and Wales
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:04 pm

I don't doubt it, just like, I don't doubt that the same is possible for a cash buyer in England and Wales
It doesn't have to be a cash purchase. Solicitors doing the conveyancing for regular deals can move bloody fast if forced to. One place I sold in England had the exchange on Friday and completion on Monday, although I had to fight tooth and nail for it.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:44 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

How do you define wilderness ?

10 minute drive to the bush (local parks) and 25 minutes into total wilderness.

Some of us manage it; you just have to trade of your oh-so-sophisticated busy urbanite lifestyle for redneck ways.

R>

please NO.....

I find the urbanites too backward here.....

I can't comprehend life going any further backward
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It doesn't have to be a cash purchase. Solicitors doing the conveyancing for regular deals can move bloody fast if forced to. One place I sold in England had the exchange on Friday and completion on Monday, although I had to fight tooth and nail for it.
They can, but not if searches and the like are required. Even if the purchasers don't care about them, the lenders do. I have had clients that exchanged and completed on the same day, (not recommended) so it's not the time between exchange and completion that normally holds things up, but the time leading to the purchaser being able to exchange.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:48 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
please NO.....

I find the urbanites too backward here.....

I can't comprehend life going any further backward
To be redneck is to be happy.

Fact: urbanites are less happy with life.

R.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

R.
My FIL is a redneck and manic depressive not a good combination.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

R.
Perhaps the urbanites are more backward. In the country you're obliged to get along with the few neighbours you have regardless of their quirks, there aren't enough people to be able to shun any of them.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:58 pm

R.
Fact: agricultural workers have the highest suicide rate, after medics (in the UK, anyway)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.