Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is so far behind the times?

Canada is so far behind the times?

Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:40 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is so far behind the times?

Originally Posted by retsujou
Well as funny as it sounds, when you fax something from point A to Point B it is actually recognised as legally binding document. In Austria it has something to do with the way the telecommunication law is written and Fax machies being perceived to not being capable of altering the residual image of the document once it has entered the buffer.

When you scan something and then email it, the resulting document is not legally binding because your computer is capable of altering that image prior to sending it.
That used to be the case, but I thought email was now considered legally binding?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retsujou
When you scan something and then email it, the resulting document is not legally binding because your computer is capable of altering that image prior to sending it.
But the real document can be altered prior to scanning/faxing as well. If one has a sample of a person's signature, it's easy to place that sample appropriately on a document and then photocopy or scan it and then fax it. The fax received has the appearance of having been signed when it wasn't.

I'm amazed people accept such faxes unless it's within the same organisation and the sender is confirming all is above board.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The word 'Handicapped' is still considered acceptable.
Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
With the acceptable alternative being ?

For the record, I am handicapped and don't whether people call me handicapped, disabled or any other form of adjective one wishes to use.

Please explain what is wrong with handicapped ?
A couple of answers given already, but those that work with disabled people and some disabled people themselves have long since disapproved. I have no strong feelings either way but who am I to disagree with such folk.

The UK abandoned words like spastic, backwards, MSN (mentally sub-normal) and organisations dropped them from their titles. New descriptions have replaced old ones.

We are now encouraged to refer to 'learning disabilities' and does anyone remember we used to use terms like Mongol or Mongoloid?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:09 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

]The UK abandoned words like spastic, backwards, MSN (mentally sub-normal) and organisations dropped them from their titles.
...and the Microsoft fun boys joyously adopted MSN. Smart move, geeks.

R.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:13 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
The banks don't have glass partitions up to separate the tellers from the public.
So now there's a lot more armed robberies from banks.

Robbing, the Canadian way:

Teller: "Good morning sir"
Robber" "Hi maam, please give me all your cash and don't make a fuss"
Teller: "Why certainly sir".
Robber: "Why thank you maam".
Teller: " Is there anything else I can help you with today, sir?"
Robber: " No maam I'm good".
Teller: "Why that's just hunky dory then, have a great day sir".
Robber: "You too, maam".

R.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:38 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I got told today that my skills and experience were two years ahead of Canadian businesses. Apparently this is not a good thing
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:45 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
I got told today that my skills and experience were two years ahead of Canadian businesses. Apparently this is not a good thing
No. It is not a "good thing".

There'll be gossiping, bitching, and back stabbing.

Just act dumb. Polite, but dumb. And run at half speed, that'll do it.

R.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Norman Family
Hi

We have read several posts on here saying that Canada ia about 15 years behind the times, when compared to the UK etc. Can you give examples of this and explain what that means?
Are you talking about materialistic things or attitudes or something else? Its a bit confusing?!

thanks
It's interesting thinking about this ....

Certain technologies are certainly behind the times. At first I missed internet grocery shopping and banking. (These are available here now but have a bit of catching up to do.) Mobile phones seem "old-fashioned" ..but only by a year or two. (I remember a sales assistant in a Rogers store seeing our UK phone and just about peeing his pants with excitement! )

Far fewer people seem to care about fashion labels or fancy new cars. (Perhaps the car thing is because second hand ones are so flippin expensive?)

Anyway, it's a slower pace of life here where we are on Vancouver Island. Literally. I swear I'm so used to going at 80kmh on the highway that when I have to drive at 80mph (to keep up with everyone else) on the motorways in the UK it actually feels scary!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:53 am
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by G77
That used to be the case, but I thought email was now considered legally binding?
Not unless the email has been digitally signed and thus message integrity and the "sender's identity" can be cryptographically ascertained. To verify the sender the Certificate Authority gets consulted and those need to be government approved.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:55 am
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

But the real document can be altered prior to scanning/faxing as well. If one has a sample of a person's signature, it's easy to place that sample appropriately on a document and then photocopy or scan it and then fax it. The fax received has the appearance of having been signed when it wasn't.

I'm amazed people accept such faxes unless it's within the same organisation and the sender is confirming all is above board.
What I was trying to say is that the law assumes once the file, the actual original is _inside_ the fax buffer, it is impossible to alter it. Of course you can feed a faked document into it but that is not what concerns the law.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:55 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Its not all behind the times.

Real Estate: its years ahead of the UK on the transactional and representational side, maybe not the marketing to the public side.

Parking: Never a problem.

Fried Chicken:- every where.

Tim Hortens:- every where

er...... thats all folks ......
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:56 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle
Far fewer people seem to care about fashion labels or fancy new cars.
I tend to think it's a different type of 'fashion' - more geared to the outdoors lifestyle. Not yer Armani jeans or D+G t-shirt.

Ever been to a ski hill or bike park ? It's all about stylin'. Turn up looking like a jerkwad with tatty old crap and you'll be laughed off the hill. etc.

Bling is dead. Long live the bling.

R.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Positive: ... quality of life (intangibles), pace of life, opportunity to buy/use toys, access to wilderness, yadda yadda. Most of the positives are intangible.
As we've discovered, unless you live in that "wilderness", access is easier or the same in Europe for most of people. Meaning that driving several hundred kilometers one way is not what you normally do on weekend. In most of Europe you can have nice scenery after driving two or three hours away from metro areas.

Living in relative "wilderness" is possible in Europe too, but same as in Canada, most of us will get no jobs there.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:59 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
Living in relative "wilderness" is possible in Europe too, but same as in Canada, most of us will get no jobs there.
How do you define wilderness ?

10 minute drive to the bush (local parks) and 25 minutes into total wilderness.

Some of us manage it; you just have to trade of your oh-so-sophisticated busy urbanite lifestyle for redneck ways.

R>
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:12 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well, basically it means that Canada hasn't gone down the Thatcherist road to ruin which the UK has followed for the last 30 years. Although today's election hasn't helped.
Yet!

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
That's enough talk of Milton Keynes for now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.