Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is so far behind the times?

Canada is so far behind the times?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:20 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is so far behind the times?

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Well, seeing as you brought that up again... But, sorry, Yogi, you're wrong there too.

The sentence below (mine) is perfectly correct:

"Is that a fact?", the man wondered.

Your suggestion, using a hyphen immediately after quotation marks instead of the comma, is wrong.
Not quite, Jings, but getting warmer.

"Is that a fact?" the man wondered.

The question mark punctuates the direct speech; there is no need for any additional punctuation where you have your comma, and in any event punctuation immediately after an inverted comma is (almost) always incorrect.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:33 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dinger24
Aye
Gid yin

What about my mum
She is old and some of her phrases may be (as we in her family have thought for many years) drug related.

"mind an clean your oxsters"
"gan ben the scullery and yse the dishil ti clean the bunker"

These are genuine!
noticed a lot of the lingo/dialect falling by the wayside - mixed feeling about this

mum's side of the family come from 'out the road' ie deep teuchtar land, some of the terms there have nae muckle ees in today's society, at same time shame to see the teens turn into sceptic clones

am away to bile ma heid
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:42 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
been on the Irvine Welsh again ye radge ye ?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Aye yer richt, awa an bile yer heed!
Aye she was jist a kelty clipper!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Shawn_ldn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Some of us came here to work, not to stay or to integrate, and in my case part of my reason for being brought over was to try and bring it closer to the 21st century, to inject those ideas and working practises that keep European companies ahead of their Canadian counterparts, I don’t want it to be like the UK I don’t care about it enough, but I would like it to catch up with the rest of the G8 nations because it impacts my worklife
hey, cool. An economic crusader/evangelist.
Tell me, exactly how much has the Canadian government had to give the Canadian finance sector to bail them out?
As opposed to those far more efficient G8 countries, they're such clever fellas. You must be terribly disappointed you got the backwaters posting....

Last edited by Shawn_ldn; Oct 21st 2008 at 5:47 am.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:36 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shawn_ldn
hey, cool. An economic crusader/evangelist.
Tell me, exactly how much has the Canadian government had to give the Canadian finance sector to bail them out?
As opposed to those far more efficient G8 countries, they're such clever fellas. You must be terribly disappointed you got the backwaters posting....

So nothing to do with the fact that the collapse of the banks occurred here too, as they too had invested in the US market but less so due to legislation, but the impact was also minimised not by industry but by Oil and commodity prices rising
It says nothing about the state of industry in this country; just go look at the auto sector in Canada which is slowly going the same direction as the UK auto industry did 30 yrs ago
Don’t be surprised to see many US companies when the squeeze is on to dump Canadian jobs to save US jobs, and don’t be surprised to find that many Canadian companies turn out to be American owned
Like they say Canada is behind the times, thing just happen a little later here, except in the case of our stock market which can often lose money faster than our friends to the south

Last edited by MikeUK; Oct 21st 2008 at 4:08 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

We lived and banked in Switzerland for a while - they charged a monthly fee which was waived if you had a certain amount in there. We bank with First direct in UK who will charge if you don't save with them. We pay for banking here too - no difference. But I do know the people in the branch and I do like not having the glass screen in the branches. Much nicer.

Phones- free local landline calls - great. Yes bt can be free in UK but local is miniscule there! Also, get a 1 year $100 PAYG and it really isn't expensive.

Shopping is fine - no one is rude. If you don' want to chat then self scan and DIY.

I've no complaints. Other than no frills not taking visa (WT?) but they do take mastercard! Bizarre!