Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is so far behind the times?

Canada is so far behind the times?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:36 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada is so far behind the times?

Originally Posted by johnh009
But the Governor General does (re. reference to royal family).
Typical bleedin' refugee immigrant. Just look at the government handouts she gets. Two houses? She must have lots of kids.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:07 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
We are a civil engineer (nothing to do with oil and gas) and an engineering geologist. Nowhere matches the opportunities coupled with world class skiing. In fact pretty much zero job opportunites for non bilingual within commuting distance of the alps.
Nope not even close to being true,
Zurich and Geneva as well as in the Lausanne area Big Multi nationals often hire English speakers as its the common language used by all in Switzerland.
And as for world class skiing there are more world cup or Olympic class runs in Europe than anywhere else
In the top twenty world cup runs 15 are in Europe 1 in Canada and 2 in the states, the other two are Japan and Sweden
So if its demanding skiing you want then I’d stick to Europe, but then very few people who ‘talk the skiing’ ever over-night-ed on the train to go skiing in France which is totally do-able from London UK
But then why bother when East Midland to Geneva is £60ish
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

What I've noticed so far:

Banking system - eg most of their chequing/current accounts are fee based. You have to pay a fee for cheques, for using other banks' ATMs, for making too many transactions.

Mobile phones - the contracts that they offer are ridiculously expensive and their phones are a bit old. Even their pay as you go is crap - credits expire after 30 days, you have to pay $1 per month for being able to dial 911. Calls are expensive!

Checkout service - it's not Tesco where they try to get as many customers through the tills as fast as possible. Here, the staff doesn't seem to give a toss and take their own sweet time, even if the queue is really long.

Online shops - there doesn't seem to be many online shops compared to the UK. Even ebay.ca doesn't seem to be too popular.

Post service - I regret ever criticising Royal Mail. The postal service here is slow and unreliable. The postman leaves the parcels at the doorstep without ringing to see if anyone's in.

Product display prices - The price I see isn't the price I pay. You have to add tax GST + PST on top, which is damn annoying.

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Oct 20th 2008 at 2:12 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Shawn_ldn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo

Checkout service - it's not Tesco where they try to get as many customers through the tills as fast as possible. Here, the staff doesn't seem to give a toss and take their own sweet time, even if the queue is really long.

Product display prices - The price I see isn't the price I pay. You have to add tax GST + PST on top, which is damn annoying.
sorry, the service here is infinitely better than the UK, it may be slower because the checkout staff actually talk to the customers.....
And Canada is not the only country that adds tax on to the list price.

Get a grip people, time to integrate and enjoy. Perhaps also a good time to get outside and get a hobby!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shawn_ldn
sorry, the service here is infinitely better than the UK, it may be slower because the checkout staff actually talk to the customers.....
And Canada is not the only country that adds tax on to the list price.

Get a grip people, time to integrate and enjoy. Perhaps also a good time to get outside and get a hobby!
It depends on what you consider as good service at the checkout. I'd rather get my stuff scanned and paid for as quickly as possible instead of having to wait a long time and get to chat, which rarely happens anyway, to the member of staff.

Well Canada may not be the only country that adds tax on top but the point of this thread is to compare the differences between it and the UK. It's only normal for us to make those comparisons. Are you saying that this thread shouldn't exist? These are things that we can't change and we all know we have to adapt to them.

Last edited by SambaDeAmigo; Oct 20th 2008 at 2:24 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:22 pm

Banking system - eg most of their chequing/current accounts are fee based. You have to pay a fee for cheques, for using other banks' ATMs, for making too many transactions.

Those fees can be avoided if you keep a certain balance in your account.

Mobile phones - the contracts that they offer are ridiculously expensive and their phones are a bit old. Even their pay as you go is crap - credits expire after 30 days, you have to pay $1 per month for being able to dial 911. Calls are expensive!

Agreed. I wouldn't have one, if I didn't need it for work.

Depends on the supermarket. Our local IGA cashiers move fast and there is a guy at the end packing the stuff for you.

Online shops - there doesn't seem to be many online shops compared to the UK. Even ebay.ca doesn't seem to be too popular.

Post service - I regret ever criticising Royal Mail. The postal service here is slow and unreliable. The postman leaves the parcels at the doorstep without ringing to see if anyone's in.

Any doorstep will do.

Suck it up.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:30 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

True, a bit annoying, but good friendly service.
Don't even get started on Rogers....
So much better than Tesco here. At IGA there are never big queues and your food is packed for you. It's so much more pleasant than in Europe and I don't have to wait for long in queues either....

So problem here, the postwoman always rings the bell if there is a parcel.
I love dollarama where everything costs $1.13 Luckily there's nothing to buy there... I get used to expecting to pay a bit more - I'd say it's the least of my problems with Canada
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:34 pm

That's two IGA fans, then.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:44 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. It's Little Britain, people won't do that.

R.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a grip people, time to integrate and enjoy.
Integrate? Pah!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Integrate? Pah!
We need to get into a deep philosophical discussion about this. For a start..

<checks watch - oooops>
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:22 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

There's something rather ironic about people who choose to leave a country that they perceive is more up to date to come to Canada and then complain that in their opinion it is behind the times, and/or start to nit-pick about everything that isn't exactly like the UK. Keeping in mind that Canada is made up of immigrants from all over the world, I wonder why they think it should be just like the UK. Most of us are glad it's not, and prefer to live here anyway.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:25 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
I wonder why they think it should be just like the UK. Most of us are glad it's not, and prefer to live here anyway.
But it's the UK...everywhere should be like it.

R.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:34 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
There's something rather ironic about people who choose to leave a country that they perceive is more up to date to come to Canada and then complain that in their opinion it is behind the times, and/or start to nit-pick about everything that isn't exactly like the UK. Keeping in mind that Canada is made up of immigrants from all over the world, I wonder why they think it should be just like the UK. Most of us are glad it's not, and prefer to live here anyway.
Some of us came here to work, not to stay or to integrate, and in my case part of my reason for being brought over was to try and bring it closer to the 21st century, to inject those ideas and working practises that keep European companies ahead of their Canadian counterparts, I don’t want it to be like the UK I don’t care about it enough, but I would like it to catch up with the rest of the G8 nations because it impacts my worklife
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:36 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I don’t want it to be like the UK I don’t care about it enough, but I would like it to catch up with the rest of the G8 nations because it impacts my worklife
Then you would be out of a job, you goofus.

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.