Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada signs FATCA treaty

Canada signs FATCA treaty

Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada signs FATCA treaty

Originally Posted by Steve_
So if you've happened to mention you're a US citizen to them, it is plausible it could end up in the hands of the IRS, at least for people with more than $50,000 in the bank.

Bear that in mind next time you open a bank account and see that question on the form.
I think I'll avoid any such trouble by:

- not telling the bank I'm an American

- not having $50,000

Easy, really.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest - have you read the Canada/U.S. FATCA agreement? The actual obligations on banks are much less than what is suggested on this thread. No reporting on anything less than $50k, limited electronic searches for amounts less than $1m, and so on. And nothing in the agreement obliges banks to actively seek out potential U.S. citizens among their customers if their records do not indicate any U.S. ties.

The reaction in Canada, or at least among a section of Canadian opinion, is way out of proportion to what the Agreement involves.
Yes, I have read it.

When it comes to actually implementing this, identification and reporting are not necessarily intertwined. The fact that the banks won't report balances under $50k doesn't mean that they won't try to identify "US persons" ahead of time. In fact, it makes sense that they would so that if the balance reaches $50k, they can quickly and automatically trigger the reporting mechanism. That's the way I would expect the system to be designed. Anyone not already flagged as a US person might trigger another audit if their balance reaches reportable levels. Anyone who holds a joint account with a US person is also affected. Same goes for anyone who co-owns a property or business with a US person.

Also, this affects every customer regardless of whether they are a US person or not - or whether they hold joint accounts or co-own a property or business with a US person. It's going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars to implement FATCA. That cost won't be eaten by the banks because that's not what banks do. They will pass this cost on to all of their customers one way or another.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 6:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is the first person I asked was the bank teller and she told me she uses it to check if people are lying about who they are, presumably based on their appearance or their accent. Which I thought sounded a bit like racial profiling but anyway they must have it for a lot of people for her to be able to say that.

I think we all know there is going to be a headline along the lines of "pensioner has money seized by IRS because bank told them" at some point in the next few months. Even if it is only one person.

dbd33 has made me think it's more likely actually because if they export the data into CSV or whatever and then run an SQL query and produce a CSV off that, someone at some point is going to make a mistake and include Joe Blow with $5 on account who happened to use his US passport 20 years ago to open an account and never thought about it. And then the CSV gets uploaded to the FATCA portal.

Last edited by Steve_; Mar 5th 2014 at 6:54 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is the first person I asked was the bank teller and she told me she uses it to check if people are lying about who they are, presumably based on their appearance or their accent. Which I thought sounded a bit like racial profiling but anyway they must have it for a lot of people for her to be able to say that.

I think we all know there is going to be a headline along the lines of "pensioner has money seized by IRS because bank told them" at some point in the next few months. Even if it is only one person.

dbd33 has made me think it's more likely actually because if they export the data into CSV or whatever and then run an SQL query and produce a CSV off that, someone at some point is going to make a mistake and include Joe Blow with $5 on account who happened to use his US passport 20 years ago to open an account and never thought about it. And then the CSV gets uploaded to the FATCA portal.
Your credibility as being a non-frothing loon is severely compromised.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Your credibility as being a non-frothing loon is severely compromised.
Why because I'm now fully frothing or because I'm not a loon?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 5:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Mmm, anyway, check out the new IRS form W-BEN (which you basically have to fill in if you are the non-resident holder of a US bank account and various other things) which has been redesigned to comply with FATCA. Have a read of the fun instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8ben.pdf

The question on your foreign tax ID has been revised, used to be "optional" now it says to provide it if it is a US office of an FFI, which I assume means say, a US branch of a Canadian bank.

So basically they're asking for your SIN now to make it easier to identify you. And tie you together with your CRA records which they have access to under the tax treaty.

So if you say you're non-resident on this form and they can tie you together with anything they've got that says you're a US person, mmm.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 11:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The question on your foreign tax ID has been revised, used to be "optional" now it says to provide it if it is a US office of an FFI, which I assume means say, a US branch of a Canadian bank.
The instructions actually say:
http://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw8ben/ch02.html

Line 6.
If you are providing this Form W-8BEN to document yourself with respect to a financial account that you hold at a U.S. office of a financial institution, provide the tax identifying number (TIN) issued to you by your jurisdiction of tax residence unless:

You have not been issued a TIN, or
The jurisdiction does not issue TINs.

If you have not provided your jurisdiction of residence TIN on line 6, provide your date of birth in line 8.

Note in particular, the use of the term financial institution as opposed to foreign financial institution. It applies to any U.S. bank.

So basically they're asking for your SIN now to make it easier to identify you. And tie you together with your CRA records which they have access to under the tax treaty.
What they want to do is identify the (Canadian) SIN of any Canadian resident with a U.S. account, (Australian) Tax File Number of any Australian resident with a U.S. account, and so on. This will likely be transferred to the CRA and other tax authorities.

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 7th 2014 at 11:50 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 9:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Great.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

In the news today: http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...432/story.html

The comment about CGT is wrong I'm pretty sure, the US-Canada tax treaty says "resident" and clearly she's a resident of Canada.