Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada right for us?

Wikiposts

Is Canada right for us?

Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada right for us?

Originally Posted by neo1982
A good standard of life for us would be, peaceful surroundings, close to beautiful scenary, good educational facilities & health care, nearby amenities & somewhere that has a relatively low crime rate & friendly people. Somewhere we could settle down as a family & help our children lead sucessfull healthy lifes.
Whilst not disagreeing with the warnings of previous posters the above is certainly available n parts of Canada.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Whilst not disagreeing with the warnings of previous posters the above is certainly available n parts of Canada.
And also in parts of the UK.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Have you actually ever been to Canada? if not then i strongly suggest a reccie when the flights are good and the exchange rate is abit better........

I have heard stories of people immigrating before even visiting the place and after selling up, giving up good jobs a comfortable lifestyle and the cost involved in immigrating, hating it in Canada and having to return a few months later....

Only you and your partner can decide if this move is right or not for you.....

MR79
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:50 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And also in parts of the UK.
Are you ever going to move over ?!?!?!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:02 am
Just Joined

neo1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tangram
Are you ever going to move over ?!?!?!
It's interesting listening to each & every post, each one valid in it's own right.

I have a friend/ex-colleague who packed up & moved over with his wife to Calgary last year & he says things are going well for him, they have just bought a house & he's settling into his new job. I know every situation is different though.

I have another work colleague that has moved to Perth, Australia & they sound like they are making it work too.

I agree with what people are saying, that what I am looking for in life the UK already has that to offer. This is true & I could quite happily remain here & lead the life I want. But I know what the future has too offer in the UK & I have a feeling that the UK's economy & prospects will never reach those of countries like USA/Canada/Australia & China.

I have never been to Canada, the furthest I've ever strayed away from home is Greece With money being tight, I couldn't afford too many trips to Canada to check the place out too much. But I agree, I think I need to at least venture there once to see what the country is like on the ground.

I think I also need to take my career down a speciality that is sort after too. My friend moved to Canada with a Business Degree in Management & has fitted into a Project Management role in the Health Sector.

I wish I had thought of doing this when I was 18, single & care free. It gets more risky the older & more committed you get.

Thank you for all your comments, I look forward to posting more on this site in future, it seems a great community.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Think of it as £400 for a flight over and doing a reccie 1st to see even if you like it or not OR £20000 plus on immigrating there without not having been before, not knowing where to live etc.................

Good luck and all the best......keep us posted on your progress......

MR79
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
There are probably more possiblities for a unique lifestyle here than in the UK.
The OP would seem to want a numbingly ordinary lifestyle but I wonder what this means. What "unique lifestyle" is more sustainable in one country than the other? I suppose a polygamist ice sculpture carver would have a hard time in the UK, due to legal and climatic problems, but then a nudist fashion designer would be out of luck in Canada, due to climatic issues and the lack of fashions.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

i can't really help with your job situation, but maybe I can help you on the more general stuff

i'm australian, moved to canada (and want to stay), and i'm also a frequent visitor to the uk since im half english.

as for general day to day living, australia and canada feel pretty much the same. they are way closer to each other than either is to the uk. in canada, there is probably more of a difference from province to province than there is in australia from state to state.

as for climate, i prefer canada, since i get to ski here 6 months of the year. but its really a personal thing. just remember that it might sound awesome to have 4 or 5 months of 25 degree+ weather. but its not so awesome when you're going to work in a suit and its 35 degrees out there. but yeah... its a personal thing. either climate beats the uk - if i'm going for a cold climate i'd rather snow than rain

i feel like australian employers are probably more in tune with british qualifications and experience than canadian employers are. there are a ton of brits over there.

affordability is probably about the same. although i noticed when i went back to sydney last month that things are getting pretty expensive, although maybe i just never realized how expensive they were before. i think in either country if you're earning approx $100k between you that is enough for a "decent" standard of living. but i'd think an IT guy and a nurse could probably do a bit better than that

hope this helps
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

We are looking to emigrate from the UK. Here is our current situation:

- Co-habiting Couple
- Male, 27, Senior ICT Technician (Qualified at Diploma Level, MCP, MCSA, ITIL)
- Female, 30, Nursery Nurse (Qualified at Diploma Level, also a qualified Holistic Therapist)
- Daughter, 19 months
- £17,000 savings
- Own a property which we are letting out
- Currently living in rented accommodation
- No family ties
- No debts, credit cards or CCJ's

We are both really keen on moving to Canada or Australia, having done some research, Australia seems a little bit expensive, but has a better climate.

We are looking for a fresh start & to provide our daughter with a better standard of life than the UK would offer.

I'd like to know what your thoughts would be on the following:

1. Would we be accepted into Canada?

2. Would we be able to find work in our fields?

3. Is the lifestyle lightyears ahead of the UK?

4. Would we be able to afford to have a decent standard of living?

We are very careful with money, we don't keep up with the Jones' & only live to our needs.

Thank you for reading
For what it's worth, my opinion is that people get too philosophical over these issues. Emigration need not be forever, it is a great experience to spend at least a part of your life in a different country. Everywhere has it's pros and cons. But don't fall into the trap of letting it become a Canada vs. UK issue. Countries are supposed to be different. Diversity makes the World interesting. Better to try than look back down the road and say "I wish I had gone to...." Some find it better, some do not. It is basically up to you.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 26th 2010 at 9:57 am.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Suck it and see. Reccie trips seem like a good idea but their value is limited. Save the money, avoid burning your ties to UK and get out here. Use this site to work out a place you think you might want to live, and find work.

It's a bit of a lottery though. Many here will go on and on about having the right attitude, fitting in with the Canadian way of doing things etc etc. But you'll need a good dose of luck to survive.

It's interesting listening to each & every post, each one valid in it's own right.

I have a friend/ex-colleague who packed up & moved over with his wife to Calgary last year & he says things are going well for him, they have just bought a house & he's settling into his new job. I know every situation is different though.

I have another work colleague that has moved to Perth, Australia & they sound like they are making it work too.

I agree with what people are saying, that what I am looking for in life the UK already has that to offer. This is true & I could quite happily remain here & lead the life I want. But I know what the future has too offer in the UK & I have a feeling that the UK's economy & prospects will never reach those of countries like USA/Canada/Australia & China.

I have never been to Canada, the furthest I've ever strayed away from home is Greece With money being tight, I couldn't afford too many trips to Canada to check the place out too much. But I agree, I think I need to at least venture there once to see what the country is like on the ground.

I think I also need to take my career down a speciality that is sort after too. My friend moved to Canada with a Business Degree in Management & has fitted into a Project Management role in the Health Sector.

I wish I had thought of doing this when I was 18, single & care free. It gets more risky the older & more committed you get.

Thank you for all your comments, I look forward to posting more on this site in future, it seems a great community.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by david_oz
as for climate, i prefer canada, since i get to ski here 6 months of the year. but its really a personal thing. just remember that it might sound awesome to have 4 or 5 months of 25 degree+ weather. but its not so awesome when you're going to work in a suit and its 35 degrees out there. but yeah... its a personal thing. either climate beats the uk - if i'm going for a cold climate i'd rather snow than rain
Wollongong, Port, Coffs, Orange and Armidale are pretty nice in summer, but yeah the rest of Australia can be pretty hot during the summer months.

My only gripe about the winter in Canada is the ice and snow which makes driving/walking very difficult.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
For what it's worth, my opinion is that people get too philosophical over these issues. Emigration need not be forever, it is a great experience to spend at least a part of your life in a different country. Everywhere has it's pros and cons. But don't fall into the trap of letting it become a Canada vs. UK issue. Countries are supposed to be different. Diversity makes the World interesting. Better to try than look back down the road and say "I wish I had gone to...." Some find it better, some do not. It is basically up to you.
This is a very good way to look at it, and some very valid points John009has rasied there.....emmigration to most does means the intention of "forever" but no one is taking away your British citizenship when you leave Blighty's shores. Its free to return there anytime you please.

I feel its best to come to Canada with a complete open mind and expect change, just because its differnt does that make it wrong? there will be things you miss, but you should be more than prepared for that, for some strange reason some people think everything will be the same....and being different as John009 said is what makes different countries so interesting, there will be many new and great experiences to find out and explore, that will make up for what you miss, experiences that will never be discovered if you never live here, and hold that what if thought instead.

However I will say i have spoke to quite a few long term expats and altho they call Canada their permanent home now, some never feel truly part of it, but would not feel at home in the UK either, theyre sort of somewhere in the mid Altantic....in limbo.....I suppose thats what spawns the so many ping pongers, and I can see how that happens.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Apr 27th 2010 at 4:42 am.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:19 am
Just Joined

neo1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I definately agree, moving over would certainly have to be done with a very open mind & I think I am ready for that. I'm sure Canada will have plenty more good things that I like about it than bad.

Growing up watching movies from the US/Canada, I always looked at the streets, houses & cars & wished that I lived there, sounds daft I know.

I took the online test & scored a 72, pass mark being 67. I guess I should carry on to the next stage :-S
Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:27 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Growing up watching movies from the US/Canada, I always looked at the streets, houses & cars & wished that I lived there, sounds daft I know.
Be careful with forming your opinions from movies. A Canadian brought up watching British movies might be disappointed when, on finally travelling to Europe, learning that he was not actually permitted to mow down Germans in a hail of machine-gun fire.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:29 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Be careful with forming your opinions from movies. A Canadian brought up watching British movies might be disappointed when, on finally travelling to Europe, learning that he was not actually permitted to mow down Germans in a hail of machine-gun fire.
Imagine how a Canadian brought up on a diet of 'Warlord' comics would feel?
"Eat hot lead Fritz, AAiiiieeeee, Achtung Spitfeur, Time vor you to die Tommi Atkins" etc etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.