Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada recession looming?

Canada recession looming?

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada recession looming?

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
No, but I can understand why you'd think that living in Alberta.

I can't speak for other parts of Canada but Toronto and Vancouver at least have reasonably big film/tv industries which add to teh economy. Also gaming. Also, ship building contracts from the Feds (thanks Feds)! Also mining. Also ongoing infrastructure improvements - BC Hydro is updating all its substations right now, for example. Also natural gas (maybe google Kitimat). Also international students/tourism. Also a massive port in Vancouver, which is the biggest in Canada and one of the largest in North America:

from the wiki:

"The economy of Vancouver is one of the most energetic in Canada due to Vancouver's situation as the nation's gateway to the Pacific Rim, a major port, and the main western terminus of transcontinental highway and rail routes. Major economic sectors include trade, film, natural resources, technology and tourism."

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I left stuff out, but the economy here is more diversified that some realise.

Again, can't speak to other parts of Canada though.

Oh I forgot electricity. We do generate electricity to sell across the border.
"Brokeback Mountain", "Unforgiven", "Passchendal", "X-Men". All made, at least in part, in ALBERTA!. There are also a lot more. The Port of Vancouver? Gateway for all the Chinese-made crap! An export related port, such as that proposed for the end of the Endbridge pipeline from Alberta, you do not appear to want. Enjoy all that tree-hugging and yoghurt weaving.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:13 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
"Brokeback Mountain", "Unforgiven", "Passchendal", "X-Men". All made, at least in part, in ALBERTA!. There are also a lot more. The Port of Vancouver? Gateway for all the Chinese-made crap! An export related port, such as that proposed for the end of the Endbridge pipeline from Alberta, you do not appear to want. Enjoy all that tree-hugging and yoghurt weaving.
Films are made everywhere. However BC's media sector is bigger than Alberta's - in part due to tax-payer subsidies for that industry. Same for game development; though I think other provinces might do something similar (maybe quebec - not sure, but ubisoft have studios there).

And there's no need to be quite so insulting. You've done it several times in this thread already, but why are you taking it so personally when somebody ...gasp... disagrees with you?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Welcome to a federal system of government. If you moved from GB to NI you would actually need to swap your licence. If you moved to the Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey they all have different rates of income tax and VAT. Scotland also recently got various tax powers, so their taxes will vary from the rest of the UK.
But arent the Isle of Man, Jersey & Guernsey and even Scotland and NI all considered countries in their own rights. Hence the different regulations.
The same VAT rate applies in Cumbria as it does in Cheshire.
No wonder the immigrants get confused when they arrive here
I must admit though Im in favour of the VAT system as opposed to the well this is subject to GST but not PST or subject to both.
Item says $19.99 Ive got a $20 bill in my pocket good enough I can buy it and still get change.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:53 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Other than resources based industries what is Canada any good at?
Other than the financial service based industry what is Britain good at? At least Canada have resources that makes it self-sufficient.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:56 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I must admit though Im in favour of the VAT system as opposed to the well this is subject to GST but not PST or subject to both. Item says $19.99 Ive got a $20 bill in my pocket good enough I can buy it and still get change.
+1
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:35 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Edo
Other than the financial service based industry what is Britain good at? At least Canada have resources that makes it self-sufficient.
What is Britain good at?
Well there's............or there's.........ermm.......I think there's........I'll have to Google this......
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

In Alberta with oil around $80 a barrel it's all go 113,000 jobs vacant in just the oil fields and lots of expansions got the go ahead mostly with Chineese money so if oil stays same price the money Alberta pays into the kitty will keep Canada out of ressesion
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:07 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Doesn't Canada import most of its wood ? This in a country which seems to have an abundance of the stuff.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
What is Britain good at?
Well there's............or there's.........ermm.......I think there's........I'll have to Google this......
pharma, high tech, arms, financials.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pacepeter
In Alberta with oil around $80 a barrel it's all go 113,000 jobs vacant in just the oil fields and lots of expansions got the go ahead mostly with Chineese money so if oil stays same price the money Alberta pays into the kitty will keep Canada out of ressesion
Wow, that's certainly a blinkered view. Would be interested to hear how a boom in Alberta will keep people in jobs in practically every other Province though...
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:41 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Aren't resources ALL THAT CANADA HAS? What do they make in BC that the whole world wants? If Alberta is in trouble, then the rest of Canada will be really in the shite!
We make ice cream. I don't think that's a "resource"; perhaps it is to some (judging from their size!!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Doesn't Canada import most of its wood ? This in a country which seems to have an abundance of the stuff.
No. Exports of forestry products are around $1.8 billion a month. Imports just over $200m a month.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Have a look at the current account balance and see how, even with it's natural resources, self sufficient Canada is...........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ccount_balance

Your criticism of the UK doesn't change the reality regarding Canada.

Clearly the UK has issues with the dependence on the financial services sector, however there are other sectors where UK has very successful companies. BAE Systems and Rolls Royce are a couple that spring to mind. Pharmarcuticals is another sector.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
We make ice cream. I don't think that's a "resource"; perhaps it is to some (judging from their size!!
I believe the worlds largest ice cream manufacturer is the British/Dutch company Unilever (Ben & Jerrys etc). They are also the biggest tea manufacturer (PG Tips, Litons etc).
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jericho
Wow, that's certainly a blinkered view. Would be interested to hear how a boom in Alberta will keep people in jobs in practically every other Province though...
It depends whether people would rather be unemployed and remain where they are or move to Alberta to take a job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.