Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada recession looming?

Canada recession looming?

Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canada recession looming?

Originally Posted by el_richo
Funnily enough, unemployment rate in Yorkshire (4.8%) is much lower than BC (7.4%), Quebec (7.8%), Ontario (7.8%), Manitoba (5.1%), nova scotia (9.1%), new Brunswick (9.4%).

So yes you're right

And they do better fish and chips in Yorkshire
And these people have saved the original Harry Ramsden's from demise:

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 1st 2012 at 9:43 pm. Reason: Link removed - as per post below it seems to have a virus attached to it?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:24 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johnh009
And these people have saved the original Harry Ramsden's from demise:

(SNIP)
I got a Trojan hit when I tried to access this site

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jul 1st 2012 at 10:03 pm. Reason: Link removed from quote
Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

I don't think you can compare a county to an entire province.

Last edited by teacher1000; Jul 1st 2012 at 12:58 pm. Reason: wrong quote
Old Jul 1st 2012, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teacher1000
I don't think you can compare a county to an entire province.
True the UK has more counties but my point is if I pass my driving test lets say in Lancashire and move to Yorkshire then there is no requirement for me to do anything except notify the DVLA of my change of address but if I passed it in BC and moved to Ontario then I would need to swap over licences but Im still in the same country.
Are there different sales taxes in Yorkshire to Lancashire if you buy stuff?
Are there different sales taxes in Nova Scotia to Alberta?
Oh Im sorry you took that course in Quebec we dont recognize that here.
Arent we all part of one country?
Sorry we cant register that vehicle in this province as you bought it in Alberta and you need to pay the Manitoba sales tax before you can register it.
But Alberta has no provincial sales tax just the GST which you can clearly see I paid.
Sorry you need to pay the Manitoba sales tax unless you have had the vehicle registered for 30 days in Alberta.
But Alberta wont let me register it because I dont live there.
We know now give us the Manitoba Sales tax.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:21 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
From my experience i think Alberta is all but bullet proof for the next few years...compared to other provinces
Not with China and India slowing down it won't.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:23 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
More of a regional phenoma I think, personally I think there will be some sort of bubble bursting, because (a) tougher immigration rules and (b) the Chinese economy is in trouble now and that will slow down investment in property in Vancouver and Toronto. I don't think that will happen in Alberta though. Too much demand, plus property here isn't really 'investable' in, the condo market is really small.
I'm just curious how you think the Chinese economy can be in trouble but it not effect Alberta? All you guys have is resources, right? Oh denial.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by didikai
I got a Trojan hit when I tried to access this site
Bloody hell, so did I. Good spot, I thought it was BE. No one else should try and open it.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I'm just curious how you think the Chinese economy can be in trouble but it not effect Alberta? All you guys have is resources, right? Oh denial.
Aren't resources ALL THAT CANADA HAS? What do they make in BC that the whole world wants? If Alberta is in trouble, then the rest of Canada will be really in the shite!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Aren't resources ALL THAT CANADA HAS? What do they make in BC that the whole world wants? If Alberta is in trouble, then the rest of Canada will be really in the shite!
No, but I can understand why you'd think that living in Alberta.

I can't speak for other parts of Canada but Toronto and Vancouver at least have reasonably big film/tv industries which add to teh economy. Also gaming. Also, ship building contracts from the Feds (thanks Feds)! Also mining. Also ongoing infrastructure improvements - BC Hydro is updating all its substations right now, for example. Also natural gas (maybe google Kitimat). Also international students/tourism. Also a massive port in Vancouver, which is the biggest in Canada and one of the largest in North America:

from the wiki:

"The economy of Vancouver is one of the most energetic in Canada due to Vancouver's situation as the nation's gateway to the Pacific Rim, a major port, and the main western terminus of transcontinental highway and rail routes. Major economic sectors include trade, film, natural resources, technology and tourism."

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I left stuff out, but the economy here is more diversified that some realise.

Again, can't speak to other parts of Canada though.

Oh I forgot electricity. We do generate electricity to sell across the border.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jul 1st 2012 at 7:16 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

No, but I can understand why you'd think that living in Alberta.

I can't speak for other parts of Canada but Toronto and Vancouver at least have reasonably big film/tv industries which add to teh economy. Also gaming. Also, ship building contracts from the Feds (thanks Feds)! Also mining. Also ongoing infrastructure improvements - BC Hydro is updating all its substations right now, for example. Also natural gas (maybe google Kitimat). Also international students/tourism. Also a massive port in Vancouver, which is the biggest in Canada and one of the largest in North America:

from the wiki:

"The economy of Vancouver is one of the most energetic in Canada due to Vancouver's situation as the nation's gateway to the Pacific Rim, a major port, and the main western terminus of transcontinental highway and rail routes. Major economic sectors include trade, film, natural resources, technology and tourism."

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I left stuff out, but the economy here is more diversified that some realise.

Again, can't speak to other parts of Canada though.

Oh I forgot electricity. We do generate electricity to sell across the border.
Take out the resources based items and it's a bit thin isn't it?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Bloody hell, so did I. Good spot, I thought it was BE. No one else should try and open it.
Ditto, so I've removed the link.

Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:46 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ditto, so I've removed the link.

The link is still on my post #62
Old Jul 1st 2012, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
BC Bud springs to mind But yeah I guess they grow it so it is a resource as such.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
True the UK has more counties but my point is if I pass my driving test lets say in Lancashire and move to Yorkshire then there is no requirement for me to do anything except notify the DVLA of my change of address but if I passed it in BC and moved to Ontario then I would need to swap over licences but Im still in the same country.
Welcome to a federal system of government. If you moved from GB to NI you would actually need to swap your licence. If you moved to the Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey they all have different rates of income tax and VAT. Scotland also recently got various tax powers, so their taxes will vary from the rest of the UK.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:12 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say that, I was talking about the property market. Chinese investment in Alberta real estate is not a significant factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.