Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada recession looming?

Canada recession looming?

Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canada recession looming?

Originally Posted by didikai
Your 'They do better fish and chips is Yorkshire' is about as accurate as your percentages.

The unemployment rate is so low because it does not include everyone on Welfare/Social, take a look at that percentage. I am currently in Yorkshire and it has a very high percentage of families on assistance. Also they do a lot of top up here, which keeps the figures low. A person can work 20 hours a week before it touches their benefits/credits. Most of the moms I know are working but they do 20 hours in a grocery shop and not a minute more. With 3 kids under 16 a person gets about 200 pounds a week + 20 hours wages (at what ever wage you can get)

On another note: WE have AWESOME fish and chips in our village!!

:-)
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm surprised. I though you said it is awes-mazing
It is and i love it! But i am a kept woman, my hubby does pretty well for us. But i can see others struggling. Schools dinners are a tenner a week per kid, and some families really have a hard time with that. I love the UK and all of its craziness...but I am lucky and I get that. Others may not have my circumstances. :-)
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:54 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
Your 'They do better fish and chips is Yorkshire' is about as accurate as your percentages.

I think you'll find the figures are correct as of may 2012.

Your turn
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Not sure how successful that strategy has been for the UK to get its housing market back to health.

I've lived in South Cambridgeshire for the past 10 years until very recently. Where the general cost of living has gone up tremendously since 2008 (50 pound weekly Tesco shop ballooned to 80/90 pounds, to give just one example), rents in our area have actually *gone down*. So have house prices, but not as much as rents.

As per usual for a house price boom, if you bought a UK house at the top of the market (2006/7/8), there is no way in hell that the rent will even remotely cover the mortgage.
Oh it won't work in the long term. No matter what you do, you can't take $20 out of one pocket and put it in the other and say you've got $40. Debt has to be paid or defaulted eventually... whenever that may be.

Still, my guess for house prices here would be a limited nominal drop and then more or less static for years while inflation catches up.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jun 30th 2012 at 4:57 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:56 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reeni
The unemployment rate is so low because it does not include everyone on Welfare/Social, take a look at that percentage. I am currently in Yorkshire and it has a very high percentage of families on assistance. Also they do a lot of top up here, which keeps the figures low. A person can work 20 hours a week before it touches their benefits/credits. Most of the moms I know are working but they do 20 hours in a grocery shop and not a minute more. With 3 kids under 16 a person gets about 200 pounds a week + 20 hours wages (at what ever wage you can get)

On another note: WE have AWESOME fish and chips in our village!!

:-)
It includes everybody not working and claiming some form of benefit.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian unemployment only contains those on EI doesn't it? So once that runs out, you are no longer counted or something like that - not sure.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Could ya post the link ... I tried to find it and I got lost ....darn interwebs! I went to statistics.co.uk ...got lost there too
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:04 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Canadian unemployment only contains those on EI doesn't it? So once that runs out, you are no longer counted or something like that - not sure.
I thought unemployment in Canada was calculated by asking A sample of Canadians what they did over a certain period. If they werent actively looking for work, they weren't classed as unemployed.

Something like that.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:08 pm

I thought unemployment in Canada was calculated by asking A sample of Canadians what they did over a certain period. If they werent actively looking for work, they weren't classed as unemployed.

Something like that.
Ah, like in the US.

Anyway - a good economic indicators is food bank usage which has gone up every year I've lived here.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:10 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Ah, like in the US.
Yep so the canadian figures should look worse than they do I imagine.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:12 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

I think you'll find the figures are correct as of may 2012.

Your turn
I think you'll find that whatever 'Official' figures are released have been, or can be tweaked to suit.

Back to you
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:41 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience i think Alberta is all but bullet proof for the next few years...compared to other provinces
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hopefully the housing market will crash
Yes, let's hope that a lot of people are put in financial peril! What a twerp!
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:19 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Yes, let's hope that a lot of people are put in financial peril! What a twerp!
Why thank you I am referring to the overinflated Van market, so that people on a normal inco£e. Could afford to buy! I am fine with it dropping, even as a. Home owner here - it is way over priced.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Why thank you I am referring to the overinflated Van market, so that people on a normal inco£e. Could afford to buy! I am fine with it dropping, even as a. Home owner here - it is way over priced.
Yes. How can anyone; even on decent income afford it here? Even those with a family income of $200k will either only be able to buy a shit hole or be paying all their income to banks as interest for the rest of their lives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.