Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada recession looming?

Canada recession looming?

Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada recession looming?

Originally Posted by didikai
I think we'll all be moving to Yorkshire. I hear it's booming there.
I certainly wont be, Id sooner stick hot knitting needles in my eyes than move tóther side of Pennines
Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

The day RIM closes down, and it could happen very soon, we'll see some negative effects for sure
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=

I also think the UK will be on an opposite trajectory.

[/QUOTE]

The UK double dipped back into recession last month. No sign of recovery there. The benefit system is about to get absolutely hammered. As usual, it's the vulnerable to get targeted and the real culprits are eating strawberries and cream at Wimbledon.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
The UK double dipped back into recession last month. No sign of recovery there. The benefit system is about to get absolutely hammered. As usual, it's the vulnerable to get targeted and the real culprits are eating strawberries and cream at Wimbledon.
Wimbledon attracts the great unwashed nowadays old chap as they have now had to enforce a dress code. The elite will be seen on the banks of the River Thames at Henley on Thames for the Royal Regatta.
Strawberries and cream pfffft how about caviar and foie gras washed down with Bollinger or an 1893 Veuve Clicquot.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
I think we'll all be moving to Yorkshire. I hear it's booming there.
Funnily enough, unemployment rate in Yorkshire (4.8%) is much lower than BC (7.4%), Quebec (7.8%), Ontario (7.8%), Manitoba (5.1%), nova scotia (9.1%), new Brunswick (9.4%).

So yes you're right

And they do better fish and chips in Yorkshire

Last edited by el_richo; Jun 30th 2012 at 3:40 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Funnily enough, unemployment rate in Yorkshire (4.8%) is much lower than BC 6.2%) Go figure.

So yes you're right
I'd like to live in Yorkshire again. The dales are lovely and you get to go to Bettys for tea whenever you feel like it.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
I'm talking mid 2013 beyond. There'll be some interesting times ahead for those choosing to move to Canada cos its better
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:42 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'd like to live in Yorkshire again. The dales are lovely and you get to go to Bettys for tea whenever you feel like it.
My mum brought me over a Betty's fat rascal the other day. Brilliant
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

What percentage of Canadians work in the resource industry do you think?
Other than resources based industries what is Canada any good at?
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:46 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by reeni
lolololololol
I'm surprised. I though you said it is awes-mazing
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to think this would happen. It still might, but do not underestimate how far the government will go to prevent this happening, a drop yes, serious crash - unlikely imo.

More likely is that interest rates will be lowered and/or money will be printed thus stealing from anyone with savings or on a fixed income. I'd guess that right now, savings in cash are probably losing about 3 or 4% a year in value in real terms. Not a problem if what you want to buy is losing value quicker than that, but over the long term it's a risky strategy as the state will choose inflation over deflation every single time the economy goes down the toilet.

This shit still pisses me off
Interesting thoughts, Alan.

According to The Economist, Canadian house prices are 75% overvalued against rents, which is the highest in the OECD. That figure is for the whole of Canada, it's likely to be worse for places like Toronto and Vancouver.

My own personal experience backs this up. In my neck of the woods (outer Toronto suburbs) a family home can be rented for 50% of the mortgage payments on an equivalent home in the same area. This is at current low interest rates - imagine how much out of whack it would be if interest rates went up...

The price/rent ratio is usually seen as an excellent indicator of property 'fair value'. It will have to come down from its amazing 75% overvaluation at some point. So basically you're saying that the government will print money to stoke inflation on purpose, therefore pushing up the cost of living tremendously? That could work, as rents would be pushed up as well, which would bring the price/rent ratio back to normal.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
So basically you're saying that the government will print money to stoke inflation on purpose, therefore pushing up the cost of living tremendously? That could work, as rents would be pushed up as well, which would bring the price/rent ratio back to normal.
Yes - that's basically what I'm saying. It's what they did / have been doing with ZIRP and QE.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - that's basically what I'm saying. It's what they did / have been doing with ZIRP and QE.
Not sure how successful that strategy has been for the UK to get its housing market back to health.

I've lived in South Cambridgeshire for the past 10 years until very recently. Where the general cost of living has gone up tremendously since 2008 (50 pound weekly Tesco shop ballooned to 80/90 pounds, to give just one example), rents in our area have actually *gone down*. So have house prices, but not as much as rents.

As per usual for a house price boom, if you bought a UK house at the top of the market (2006/7/8), there is no way in hell that the rent will even remotely cover the mortgage.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:10 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hopefully the housing market will crash
No no!

When that happens everything goes with it.

Ive just left a housing crisis in Ireland.

Keep renting Bells!

Last edited by Londonuck; Jun 30th 2012 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:22 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by el_richo
Funnily enough, unemployment rate in Yorkshire (4.8%) is much lower than BC (7.4%), Quebec (7.8%), Ontario (7.8%), Manitoba (5.1%), nova scotia (9.1%), new Brunswick (9.4%).

So yes you're right

And they do better fish and chips in Yorkshire
Your 'They do better fish and chips is Yorkshire' is about as accurate as your percentages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.