Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada recession looming?

Canada recession looming?

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Canada recession looming?

Canada summing up relies on resorses so if there is no no demand resession big time, BC the port wood, hydro, drugs the legal one, Aberta oil and gas few films, beef, some wheat. SK fertaliser, wheat, oil and gas, North terr lots of oil and gas still in the ground, dimonds and gold, east films, some manufaturing there is lots more but not that much up on that side
so as long as the world needs resorses canada should be ok

long term with the world over population will come water shortages and food shortages so in 10 to 15 yrs just staying alive will be the main concern for most people of the world

think we should have a seperate thread on the pipe line its seems a subject on its own lot to chat about?

also the world ressesion and how bad is it as uk econnomy has been talked about a lot on this one,
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:54 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If you're in a government job that you can't get sacked from with a decent pension then yes, Canada is the best place to be. If, for whatever reason, you end up on welfare, then I'd say Canada is a pretty shit place to be. Not as shit as the US, but I'd still rather be in Europe in that situation.
Rather be in Europe on welfare?
Can I suggest you check out the cost of living in England on welfare.

Electric Bills
Gas Bills
TV license (If you have no TV but have a Laptop it counts as a TV
Buddy of mine in Market Harborough has to pay one company for his water in, and another company for his waste water out.
Phone Bills
Have to freeze in winter as you can't afford the heating
etc etc
I'd stick with Canada thank you
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:06 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai

Electric Bills
Gas Bills
Buddy of mine in Market Harborough has to pay one company for his water in, and another company for his waste water out.
Phone Bills
etc etc
Bar the TV licence, which is a minor cost in the scheme of things, how's it any different or cheaper in Canada?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:19 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by R I C H
Bar the TV licence, which is a minor cost in the scheme of things, how's it any different or cheaper in Canada?
TV license ain't a minor cost if you are on welfare. And they prosecute if you ain't got one. The BBC Gestapo visit you after a few threatening phone calls. Yes they do threaten you over the phone. I was present when my mate got a call as he didn't have one and some shithouse of a woman said to him 'Now we don't want this to get nasty!'
Just going to pop of and kiss my Canadian flag.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Just read this today...may want to rethink your ideas of it being better over here in britain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-private-firms
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

douglasgrant is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're in a government job that you can't get sacked from with a decent pension then yes, Canada is the best place to be. If, for whatever reason, you end up on welfare, then I'd say Canada is a pretty shit place to be. Not as shit as the US, but I'd still rather be in Europe in that situation.
Rubbish. You get sacked in government all the time. There is always constantly re-structuring going on in the public sector and the odds of you working right up until retirement age are slim.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:58 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teacher1000
Just read this today...may want to rethink your ideas of it being better over here in britain.

you may also want to rethink your ideas of it being better in Canada:

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode...oor-in-canada/

It's no picnic being a caregiver, disabled or on welfare here either.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Electric Bills
Gas Bills
Phone Bills
etc etc
I think you have little understanding of what being on welfare here actually entails if you think you'd be better off here than anywhere in Europe..

Originally Posted by douglasgrant
Rubbish. You get sacked in government all the time. There is always constantly re-structuring going on in the public sector and the odds of you working right up until retirement age are slim.
The fact is, public sector jobs in Canada are generally better paid and more secure that those in the private sector. And besides, the response was to a teacher - they don't ever get sacked as a rule.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jul 3rd 2012 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

The fact is, public sector jobs in Canada are generally better paid and more secure that those in the private sector.
Its secure until the hatchet get pulled. Is it better paid, depends who you are and what you do. (I wouldn't want to be a public sector employee in Dept. of Environment right now -- thats for sure.)
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

If you agree with this article and find the idea of food banks etc horrendous then you are likely to find that Canada is somewhat distressing for you. Food banks are a way of life for many in employment never mind those on welfare here.

I see now the police are now predicting more riots - how suprising. The riots last year were hardly the february revolution were they - how many reports were there of supermarkets broken into for bread/potatos etc? Shops that sell the latest mobile phones and 150GBP trainers yes.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by douglasgrant
Its secure until the hatchet get pulled. Is it better paid, depends who you are and what you do. (I wouldn't want to be a public sector employee in Dept. of Environment right now -- thats for sure.)
Are you really saying you think the private sector offers more job security than the public sector? Really?

How many people in the public sector are on min wage with no benefits, and also face the possibility of being laid off at a moments notice?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Are you really saying you think the private sector offers more job security than the public sector? Really?

How many people in the public sector are on min wage with no benefits, and also face the possibility of being laid off at a moments notice?
No. What I am really saying is, its a super secure place for lazy buggers who have no desire to work hard and no desire to upgrade their knowledge or keep up to date in their chosen field because they would never make it in the private sector.

For people that do work hard, its not that secure a place, because they face the same management and re-structuring problems in the public sector as they do in the private sector.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

This is about the recession, and the short and longterm affects on Canada, not the private/public sector arguements. If you believe one is better/harder working/etc than you've fallen into the trap the government has worked very hard at setting out. It's called divide and conquer. If they make you think one works harder/longer than the other, one gets a better pension etc, then you'll be against those people, and favor the governments cut backs, pension abolition plans etc. In the end, each government in power takes their turn cutting more and more until we all end up doing slave labour.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

This is about the recession, and the short and longterm affects on Canada, not the private/public sector arguements. If you believe one is better/harder working/etc than you've fallen into the trap the government has worked very hard at setting out. It's called divide and conquer. If they make you think one works harder/longer than the other, one gets a better pension etc, then you'll be against those people, and favor the governments cut backs, pension abolition plans etc. In the end, each government in power takes their turn cutting more and more until we all end up doing slave labour.
nah, there's a lot of lazy buggers hanging onto their gov jobs with all claws and feet. many hard working ones as well. but lots of lazy buggers. i know. i used to work in public sector.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

TV license ain't a minor cost if you are on welfare. And they prosecute if you ain't got one. The BBC Gestapo visit you after a few threatening phone calls. Yes they do threaten you over the phone. I was present when my mate got a call as he didn't have one and some shithouse of a woman said to him 'Now we don't want this to get nasty!'
Just going to pop of and kiss my Canadian flag.
I do love this post, really I do.

In fact that in red is not true, it is just another example of one of The UK's self perpetuating Urban legend doing the rounds that serves to keep the Great Unwashed in check.

Just like the listening-devices-in-vans cruising around on the country's Council Estates with 'signal finding' technology...good grief.

Anyone able to provide even an anecdotal account of anyone, anywhere in The UK, that has been 'legally' i) visited by a BBC agent ii) prosecuted by the BBC and iii) enforced upon my Mummy B?

Did not think so.

Just cannot stop laughing over this post - thank you

FROTSUK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.