Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada - the reality

Canada - the reality

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada - the reality

The average family income for HRM is around the $60k. Most seem to do quite well on this.

Originally Posted by Leg
Yeah fair point.

I guess in the end, in for a penny, in for a pound, lifes an adverture eh.

Not enjoying the UK anymore so what the hell. Off to NS again in the spring, no doubt ill buy some new rose tinted glasses while im there.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:26 pm
Leg
Forum Regular

Leg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the roughLeg is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SAW 04
The average family income for HRM is around the $60k. Most seem to do quite well on this.
Im assuming thats with a mortgage, car payments etc too. It does match what Ive found on the net.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Not if they leak, You never seen The Heroes of Telemark
That depends on what side of the dam you stand!

I noticed a lot of dams in BC are getting earthquake proof if there is such a thing!

I took some photos of the monstrous Fossil fuel power stations we have in the UK and you can imagine the reaction! :scared:
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:48 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

After 18 months here, I figure that costs all in all, are pretty similar to the Uk. So I still have less buying power than I did in the UK... (Employer related winge)

As for Canucks being bland, I can't agree with that amongst my social circle. But then my friends pretty much aren't married, don't have kids and like beer and other things to entertain themselves. I've attended 2 music festivals over the summer that would never in a million years have been allowed to go ahead in the UK and last Friday I played a street game in the financial district that I could never in my wildest dreams imagine having taken place in the City of London, which would probably have been shut down by the Met Police before you could utter the words cor blimey...

People are people *shrug* I guess it depends on who you hang out with. But then if colour is the chav down three pints in the twenty minutes before closing time, then no, you're not going to find that in Canada. All of my friends bar one drink responsibily, and its pretty unusual for me to find one who's roaring drunk at the end of the evening.

I wouldn't say Canada is a bed of roses. I recently met someone who is a diagnosed psychopath - and 6th generation Canadian. But, when I think of moving back to the UK it just makes me shudder. I can't think of anything worse...
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
That would be the other thread..this one was specifically asking about the negatives..

Imagin what you could post if someone asked that question about the UK!

Lucky you! Hydro and any CAW unioned plant are probably the best employers you could find, but I cant help but think it will all come crashing down at some future point if the unions are broken, its just not cost effective way to run a business.
It depends what you mean by cost effective. Hydro are having trouble with recruitment of skilled people - the jobs are there for everyone if you are prepared to put the effort in. There were 3 people at the interview all in senior positions, the HR Manager was Irish, one of the area managers was South African and the other Canadian. Thats what I call multi-cultural!

Managers positions are not unionised and contrary to popular belief the unions in the privatised power industry in the UK are far stronger than Canada (to my surprise).
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leg
Im assuming thats with a mortgage, car payments etc too. It does match what Ive found on the net.

Cheers.
Some will, some wont. Some of the people I work with have all sorts of toys, and not much income. They inherited property mostly at some stage, and share resources with family here.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnyaT
I am a Canadian and love my country, but it cannot claim to having particularly good benefits. Vacation, as in the US, starts at a pathetic 10 days per year normally. To find a job that offers more than that is pure luck, and to receive the 5 weeks you mentioned is damn near an impossibility. Sick time you tend to earn on a monthly basis, i.e., 1 day per month. If you are off sick longer than the amount you have saved, then you don't get paid for it. Other benefits don't spring to mind - some employers have pension plans, though the number is dropping, some might offer discounted insurance rates, things like that. However, these things are generally only for full-time employees, and there is an increasing trend of hiring people on contract because it is cheaper and they don't have to pay benefits.

I would not say any of my offices have been in dream locations. They have mainly been in aging office blocks in a downtown core.
One of the questions I was asked at a recent interview was why Canada, my reply was Canadians are proud of their country something that seems to be lost in the UK nowadays.

One of the things that strikes me about North America and Canada is the huge differences between the have's and have not's. The government related jobs are far better paid in Canada than the private sector - a bit like the UK.
There are jobs there and if you have the skills and experience then go for them. If there was a suitable Canadian to fit the job I am sure they would have been given preference?
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

andrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Canada spent a couple of billion on some used UK subs. One had a big dent in it, and another caught fire on the way over. We are still recovering from the last spending corruption scandal that brought the liberal government to an end. Please, if you are concerned about misplaced government spending, Canada wont be for you!
...or out in BC how we can forget about the 'fast ferries' fiasco under the old NDP gov. swanky new ferries were ordered and were budgeted 'down to the last piece of toilet paper' at $200 mil. of course they ended costing around $500 mil. they then went into service and it was found that the wash from the ferries caused major damage to the shoreline on the routes they were on....they ran about three times and ended up being sold to some company in the states for about $20 mil.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:48 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
The toothless cowboy accountant has me (the corporate me) rent a room from me (the personal me) rather than write off a percentage of the bills because one's primary residence is exempt from capital gains tax while business premises are not. There is some risk that the taxman may want to levy CGT on the business portion of a building. All the ins and outs, I dunno, but there is an issue to be considered.
Oh, I see.

My bean counter hasn't raised that one. Perhaps because there is no "corporate me".
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Oh, I see.

My bean counter hasn't raised that one. Perhaps because there is no "corporate me".
Maybe, I don't pretend to understand it all. So long as total tax remains <20% of income I'm grudgingly satisfied with the man's work.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:04 pm

Maybe, I don't pretend to understand it all. So long as total tax remains <20% of income I'm grudgingly satisfied with the man's work.
If mine could get it below 30%, I'd be happy. Then again, he only charges $70 to do it.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If mine could get it below 30%, I'd be happy. Then again, he only charges $70 to do it.
Get a mistress. If she has no income you can use her allowances and that'll bring you below 30%. There are some difficulties with this approach, such as cost and risk to life and limb, but it does help with the taxes.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

tonywood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leg
Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Just wondered what everyone would say are the downsides to moving to Canada, more specifically Nova Scotia.

We have been out on trips a few times, last one was a 4 week tour of NS, NB, Quebec and Ontario but a holiday, even a long one, is only a snapshot.

We are 14 months into a supposed 36 month process for PR (FedSkilledWorker).

I ask as I am aware that its easy to convince yourself its the most wonderful place in the world after a few trips and we need to be aware of the challenges and potential dissapointments.

Im aware of the missing family stuff obviously. Wife says a major downer is that you 'Cant get a cup of tea anywhere without people thinking you're mad!' (One guy in a drive thru last year said 'Umm, Ill have to put the kettle on you know!' lol).

I know some things will apply to one person and not to others but wondered what people had to say please?

Cheers

Leg

We have now been in Canada some 19 months now and currently reside in Ontario. Our experience is more positive and negative.

Generally we find that overall the cost of living is similar to the UK. Gas may be cheaper, but you need to travel more, food is more expensive and we find the range is limited.

I find the utilities bills slightly cheaper than we paid in the Uk, but car insurance is 5 times more.

I am having a hard time finding suitable employment although my wife found a job straight away.

Both my children 21, 14 wouldn't go back they have a more relaxed lifestyle and there is less concern for crime. My neighbours have been wonderful and really helped us settle.

I think every person has their own views and own experiences when they emigrate, and this is something you would need to experience yourself to see if it is for you.

Would we go through it again?, yes, but I would have researched job opportunities in more depth before selecting the area to live.

Tony
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:43 pm

Get a mistress. If she has no income you can use her allowances and that'll bring you below 30%. There are some difficulties with this approach, such as cost and risk to life and limb, but it does help with the taxes.
Christiane would kill me.

Are you actually doing that? I thought your OH was here informally and thus technically without SIN. How can someone that doesn't "exist" have tax allowances?

I'm glad the subject of tax came up, though. It reminded me to stuff the receipt for my OH's Lasik into my deductibles file.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Christiane would kill me.

Are you actually doing that? I thought your OH was here informally and thus technically without SIN. How can someone that doesn't "exist" have tax allowances?

I'm glad the subject of tax came up, though. It reminded me to stuff the receipt for my OH's Lasik into my deductibles file.
I was thinking of the Newfie (and the one before that). For about fifteen years I used the allowances of the, still, wife and whoever I lived with. Things are more difficult now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.