Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Radio Stations

Canada Radio Stations

Old Mar 24th 2004, 2:52 am
mickj

Default Canada Radio Stations

We all miss our favourite radio stations from back home, but thanks to the web we get to take it with us wherever we go. Now that we are in canada, we have got use to new stations that we find relaxing during the day at work, at night whilst lying in bed.

My favourites when i was in blighty, where Talk sport ( The James Whale show ), LBC, radio 2, magic 105.4, Heart 106.2, and a bit of virgin. Am only in my early 30s, but can't stand the dance stations, all the ones that play pop crap. In Ontario where i am, i have grown to like country 95.3, even though i never used to like country, EZ rock ( Delilah at night ), and Talk 680.

The link below is to all the radio stations in blighty, and you can listen online via the links.

http://www.mikesradioworld.com/eu_uk.html

The question is, what stations do you listen to in your province, and do you recommend them? I just thought this might be helpful to old and newcomers to the country. :lecture:

cheers

Last edited by mickj; Mar 24th 2004 at 3:23 am.

Old Mar 24th 2004, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

I listen to 102.1 The Edge

99.9 Mix

103.1 (Although can usually only listen when I'm going out at night to get in the mood)

Also listen to 680AM for traffic updates when needed. Have to say they were really crap during the blackout, didn't provide any useful info!)

These stations are all in Toronto.

I do miss my Radio 1 though!!

Int
Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Radio Stations

Originally posted by mickj

The question is, what stations do you listen to in your province, and do you recommend them?

Mick,

As I'm still living in the UK I listen to TalkSport radio in the mornings but every lunchtime when I come home for an hour I listen online to EZ Rock, London, Ontario. It seems decent listening to me and I like the feeling of being a tiny bit in touch with Canada. Once we get to live in Canada I expect I'll be listening to the UK stations online instead!
Old Mar 24th 2004, 1:12 pm
mickj

Originally posted by stepnek
Mick,

As I'm still living in the UK I listen to TalkSport radio in the mornings but every lunchtime when I come home for an hour I listen online to EZ Rock, London, Ontario. It seems decent listening to me and I like the feeling of being a tiny bit in touch with Canada. Once we get to live in Canada I expect I'll be listening to the UK stations online instead!

Hello Step,

Yes...i love talkport, even from the days of talk radio. I must admit the format keeps on changing, i still enjoy Ian collins, mike dickin, and james whale of course

You have a good taste there with EZ rock, my now wife was the one that introduced me to it when i was still back in blighty, and have been hooked ever since. They are not actually based in London, its a syndicated show, and you can pick it up all over the country. I listen to the one In TO, i just like to lie down at night, and listen to the Delilah show, you have to try that out.

When do you come over then, and what area are you looking at? I must admit london ontario is not like the UK one, but its not a bad city, so many new houses, at reasonable prices, but i couldn't live there since its far away fom my job. I did my master's there at University Of Western Ontario, one of the best schools in canada.

cheers

Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future
Default BBC

Originally posted by Interested
I listen to 102.1 The Edge

99.9 Mix

103.1 (Although can usually only listen when I'm going out at night to get in the mood)

Also listen to 680AM for traffic updates when needed. Have to say they were really crap during the blackout, didn't provide any useful info!)

These stations are all in Toronto.

I do miss my Radio 1 though!!

Int
Try this www.bbc.co.uk/radio1 there is a downloadable file to get you up and running with radio 1, although i must add that sadly mark and lard are no more boohoo, but you can also listen to previously recorded radio broadcasts, johnathon ross on a sunday morning is a blast, hope it helps, must also add that a basic installation of real player is required, this is no big deal and free.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 4:01 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC

Hello chaps

I'm moving to Ottawa in June and would like to know if you can get the World Service over the radio.

Right now I'm in Hong Kong and the World Service is rebroadcast though a local FM station, is there any stations that do this in Canada?

I know I can listen to it online but there's nothing like listening to the radio in the garden is there.

Before anyone suggests it, I do have a wireless connection but the speakers on my laptop aren't up to much.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Originally posted by George-Ang
Try this www.bbc.co.uk/radio1 there is a downloadable file to get you up and running with radio 1, although i must add that sadly mark and lard are no more boohoo, but you can also listen to previously recorded radio broadcasts, johnathon ross on a sunday morning is a blast, hope it helps, must also add that a basic installation of real player is required, this is no big deal and free.
In addition to Mickj's link, I'd like to give a plug to www.radiofeeds.co.uk which is a fantastic, constantly updated site. Great for those who are a little bit homesick!
That same site posted the news that in the autumn the BBC are going have webstreams for all 40 of their local stations.

I have fond memories of drifting off to sleep with Radio Solent burbling in the background. Can't wait!!!
Old Apr 25th 2004, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to listen to LBC, Talksport and Radio 5 the most when I was in London, UK

Right now in Toronto, I listen to either 680 AM for news or increasingly CFRB 1010 Talk.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

lee2 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Sean Boxer
Hello chaps

I'm moving to Ottawa in June and would like to know if you can get the World Service over the radio.

Right now I'm in Hong Kong and the World Service is rebroadcast though a local FM station, is there any stations that do this in Canada?

I know I can listen to it online but there's nothing like listening to the radio in the garden is there.

Before anyone suggests it, I do have a wireless connection but the speakers on my laptop aren't up to much.
I'm sorry to inform you that the World Service is not available on the radio in Canada, unless you can find a local college station that re-broadcasts the Beeb overnight. But it is far more common for the BBC World Service to be re-broadcast in the U.S than in Canada.

CBC Radio One broadcasts a variety of international broadcasters between 1am and 6am, including Radio Netherlands, SABC Africa and Radio Australia. It rebroadcasts the BBC World Service show 'Outlook' at about 3:30am.

The World Service is not even available on short wave anymore, as the BBC recently stopped its short wave transmissions to North America.

Looks like you're going to have to get your speakers upgraded and long extension chords for them so you can listen in the garden!
Old May 3rd 2004, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Sadly, since the days of Radio Caroline have gone I don`t listen to the radio much now.
Old May 4th 2004, 1:42 am
mickj

Know what you mean about caroline, i miss it too, but there are quite a few good ones out there still, and usually late at night, i get a few on the bedside radio on various frquencies from round the world.

Here is something for you:

http://www.mikesradioworld.com/namerica.html
Attached Thumbnails Canada Radio Stations-outdoors_00007.gif  

Old May 4th 2004, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

We all miss our favourite radio stations from back home, but thanks to the web we get to take it with us wherever we go. Now that we are in canada, we have got use to new stations that we find relaxing during the day at work, at night whilst lying in bed.

My favourites when i was in blighty, where Talk sport ( The James Whale show ), LBC, radio 2, magic 105.4, Heart 106.2, and a bit of virgin. Am only in my early 30s, but can't stand the dance stations, all the ones that play pop crap. In Ontario where i am, i have grown to like country 95.3, even though i never used to like country, EZ rock ( Delilah at night ), and Talk 680.

The link below is to all the radio stations in blighty, and you can listen online via the links.

http://www.mikesradioworld.com/eu_uk.html

The question is, what stations do you listen to in your province, and do you recommend them? I just thought this might be helpful to old and newcomers to the country. :lecture:

cheers
In Vancouver I enjoyed QM FM 103.5 Not sure if you can get it in
Toronto. Canadian answer to Magic Fm I suppose.
Old May 4th 2004, 1:54 pm
mickj

Thanks for that geeza, i'll try and see if i can get hold of that station. Back in blighty, i just use to lay in bed at night after a long day in the city, and just take in the tunes that Magic plays,i love that station.

Originally posted by Gezza
In Vancouver I enjoyed QM FM 103.5 Not sure if you can get it in
Toronto. Canadian answer to Magic Fm I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails Canada Radio Stations-scenery_00007.gif  

Old May 4th 2004, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Back in blighty, i just use to lay in bed at night after a long day in the city, and just take in the tunes that Magic plays,i love that station.
That's what my car radio is always tuned to!
Old May 4th 2004, 2:45 pm
mickj

You're a person of good taste, couldn't stand all that noise of radio 1, xfm et al. The other alternative is jazzfm, am sounding like an oldie, am only in my early 30s
Attached Thumbnails Canada Radio Stations-entertainment_00003.gif  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.