Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Old May 4th 2017, 9:39 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Originally Posted by Oink
I think you sound very grown up.
Old May 4th 2017, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
The OP would perhaps find a happy home in Bavaria:
- some of the best roads in the world if you like speed.
- a massive selection of exceptionally powerful German cars are everywhere (my boss just traded up from 450bhp to over 600bhp)
- English is widely spoken with many english language jobs
- under two hours to over 100 ski resorts in Austria, Germany and Switzerland (from Munich)
- high salaries and low fuel prices
- a very conservative view in regional government on protecting the autobahn culture at all costs, despite the rumblings in Berlin about slowing people down
- very unlikely to hit a moose....

Cars are expensive here but salaries make up for it.
I was about to move there until the moose part... My primary purpose of emigration is hitting a moose with a car at high speed, I can't explain it, it's just an innate desire I've always had in me... now if I can put a Moose head on a badger and hit that at high speed maybe that will do it. Yes, having considered this option I will be emigrating after all.
Old May 4th 2017, 9:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I was about to move there until the moose part... My primary purpose of emigration is hitting a moose with a car at high speed, I can't explain it, it's just an innate desire I've always had in me... now if I can put a Moose head on a badger and hit that at high speed maybe that will do it. Yes, having considered this option I will be emigrating after all.
Here's a German car after hitting a deer, you could achieve the same in Bavaria. Granted it's not the same as hitting a moose but then I'm here to type this.
Attached Thumbnails is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?-img_1178.jpg  
Old May 4th 2017, 9:57 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary - cameras all over the highways, eye in the sky helicopters ........ and batman of course, seen almost daily in the city 😲😂
Attached Thumbnails is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?-img_6797.jpg  
Old May 4th 2017, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Here's a German car after hitting a deer, you could achieve the same in Bavaria. Granted it's not the same as hitting a moose but then I'm here to type this.
If someone asked me who would win in a fight.. A beetle or a deer I'd have bet on the deer but your photo proves me wrong!

Ps I'm glad you made it
Old May 4th 2017, 11:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If someone asked me who would win in a fight.. A beetle or a deer I'd have bet on the deer but your photo proves me wrong!

Ps I'm glad you made it
Thanks. The Beetle suffered a number of mishaps, the worst being when a truck load of rebar went through the windscreen narrowly missing impaling the driver. The deer finished it off, disappointing just short of 200,000 miles on the clock. The Beetle didn't finish the deer though, I had to get out and deal with that.
Old May 4th 2017, 11:12 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Thanks. The Beetle suffered a number of mishaps, the worst being when a truck load of rebar went through the windscreen narrowly missing impaling the driver. The deer finished it off, disappointing just short of 200,000 miles on the clock. The Beetle didn't finish the deer though, I had to get out and deal with that.
Jeez, lucky escape
Old May 4th 2017, 11:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Jeez, lucky escape
The rebar one was a shocker, I was surprised the car was repaired. It happened on a very minor road in a pretty bleak spot on my way home from work. The truck driver was mute (medically or for legal reasons I don't know) so I walked to a farmhouse to ask the location to give to the police but no one spoke English (surprisingly common in the country as in the city). I was wondering what to do next when the son of a neighbor happened by (a man who incidentally, wrestles wild pigs in mud for entertainment), he said the road was line n but the police would know it as line n+3, he agreed to go and let my dog out for a pee and left. I called the cops and said I was on line n+3 and they said "oh yes, that's signposted n" which made me wonder if I should wait in the local shop for local people.

Ultimately, the insurance company paid $26,000 to repair the car. I missed dinner at the Tulip with a poster from this board.
Old May 5th 2017, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by this_
That's sounds sh*te. How long do the points stay on your driving license?

5 years in BC ......... but you do only pay the Driver Penalty Point Premium once

In fact, all prohibition, suspension and/or penalty points stay on your record for five years.

A license is suspended if a driver gets 12 points over three years.

The only way to dispute penalty points is by disputing the ticket that you have received ........ and that means going to court.
Old May 5th 2017, 8:43 am
Just Joined

this_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scilly
5 years in BC ......... but you do only pay the Driver Penalty Point Premium once

In fact, all prohibition, suspension and/or penalty points stay on your record for five years.

A license is suspended if a driver gets 12 points over three years.

The only way to dispute penalty points is by disputing the ticket that you have received ........ and that means going to court.
How significantly do each set of points affect the car insurance rates?
Old May 5th 2017, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by R I C H
94 Octane is generally the highest rating here. 87 is standard, 91 is for vehicles requiring premium gas and 94 for high performance, though it's not available at all gas stations.

RON = Research Octane Number (used in Europe)
MON = Motor Octane Number
AKI = Anti-Knock Index. This is the number that is posted at gas stations here as "Octane". It is derived as: (RON + MON)/2
Are there any Canadian based motor enthusiast websites like piston haeds?
Old May 5th 2017, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

now if I can put a Moose head on a badger
I am glad you didn't suggest putting a badger head on a moose - that would just be ridiculous.

I believe moose were made extinct in Germany due to an influx of young and inexperienced British drivers who enjoy driving very fast. Ironically if they had the head of a badger, they may have been more visible.
Old May 5th 2017, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by this_
How significantly do each set of points affect the car insurance rates?
$175-$24,000 depending how many you have. And you pay it whether or not you have a car.

Separately, there's also Driver Risk Premium, where committing motoring crimes (including excessive speeding) add their own billing - eg $320 for excessive speeding, or $3,760 for 2 criminal code violations.

Oh, and BTW, if you have outstanding issues with private toll operators, they're government enforced. Don't pay your bridge tolls, and you can't renew your licence.
Old May 5th 2017, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
I am glad you didn't suggest putting a badger head on a moose - that would just be ridiculous.

I believe moose were made extinct in Germany due to an influx of young and inexperienced British drivers who enjoy driving very fast. Ironically if they had the head of a badger, they may have been more visible.
It seems I'm not the first to have the dream of emigration to drive fast and run over moose...

Maybe modern technology can get us a badger headed moose hybrid which could be more visible and be reintroduced to Germany.

What's best about this thread is we can discuss badger headed moose hybrids and not be told off for being silly, because the whole idea of a thread is far more ridiculous.

The idea of emigration purely on the chance to drive fast is ridiculous. The thread starter then wanting to know the effects of getting caught for breaking the law as if it has some bearing on emigration is even more ridiculous. I mean seriously, we're being asked about the effects of breaking the law because seemingly if those effects are too great then he won't emigrate.

Maybe Canada won't want someone to emigrate to their country so they can drive like a dick.

This is by far the most ridiculous thread I have ever read on this forum.

Anyway, I don't have time for this, I have a badger headed moose to breed....
Old May 5th 2017, 10:40 am
Just Joined

It seems I'm not the first to have the dream of emigration to drive fast and run over moose...

Maybe modern technology can get us a badger headed moose hybrid which could be more visible and be reintroduced to Germany.

What's best about this thread is we can discuss badger headed moose hybrids and not be told off for being silly, because the whole idea of a thread is far more ridiculous.

The idea of emigration purely on the chance to drive fast is ridiculous. The thread starter then wanting to know the effects of getting caught for breaking the law as if it has some bearing on emigration is even more ridiculous. I mean seriously, we're being asked about the effects of breaking the law because seemingly if those effects are too great then he won't emigrate.

Maybe Canada won't want someone to emigrate to their country so they can drive like a dick.

This is by far the most ridiculous thread I have ever read on this forum.

Anyway, I don't have time for this, I have a badger headed moose to breed....
You're 101% right this is exactly why I started this thread. You're a genius! Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.