Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Old May 4th 2017, 6:51 pm
  #46  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 25
this_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Originally Posted by Shakyuk View Post
This seems an odd reason to emigrate considering it is starting your life again...


I can appreciate what you say about the UK, the war on cars is something that does annoy me. I find it particularly annoying how new industrial and housing estates are built but the councils around here award roughly half to a third of the parking spaces required because they say this 'encourages people to use public transport, car share or cycle'. The council then doesn't provide any additional public transport or cycle lanes. it's still a massive pain and costly to just use public transport to get a few miles from home within a relatively high population density area. For example it is the same cost in a taxi to town for myself and my girlfriend as it is to catch the bus.


All this means is we have many new housing and industrial estates which are down to single lane roads because cars are abandoned everywhere due to lack of parking. This further increases the intolerable congestion that now seems to last until 11 pm in Wigan... anyway I went off on one there because I live in the centre of a traffic jam...


I'm a motorcyclist, I love the UK's twisting country lanes. I drove quite a bit in BC and AB and you're right the roads are faster moving, less congestion and I didn't see any speed cameras. In parts of AB I didn't see any people for hours! But the roads are wide, long and straight, even in the mountains the A roads are fast flowing long radius bends and wide lanes because they're safer and more efficient at moving traffic. If you look at NA roads, they go around the mountains, European roads go over them for fun or modern ones go under them.
In summary, NA roads are for the most part... boring in comparison to European roads. It's the trade off of having a country designed for the car and having a country with historical roads laid by the Romans. When I emigrate I'm actually thinking I'll get an adventure bike because the twisty roads in the mountains are unpaved, full of holes are not suited to spirited driving/riding. They're purely for access. Also in AB the car enthusiast scene seems more lifted trucks than lowered cars.
I did notice in BC that the mid 20's kids of the obscenely rich like driving their Lamborghini's and Ferrari's around and launching between traffic lights with the tops down and music up so everyone stares at them and they feel important... but I suspect that's not what you're lucking for haha.
Move to Canada for a lot of things, but not because you want to have fun driving. Move to Austria or Andora for fun driving, they have some of the best roads in the world.
That's the thing, I am still young enough that I can go elsewhere and restart.

There are houses that I have seen here with double yellow lines outside and basically you can live there but park your car elsewhere. Are you thinking of moving to Canada too? People rip around between traffic lights in the UK too, you're not far from Manchester and you'll see people doing that in the city centre, I don't really get the point of it. I am not sure how well I will fit into Austria, I have not been there and to be honest I'd rather be in an English speaking country.
this_ is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 6:52 pm
  #47  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 25
this_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
I have read three pages of this thread now and this still stands out to me. Those lovely country lanes that you seem to enjoy tearing up and down include families, horseriders, tractors, farm animals, peace and quiet.
You have obviously never been on a horse feeling the real fear that comes as a car races at you or you hear it and you know full well it hasnt seen you yet and due to coming so fast it will have next to no chance and guess what, you have no where to go. And you dont even want to be riding on those country lanes but have no choice as Bridleways seem to require a road to get to it, for the most part.


Here in NS speeding fines are incredibly steep compared to the UK. Tractors are everywhere on our smaller roads as are deer and skunk that you really dont want to hit.
If you are looking for fun here it will be more of the off-road ATV variety. Big trucks are everywhere but its more of a size thing.
I am not sure you wouldnt be happier in Europe if speed is what you desire.
Good for you mate, keep reading...
this_ is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 6:55 pm
  #48  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 25
this_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
+1. Anybody stupid enough to actually do 60mph, or close to it, on a country lane is asking for trouble, even if that is officially the speed limit. Our road is 60mph but thankfully very few people actually do that, it's full of blind bends and there are often tractors and other farm vehicles, pick ups, or horses coming around them in the opposite direction.

I've seen a fair few near misses from people that have come racing around the corner far too fast and had to to do an emergency stop as a tractor is pulling out from the farm entrance next to ours in the middle of the road, if they were doing 60ph (or even 50mph) they'd have no chance. And as a horse rider (and the mother of a 12 year old horse rider that now goes off hacking with her friends) those stupid people scare the life out of me.
Am I stupid for doing 60 mph on country roads in the UK because you are not capable of doing it? Government set guidelines on how to set speed limits based on evidence (there is a document I can link to if you wish), when 60 mph were set on these roads they were based on case studies or evidence. Councils have lowered speed limits on these roads and when asked for evidence through freedom of info request, guess what? No evidence...

Last edited by this_; May 4th 2017 at 6:59 pm.
this_ is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 6:58 pm
  #49  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 25
this_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat View Post
This.

For me, the petrolhead opportunities that I enjoy here are around offroading on ATV/UTV's. I have access to 000's kms of trails & logging roads pretty much from my door. So that's something we like to do as a family.

But a reason to emigrate? Not so much...
I guess that is something you like, now if I went and made a charity to stop you from doing that just because I don't like the noise you made or for whatever reason I could think of, would you be happy to live there?
this_ is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:08 pm
  #50  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 25
this_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Originally Posted by R I C H View Post
I've been stopped 4 times in 12 years here for speeding, the worst offence being caught doing 98 in a 60 zone. I've never been given a ticket or fine. I don't think enforcement by a cop is any different here. If you speed in heavy traffic/urban areas/poor weather etc the likelihood of a ticket is high. Choose somewhere less populated/light or no traffic and good visibility, then cops in my experience are lenient.
So its not that as bad in the UK? Does an average speed camera on an empty motorway at 1 am at night or 5 am early morning make sense? This is what is happening here. I do like speed but I never do when there is traffic around me or in urban areas, whats the point? You'll have to slow down for them anyway, I only ever go +/- a couple of mph in urban areas. I don't understand why an empty 60 mph country road with no entrance/exit needs to be 40 mph. I am talking about less populated areas with little or no traffic. Will cops really bother you as long as you're not doing excessive speeds? They can implement measures to make roads safer all they like at peak times but why implement in such a way that it affects you 24/7? From what you have said now, that does not happen in Canada.


I think there are far more important reasons to emigrate, but whatever motivates you is your business.
I do have other reasons too but they only account for 25% of why I want to move. Canada has good access to snow sports as well as mountain biking. That is the only cycling I like.


I enjoy driving too. Long journeys are just a fact of life here. They're rarely exciting from a driving perspective, though the scenery is pretty special and make UK motorways feel oppressive. I don't live near a large urban area, so never have to deal with slow commutes or stop-start frustrations. Those would drive me nuts.
The UK scenery looks the same most of the time.

Last edited by this_; May 4th 2017 at 7:12 pm.
this_ is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:09 pm
  #51  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 9,846
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Originally Posted by this_ View Post
I guess that is something you like, now if I went and made a charity to stop you from doing that just because I don't like the noise you made or for whatever reason I could think of, would you be happy to live there?
Are you 17? The tone of your arguments is that of a teenager.

If some organisation campaigned to restrict ATV/UTV use, it wouldn't affect my happiness that I live where I do, mainly because life isn't as one dimensional for me as it appears to be for you.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:11 pm
  #52  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,923
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat View Post
Are you 17? The tone of your arguments is that of a teenager.

If some organisation campaigned to restrict ATV/UTV use, it wouldn't affect my happiness that I live where I do, mainly because life isn't as one dimensional for me as it appears to be for you.
Howefamily is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:13 pm
  #53  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,923
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

[QUOTE=this_;12244864]So its not that as bad in the UK? Does an average speed camera on an empty motorway at 1 am at night or 5 am early morning make sense? This is what is happening here.

QUOTE]

Yes of course, wonderful generator of revenue. Its also the law, regardless of the time and whether or not it suits you.
Howefamily is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:18 pm
  #54  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

[QUOTE=Howefamily;12244873]
Originally Posted by this_ View Post
So its not that as bad in the UK? Does an average speed camera on an empty motorway at 1 am at night or 5 am early morning make sense? This is what is happening here.

QUOTE]

Yes of course, wonderful generator of revenue. Its also the law, regardless of the time and whether or not it suits you.
And on that note, a difference between the UK and Canada is that, in the former, roundabouts are the norm and, in the latter, traffic lights. At night one sits at a red light wondering when the tumbleweed might tumble.
dbd33 is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:20 pm
  #55  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,923
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

[QUOTE=dbd33;12244880]
Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post

And on that note, a difference between the UK and Canada is that, in the former, roundabouts are the norm and, in the latter, traffic lights. At night one sits at a red light wondering when the tumbleweed might tumble.
Yes for sure. Pain in the butt.
Howefamily is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:21 pm
  #56  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Done with condescending old hags
Posts: 1,194
Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat View Post
Are you 17? The tone of your arguments is that of a teenager.


Agreed!

If OP truly believes that Britain is somehow 'car unfriendly', they've apparently never tried any other mode of transport in the country.

I'm not sure what, apart from Autobahn rules on every minor road, would make them happy...
Vulcanoid is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:35 pm
  #57  
.
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,058
Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

[QUOTE=dbd33;12244880]
Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post

And on that note, a difference between the UK and Canada is that, in the former, roundabouts are the norm and, in the latter, traffic lights. At night one sits at a red light wondering when the tumbleweed might tumble.
And the radio is rubbish.
Oink is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:38 pm
  #58  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 9,846
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

[QUOTE=dbd33;12244880]
Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post

And on that note, a difference between the UK and Canada is that, in the former, roundabouts are the norm and, in the latter, traffic lights. At night one sits at a red light wondering when the tumbleweed might tumble.
Indeed. We have, I think three roundabouts in the whole of Newfoundland, all of them in the metro St John's area. Folk from around the bay are terrified of then and judging by the number of times I've seen cars stop on them or go the wrong way, a significant number of Townies don't know how to use 'em.

Four way stops are also prevalent and there are many that really should be give way signs rather than stops. The police have a tendency however to sit near them at times issuing tickets for rolling stops. Which makes me ponder that the difference in traffic enforcement in Canada is more around the employment of police to actually use a radar gun, set up a checkpoint for drinking driving/expired licence/no tax etc rather than relying on GATSO's and computers to send out fixed penalty notices automatically. So if you like the personal touch in your traffic related law enforcement then I suppose one could argue that Canada is a better place to be. Of course GATSO's don't have guns...
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:40 pm
  #59  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 9,846
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

[QUOTE=Oink;12244898]
Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post

And the radio is rubbish.
Then get Sirius XM. I'm sure there's an all Elvis, all of the time channel that would suit you.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old May 4th 2017, 7:45 pm
  #60  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 25
this_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

[QUOTE=Oink;12244898]
Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post

And the radio is rubbish.
you guys don't have aux input in Canada ?
this_ is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.