British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canada-petrolhead-car-enthusiast-friendly-country-896288/)

Shakyuk May 4th 2017 12:12 pm

Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12244516)
This.

For me, the petrolhead opportunities that I enjoy here are around offroading on ATV/UTV's. I have access to 000's kms of trails & logging roads pretty much from my door. So that's something we like to do as a family.

But a reason to emigrate? Not so much...

That's how I'm viewing the potential benefits, I'll lose the good twisting fast roads of the Welsh valleys and Yorkshire dales but I'll gain thousands of miles of trails and logging roads to ride on a more off-road orientated bike. Less speed, more technical but just as fun!

Howefamily May 4th 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by this_ (Post 12243937)
Hi All, I am new here and yes this is another I want to emigrate post but I have a very particular reason.

So in Britain driving is becoming a bit miserable. Average speed cameras are going live and breeding like rats everywhere (or soon to be everywhere). Keeping within the speed limits was not a bad idea but they're lowering the speed limits too and not only in city centers or nearby roads but also on those lovely country roads that used to be NSL (60 mph) once and now 40/50 mph. When it was NSL, you didn't really need to exceed the speed limit to enjoy driving on those roads. In short I am starting to hate driving here, every other politician who comes into power, starts targeting motorists. As an example tune into a UK radio station and listen to the news you'll realise that one of their main focus is to force people to use more public transport and reduce cars. They want to make roads narrower and put speed cameras on instead of address the actual issues that cause congestion (i.e. poor design). :)

I have read three pages of this thread now and this still stands out to me. Those lovely country lanes that you seem to enjoy tearing up and down include families, horseriders, tractors, farm animals, peace and quiet.
You have obviously never been on a horse feeling the real fear that comes as a car races at you or you hear it and you know full well it hasnt seen you yet and due to coming so fast it will have next to no chance and guess what, you have no where to go. And you dont even want to be riding on those country lanes but have no choice as Bridleways seem to require a road to get to it, for the most part.

Here in NS speeding fines are incredibly steep compared to the UK. Tractors are everywhere on our smaller roads as are deer and skunk that you really dont want to hit.
If you are looking for fun here it will be more of the off-road ATV variety. Big trucks are everywhere but its more of a size thing.
I am not sure you wouldnt be happier in Europe if speed is what you desire.

Engineer_abroad May 4th 2017 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by this_ (Post 12244034)
I don't understand what you mean by simplistic?

In the UK overpowered hatchbacks are available yes but not much American v8 powered cars which is something I like. Also look for an rs200 and then see how many you can find in the uk. Maybe I'm wrong, you're right you can get the same numbers (bhp/torque) in uk but variety seems less.

Yes speed cameras are fixed but can I ask would you prefer to drive in a constant average speed zone constantly looking at your speedometer ? I do marginal under/over speeding due to elevation of the road/traffic around me and get paranoid through these speed cameras. Also we have a lot of mobile speed camera vans and in the past counties used to publish a list of their locations and now they have stopped doing that. When driving in Canada and USA I realised one thing that specially on a highway the police is a little easier to spot if you're paying attention whereas here the mobile units operate at such a position that when you do see them it's much too late. End of the day I am not moving across the ocean to speed, I want to move because being a car enthusiast seems to be discouraged here now, driving as a hobby is discouraged. Is it the same
In Canada ?

Also in regards to housing bit under the cons for uk I meant the shortage of houses and that you get a mould infested small house with no parking space for silly price but that's not something I'm too worried about it was just something else to add on the side.

I don't watch much motorsports other than events like japfest however I go to my local autosolos/cross, is that hard to find in Canada ?

Yes in Canada a car is a necessity but that is something I prefer because over here it feels like the govt really wants us to stop driving. They keep making roads narrower!

Wait till you get a ticket from the speed enforcement helicopter (don't know if we have this in Canada but Washington DC/North Virginia defiantly does).

There are cities where drivers are being squeezed out in favor or public transit and other forms of transport. Vancouver defiantly falls into this category.

As a further con I would add that driving standards in general are lower here in the lower mainland of BC than back in the UK. Also explains the astronomical insurance premiums (in BC you must purchase your third party minimum cover from a single crown corporation).

There are a lot of high end cars here in Vancouver, it goes hand in hand with the house prices being crazy, but you will spend all your time sitting in it.

In most the winding mountain roads (above about Squamish and in the interior) you need snow chains or tyres in the winter and these roads and the heavier winter conditions mean more salt and hence more corrosion. Not really suited for sports cars in the winter.

dbd33 May 4th 2017 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 12244637)
I have read three pages of this thread now and this still stands out to me. Those lovely country lanes that you seem to enjoy tearing up and down include families, horseriders, tractors, farm animals, peace and quiet.
You have obviously never been on a horse feeling the real fear that comes as a car races at you or you hear it and you know full well it hasnt seen you yet and due to coming so fast it will have next to no chance and guess what, you have no where to go. And you dont even want to be riding on those country lanes but have no choice as Bridleways seem to require a road to get to it, for the most part.

Here it is usual to see horses and horse drawn vehicles on the road. There are routinely horrific collisions with cars. The horror is compounded by the knowledge that, typically, the human occupants of the horse drawn vehicles are not eligible for state funded healthcare while the drivers of the motorized vehicles are.

Still, people are more used to seeing horses on the road here than they would typically be in the UK, some do pass wide and slow. In the UK, when one reaches the bridlepath it's relatively safe, that's not the case here. Pedestrians and riders are at constant risk from users of ATVs and dirt bikes who vent their need for speed by ploughing up the countryside instead of whizzing along the tarmac. I understand the desire to operate a motor vehicle in a manner likely to endanger innocent people, I do that everyday, but the countryside is not the place for it.

jamesmc May 4th 2017 3:07 pm

as someone that lives out in the prairie "sticks" the limit is 100kph ,,well apart from the gravel 80kph,,we very rarely see RCMP but when they are out and about "we" all know"pretty quickly but the fines are 120kph $300 no excuses...or a rcmp car facing a well used gravel road from town is sure to make his quota up for the month. usually last Wednesday /Thursday of the month ,or so it seems. living in a small village its strange to see the amount of "big banger" cars, stingrays,souped up vettes...a couple o 67 mustangs .mgb ,not forgetting the pickup trucks. The main way speeding is stoppedin the sticks is by the deer,moose,elk.skunks porcupines crossing the road and putting you in the hospital,,,,,come dusk /dawn only a newbie or a total fool speeds out my way as they say its just a matter of time before you hit one of the above even at legal speed you are going to hurt!.

raindropsandroses May 4th 2017 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12244695)
Still, people are more used to seeing horses on the road here than they would typically be in the UK, some do pass wide and slow. In the UK, when one reaches the bridlepath it's relatively safe, that's not the case here. Pedestrians and riders are at constant risk from users of ATVs and dirt bikes who vent their need for speed by ploughing up the countryside instead of whizzing along the tarmac. I understand the desire to operate a motor vehicle in a manner likely to endanger innocent people, I do that everyday, but the countryside is not the place for it.

Couldn't agree more, our yard borders the Confederation Trail, supposedly a motorized vehicle free zone but ATVs tear along it to the point that I've started walking our dog absurdly early in the morning to avoid them. The used to use our yard as a cut through to the trail too, our house was deserted for several years before we bought it and I got quite a lot of verbal abuse from ATV owners when I fenced the yard and blocked their path.

I think here in PEI they're pretty hot on picking up on drink driving, certainly a lot of people seem to have enforced breathalyzer blow boxes in their cars.

christmasoompa May 4th 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 12244637)
You have obviously never been on a horse feeling the real fear that comes as a car races at you or you hear it and you know full well it hasnt seen you yet and due to coming so fast it will have next to no chance and guess what, you have no where to go.

+1. Anybody stupid enough to actually do 60mph, or close to it, on a country lane is asking for trouble, even if that is officially the speed limit. Our road is 60mph but thankfully very few people actually do that, it's full of blind bends and there are often tractors and other farm vehicles, pick ups, or horses coming around them in the opposite direction.

I've seen a fair few near misses from people that have come racing around the corner far too fast and had to to do an emergency stop as a tractor is pulling out from the farm entrance next to ours in the middle of the road, if they were doing 60ph (or even 50mph) they'd have no chance. And as a horse rider (and the mother of a 12 year old horse rider that now goes off hacking with her friends) those stupid people scare the life out of me. :(

Howefamily May 4th 2017 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12244709)
+1. Anybody stupid enough to actually do 60mph, or close to it, on a country lane is asking for trouble, even if that is officially the speed limit. Our road is 60mph but thankfully very few people actually do that, it's full of blind bends and there are often tractors and other farm vehicles, pick ups, or horses coming around them in the opposite direction.

I've seen a fair few near misses from people that have come racing around the corner far too fast and had to to do an emergency stop as a tractor is pulling out from the farm entrance next to ours in the middle of the road, if they were doing 60ph (or even 50mph) they'd have no chance. And as a horse rider (and the mother of a 12 year old horse rider that now goes off hacking with her friends) those stupid people scare the life out of me. :(

I know. I simply dont get it. If you want to drive that fast, go do it on the motorway. Dont, at best, scare people and at worst put their lives in danger. Ugh, blows me away

Almost Canadian May 4th 2017 3:29 pm

I don't believe that I have ever seen a horse being ridden on a road in my part of Alberta. I see lots riding in ditches next to the road.

In addition, roads only just wide enough for two vehicles lined by 6 feet high hedges simply don't exist.

I have no idea why anyone would want to drive a "performance" car or motorcycle in Canada. As others have mentioned, the roads are, for the most part, so untwisty and "boring" that it appears to me that the only time the "performance" could be used would be when pulling away from traffic lights.

The same applies to having a manual transmission. As most on here did, I used one for decades in the UK before coming here but, as the requirement to have to change down to overtake is not necessary, I cannot think of a time when I thought to myself when driving, "I wish I had a clutch and manual gears."

dbd33 May 4th 2017 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12244718)
I don't believe that I have ever seen a horse being ridden on a road in my part of Alberta. I see lots riding in ditches next to the road.

Many roads here have verges wide enough for horses and carts, often a horse described as being "on the road" is really on the verge. Horse drawn vehicles go on to the tarmac where the road narrows, such as at bridges.

R I C H May 4th 2017 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12244647)

In most the winding mountain roads (above about Squamish and in the interior) you need snow chains or tyres in the winter and these roads and the heavier winter conditions mean more salt and hence more corrosion. Not really suited for sports cars in the winter.

Sand/grit outside the lower mainland, not salt. Corrosion isn't really an issue, but paint chipping is. Winter driving can be more fun than summer - lower traction makes the driving more challenging.

R I C H May 4th 2017 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12244718)
I have no idea why anyone would want to drive a "performance" car or motorcycle in Canada. As others have mentioned, the roads are, for the most part, so untwisty and "boring" that it appears to me that the only time the "performance" could be used would be when pulling away from traffic lights.

Depends where you live and how you enjoy using your vehicles.

this_ May 4th 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 12244049)
Your list of pros and cons are simplistic - life is not so black and white as you present. Some of your assumptions are just wrong.

Maybe they are which is why I posted here so thank you for correcting me.

Yes, if a V8 is your thing you'll have more choice here. If gas mileage is also your thing, the 2 together don't equate to saving any money. My last V8 got 18mpg day to day and as low as 10mpg.
My current four pot gives me 26 mpg and that is without spirited driving. Economy isn't what I am concerned about. The point of me mentioning cheap fuel was that for the same price or maybe a bit more, I can drive more and cars with bigger engines. [/B]

I don't think speeding is any more acceptable here, but you've got to realize a lot of the driving is incredibly monotonous. Next week I'm collecting a relative from the airport. It'll be a 750km round trip, which will take around 8 hours along a road that's almost devoid of noteworthy bends. I love bikes and cars, but unless I drive at double the speed limit the journey will be completely dull. If it snows or a moose runs into the road, those will be highlights.
Another poster mentioned here that they were caught at 5km/h over the limit, if that was on the highway with a limit of 110 km/h then that's ridiculous. In the UK speed cameras are slowly being set to penalise you at +2 mph so from what you and others have said there isn't a difference between Canada and UK speed enforcement anymore. What mainly makes me furious is that driving in general is becoming unacceptable in the UK. Clearly this does not suit me so it is time I try to leave. I am not sure what to think of the trip you've told me. In the UK people don't drive much but I have gone across the country (e.g. dover to edinburgh) non-stop, only stopping for petrol and food. I have done this multiple times and to be honest I don't mind it. Maybe its because I turned around more bends than I would've in Canada. When I am driving, I like it, I can do it all the time. However I somewhat see your point, you are likely to do these journeys a lot more than me so you're probably bored of it.

Outside of major urban areas, yes it'll be difficult to find such events to the same degree as the UK.

this_ May 4th 2017 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12244348)
I really can't envisage why you'd want to go through the hassle of emigration purely to give yourself a chance of standing by the side of the road walking an hour or more to get cell service reception to call an expensive cab to come pick you up, and not having your car for a week.

BTW, that's what's going to happen if you bring your attitude to BC, where 'excessive speeding' results in immediate impounding of the vehicle, regardless of where you are or how you can('t) get home. Have a read of https://www.pressreader.com/canada/t...81479274063557

RCMP use hand-held speed guns in towns and on highways, and patrol highways from the air. The first time you know about it is when someone down the road steps out at you. It's at once quite patronising and quite amusing to watch their faux concern as they jog over to the window and ask the driver "Hey what's wrong, why are you going so fast?" (direct quote from downtown Kelowna speedtrap).

Some Canadian cities are very poorly designed for public transport/walkability, because they expanded massively in the time when it was thought more cars all round was better. This can result in sitting in very long traffic to go relatively short distances.

Governments around the world are generally trying to make life nicer by reducing the need for vehicles on the one hand, and reducing their appeal on the other. Canadian distances between cities will never eliminate the need for occasional long drives (several hours of straight line with nothing to see but lake, forest, lake, forest, field, forest, lake, field, lake, forest, lake, forest), but they do target speeders (limits are often lower than in the UK), and are doing things like turning 4-lane roads in cities into 2 -lane roads with a linear park alongside (just announced in central Winnipeg).

In addition, I'm flabbergasted that you listed under a 'pro' not having any idea how safe the car you're driving, or any other vehicle around you is.

Considering the list you posited, you may find it appealing to know that drink-driving has far less social stigma here, and it's relatively common to get behind the wheel after a few drinks. Government makes noises about this, but they seem to have less success than we did.

Have you thought about Australia?

Thanks for the article, informative to understand what can go wrong in Canada but why do you assume I want to excessively speed? How does life become nicer by reducing the need for vehicles? Do you like waiting for the bus? I don't, my car gives me freedom to go where ever I want, when I want and best thing is mostly I don't have to share it with anyone. My cars have never failed MOT, I am capable of realising what is wrong with my car and fix it or get it fixed before it becomes a hazard. If someone doesn't care for their car, it's their problem. Also I have never been in charge of a car with a single drop of alcohol in me so I am not sure where you are trying to get. Australia is doesn't appeal to me, they're even shutting down race tracks.

R I C H May 4th 2017 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by this_ (Post 12244827)
Another poster mentioned here that they were caught at 5km/h over the limit, if that was on the highway with a limit of 110 km/h then that's ridiculous. In the UK speed cameras are slowly being set to penalise you at +2 mph so from what you and others have said there isn't a difference between Canada and UK speed enforcement anymore.

I've been stopped 4 times in 12 years here for speeding, the worst offence being caught doing 98 in a 60 zone. I've never been given a ticket or fine. I don't think enforcement by a cop is any different here. If you speed in heavy traffic/urban areas/poor weather etc the likelihood of a ticket is high. Choose somewhere less populated/light or no traffic and good visibility, then cops in my experience are lenient.

What mainly makes me furious is that driving in general is becoming unacceptable in the UK. Clearly this does not suit me so it is time I try to leave.

I think there are far more important reasons to emigrate, but whatever motivates you is your business.

I am not sure what to think of the trip you've told me. In the UK people don't drive much but I have gone across the country (e.g. dover to edinburgh) non-stop, only stopping for petrol and food. I have done this multiple times and to be honest I don't mind it. Maybe its because I turned around more bends than I would've in Canada. When I am driving, I like it, I can do it all the time. However I somewhat see your point, you are likely to do these journeys a lot more than me so you're probably bored of it.

I enjoy driving too. Long journeys are just a fact of life here. They're rarely exciting from a driving perspective, though the scenery is pretty special and make UK motorways feel oppressive. I don't live near a large urban area, so never have to deal with slow commutes or stop-start frustrations. Those would drive me nuts.