Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

Old May 4th 2017, 6:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is canada a petrolhead/car enthusiast friendly country?

[QUOTE=this_;12244908]
Originally Posted by Oink

you guys don't have aux input in Canada ?
I like to listen to the witty banter and gentle ribbing of British radio but here its just dreadful banality and their accents is like scraping glass on a chalkboard.
Old May 4th 2017, 6:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Then get Sirius XM. I'm sure there's an all Elvis, all of the time channel that would suit you.
I do have Sirius and am bewildered at the all-Elvis, all-Pearl Jam and all-Grateful Dead channels. Only Desmond Dekker has enough good material to fill 24 hours every day.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

this_ is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Oink;12244911]
Originally Posted by this_

I like to listen to the witty banter and gentle ribbing of British radio but here its just dreadful banality and their accents is like scraping glass on a chalkboard.
Morning radio is decent in the UK to be fair.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:09 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=this_;12244927]

Morning radio is decent in the UK to be fair.
God I hope you don't include Nick Grimshaw in that
Old May 4th 2017, 7:10 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's not just the cops you need to worry about when driving your fast car. Where we live there are many car vs Moose/Deer accidents, and car or driver rarely come out of it well. Our friend was in such an accident. He has a permanent disability now..
Old May 4th 2017, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

It was my friend who was caught and fined for doing 5km over the speed limit, it was on the Trans Canada Highway (in PEI) on an open stretch of road where the speed limit was 80. I know she isn't talking rubbish as I was in the car at the time. She did try to politely protest but was told that the speed limit is a limit not a target
Old May 4th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I love going home for the chance to drive quickly; around the M25.
That must be about 2am.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
That must be about 2am.
Very quickly, yes, but it's always faster than the 401/DVP/QEW/427. The 401 is however something to see once; 16 lanes of vehicles going at 5mph makes one appreciate busses.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

this_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
It was my friend who was caught and fined for doing 5km over the speed limit, it was on the Trans Canada Highway (in PEI) on an open stretch of road where the speed limit was 80. I know she isn't talking rubbish as I was in the car at the time. She did try to politely protest but was told that the speed limit is a limit not a target
That's sounds sh*te. How long do the points stay on your driving license?
Old May 4th 2017, 7:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
If she was going 5 over the limit, she was speeding. One assumes as she was not talking 'rubbish' she agreed she was speeding. What would she protest about, getting caught? Speeding is an absolute offence, the speed limit is not a guideline. How many get caught can often depend on the volume of traffic and most likley the most extreme offenders will be caught. When there is little traffic on the road, maybe every offender will get caught.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:38 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Of course it's not just the cops you need to worry about when driving your fast car. Where we live there are many car vs Moose/Deer accidents, and car or driver rarely come out of it well. Our friend was in such an accident. He has a permanent disability now..
True. Moose vehicle collisions in this part of the world generally end up crippling to fatal for the driver of the car. And the moose of course.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

That's sounds sh*te. How long do the points stay on your driving license?
https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en...system-drivers

Two years. I particularly want to see your reaction to their opening explanation, "The Demerit Point System encourages drivers to improve their behaviour and protects people from drivers who violate and abuse their driving privilege."

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Am I stupid for doing 60 mph on country roads
Yes, I believe you are.

Last edited by Aviator; May 4th 2017 at 7:45 pm.

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If she was going 5 over the limit, she was speeding. One assumes as she was not talking 'rubbish' she agreed she was speeding. What would she protest about, getting caught? Speeding is an absolute offence, the speed limit is not a guideline. How many get caught can often depend on the volume of traffic and most likley the most extreme offenders will be caught. When there is little traffic on the road, maybe every offender will get caught.
I wouldn't of though 5 kph over the limit was beyond the margin of error of the speed recording devices.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:45 pm

I wouldn't of though 5 kph over the limit was in the margin of error of the speed recording devices.
There is no margin of error in law, or onus on the office to provide any information on the device or calibration of the device. Nothing that would stand up in court if disputed. As stated, speeding is an absolute offence and if ticketed, it is very hard to defend, in most cases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.