Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada OAS requirements - joy!!

Canada OAS requirements - joy!!

Old Jun 13th 2017, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Helen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada OAS requirements - joy!!

I lived in Canada for approximately 19 years and currently live in Spain. I have just downloaded some info regarding my application for OAS in Canada and was somewhat surprised (both good and bad.)

According to newspaper articles, it’s a devil of a job to complete the process, but I’m doing it anyway!

These are the issues I’m asking advice on:

1. Evidence of residencies (i.e, addresses and details) from what seems like my exit from the womb!
2. Details of Landed Immigrant and then Permanent Resident status, and include periods spent outwith Canada.
3. The Government website states that contributions made in another country, in my case the UK, may count towards entitlement. (Potentially the good part!)
4. To receive basic entitlement, I should have been resident in Canada for 20 years and I’m around 6 months short of that.

I don’t have specifics on homes I’ve lived in. I could provide some and guesstimates for the others - would this be sufficient?

I do have my landed immigrant papers and Citizenship card (phew!) but many people seem to have got into difficulty because they don’t. For periods spent outside Canada (and I returned to the UK for 5 years to look after my father) I am trying to source information from employers, shipping companies, apartment rental companies to verify the periods of my stay and also my moves to and from Canada. Does anyone have another sources I might try to provide backup? There are cases where people have been denied because they can't provide copies of airline tickets. I don't have these - it's 20+ years ago!!

If Point No 3 is indeed true, I have 20 years of UK tax/NHI contributions. Has this worked for anyone?

I don’t have any commitments and would be quite happy to go back to Canada for a few months to complete the 20 year period. However, can I then leave and know that my commitments have been fulfilled? Who knows, I might even stay!

My preference is to visit a Service Canada office, as opposed to applying on line. With a bit of luck, it’ll be easier to discuss and explain my circumstances in person. Any thoughts on that?

Lastly on tax: I’d opt for tax to be deducted at source (which seems to be an option) but would still have to file my annual return. So I would declare my Canada pensions (CPP and OAS) and UK State pension. When and if I leave Canada, I declare both these sources of income to the country in which I am resident. Correct?

Does anyone have experiences to share?

I know this is a long(ish) post so I do appreciate anyone taking the time to read it and even more appreciation if anyone would like to respond.

Kind regards.
Helen's Daughter
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada OAS requirements - joy!!

Why don't you simply see how you can screw the Spanish taxpayers, rather than the Canadian ones?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Helen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeHelen_s Daughter has a reputation beyond repute

I was asking for advice - not sarcasm which of course "is the lowest form of wit."

I am not trying to screw anyone - merely claim my entitlement and pay all taxes required, regardless of where I live. More than 20 years of paying taxes in the UK and Canada is certainly sufficient for a pension. I continued to pay Canadian taxes after returning to the UK and in error. Still awaiting the refund for that.

If you have nothing constructive to say on an advice forum - particularly when you know nothing of individual circumstances - perhaps you could utilize your sarcasm on a cause more worthy of your efforts.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP has paid the relevant taxes and is entitled to a Canadian pension, she should get one. I don't see many people criticizing other posters for trying to top up NI contributions in order to get a UK pension when they no longer live in the UK.The OP lived in Canada for almost 20 years. That's a considerable chunk of one's working years and it seems entirely reasonable to me to investigate pension eligibility. OP: why don't you seek professional advice about this if no one on here is sure? It seems like a crucial thing to find out exactly the right information.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
If the OP has paid the relevant taxes and is entitled to a Canadian pension, she should get one. I don't see many people criticizing other posters for trying to top up NI contributions in order to get a UK pension when they no longer live in the UK.The OP lived in Canada for almost 20 years. That's a considerable chunk of one's working years and it seems entirely reasonable to me to investigate pension eligibility. OP: why don't you seek professional advice about this if no one on here is sure? It seems like a crucial thing to find out exactly the right information.
You can't say that about me though.

As a Canadian taxpayer, I believe I am entitled to make the comments I made above about the OP. If she doesn't like it, maybe she shouldn't post on a public forum.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Snowy, Thank you for the response - greatly appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of professional I should speak to but will investigate. There are newspaper articles highlighting individuals who have retained a lawyer so it's certainly an option.

I calculated that my time in Canada was 19.86 years but I left in the middle of a year and then filed my taxes, not realising that I was not officially a tax resident. CRA sent my refund to a bank account I no longer held - despite me advising them of that fact. The bank could find no trace of the funds and CRA was spectacularly unhelpful. My father had dementia and alzheimers and looking after him was the priority - not a tax refund.

So thank you for the tip - I realize that any pension payments are pro rated to my CPP contributions and length of residency, but I'm currently paying for cancer treatment in Spain, so every little helps.

In the meantime, I'll try to get my ducks in a row.

Kind regards.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen_s Daughter
I lived in Canada for approximately 19 years and currently live in Spain. I have just downloaded some info regarding my application for OAS in Canada and was somewhat surprised (both good and bad.)

According to newspaper articles, it’s a devil of a job to complete the process, but I’m doing it anyway!

These are the issues I’m asking advice on:

1. Evidence of residencies (i.e, addresses and details) from what seems like my exit from the womb!
2. Details of Landed Immigrant and then Permanent Resident status, and include periods spent outwith Canada.
3. The Government website states that contributions made in another country, in my case the UK, may count towards entitlement. (Potentially the good part!)
4. To receive basic entitlement, I should have been resident in Canada for 20 years and I’m around 6 months short of that.

I don’t have specifics on homes I’ve lived in. I could provide some and guesstimates for the others - would this be sufficient?

I do have my landed immigrant papers and Citizenship card (phew!) but many people seem to have got into difficulty because they don’t. For periods spent outside Canada (and I returned to the UK for 5 years to look after my father) I am trying to source information from employers, shipping companies, apartment rental companies to verify the periods of my stay and also my moves to and from Canada. Does anyone have another sources I might try to provide backup? There are cases where people have been denied because they can't provide copies of airline tickets. I don't have these - it's 20+ years ago!!

If Point No 3 is indeed true, I have 20 years of UK tax/NHI contributions. Has this worked for anyone?

I don’t have any commitments and would be quite happy to go back to Canada for a few months to complete the 20 year period. However, can I then leave and know that my commitments have been fulfilled? Who knows, I might even stay!

My preference is to visit a Service Canada office, as opposed to applying on line. With a bit of luck, it’ll be easier to discuss and explain my circumstances in person. Any thoughts on that?

Lastly on tax: I’d opt for tax to be deducted at source (which seems to be an option) but would still have to file my annual return. So I would declare my Canada pensions (CPP and OAS) and UK State pension. When and if I leave Canada, I declare both these sources of income to the country in which I am resident. Correct?

Does anyone have experiences to share?

I know this is a long(ish) post so I do appreciate anyone taking the time to read it and even more appreciation if anyone would like to respond.

Kind regards.
Helen's Daughter

Assuming you were employed in Canada you may be entitled to Canada Pension Plan, a contributory scheme.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
...I don't see many people criticizing other posters for trying to top up NI contributions in order to get a UK pension when they no longer live in the UK...
Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You can't say that about me though.
I was going to say that.

To be fair, AC is equally contemptuous whether people are seeking their legal dues from Spain or the UK.

Odd behaviour for a lawyer, really.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Dave. Indeed i did work for the full duration of my stay (and sometimes 2 jobs!)

I have confirmation of my CPP which is also pro rated and I'm happy to receive whatever I'm due. I was seen by a very friendly and helpful lady at Service Canada in Toronto who went even further and suggested I might be entitled to CPP Disability Payments, but I don't feel comfortable with that, so haven't progressed it. Partly because I don't want to curse myself - not a very rational reason I know - but also unless and until I was back there permanently, that's my decision.

Cheers and thanks for writing.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

To Aviator - i got a quick glimpse of your reoly and did have a bit of a giggle. Im Scottish and the sense of humour never quite leaves you - it has seen me through a lot of difficult stuff (assuming of course you were joking!)

And yes, I did get lost - perhaps the reason why Im now in Spain. The UK isnt exactly luring me back at the moment. Im still a very proud Canadian.

Brexit and the issue of EU citizens looms large and there is always the possibility of me (and many, many others) getting chipped out. So much for ending my days in peace and quiet. I'd be back home in Canada in a heartbeat😊
Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...According to newspaper articles, it’s a devil of a job to complete the process, but I’m doing it anyway!...Does anyone have experiences to share?
I just started getting OAS, albeit the Survivor version so it was a bit different.

I didn't find it too difficult but then I had a solid period in Canada and no absences so in that respect it was quite straightforward.

I completed the forms on line (or I saved them for completion later, I can't remember) and printed them. I used Service Canada only for certified copies of the certificates I had to send.

I also read much about delays and difficulties but official advice was to apply ten months before 'due'

I was surprised and impressed to get a letter from them two weeks later. The impressive part was that there was a very specific question which showed someone had actually taken in the information I gave.

It was about the gap between the date I arrived in Canada and the date of official Permanent Residency. The fact they asked told me that they could consider real or full time in Canada towards the qualifying period and not just as a PR. Otherwise, why ask. So that was good.

I heard absolutely nothing until 7 or 8 months later, two months to go, when I got the letter telling me what I was due.

It would be much nicer if you got an earlier decision (so you can plan) or they at least told you that they had all they needed, just so you don't fret about some other query later.

Details of Landed Immigrant and then Permanent Resident status, and include periods spent outwith Canada.
I had my original document but I signed to give authority to check whatever they needed just in case.
To receive basic entitlement, I should have been resident in Canada for 20 years and I’m around 6 months short of that.
For those resident in Canada at application time, the minimum is 10 years. I believe that if short of that, the time in the UK means you can be treated as satisfying 10 years. I imagine that the same applied for the 20 year rule but my focus was on the 10 so I can't say for sure. JonboyE might well know.

Canada Revenue would likely have that for periods in Canada and the DWP might be able to do that in the UK.

I think JonboyE has said that years of NI contributions in the UK didn't count in addition to Canadian qualifying years, so you may be treated as meeting the 20 years but not benefit from the pro-rata aspect of adding the two periods.

I'll see if I can find an earlier thread that may have some other answers. There was also a forum type website I found useful, but you may already have seen it from your other research.

I'll pop back.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that... to be honest, I'd be quite happy to fulfill the 20 year criteria and accept what Im offered - not a total of 20 years in each country. If you find the link or JonboyE has some advice, then that would be great.

My continuous stay was 17 years and then I came back to Scotland. Looked after my dad, had a cancer diagnosis and when i got the all clear came back to Toronto - probably too soon and didnt give myself time to heal emotionally. - left after 2+ years.

The possibility of a recurrence led me to the conclusion that there are more important things in life than money (necessary though it is) and getting drawn into the 'small and vile stuff!) I didn"t expect to encounter here though....

So now I'm in Spain and God willing, will be able to enjoy what it has to offer - in particular the wine ( for medicinal purposes of course� ����
Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I believe from what I have read, that you could have the years worked in the UK help you to meet the minimum requirement of 20 years, however, you would only receive 19/40ths of the Canada Pension.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...igibility.html

For UK addresses you may have lived at, I think you can put in for a Data Protection Access request which may give some of them. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...hold-about-you -

Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice Siouxie - i can provide the UK addresses and almost all of the Canadian ones - its just the specific in and out dates i wouldnt be sure of... but i filed taxes every year so hopefully that will help.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:24 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
For UK addresses you may have lived at, I think you can put in for a Data Protection Access request which may give some of them...

Thanks for the advice Siouxie - i can provide the UK addresses and almost all of the Canadian ones - its just the specific in and out dates i wouldnt be sure of... but i filed taxes every year so hopefully that will help.
The other thread I thought of is here. http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...estion-881628/
There's not as much as I thought but there are a couple of Snowy posts about entries/exits for both UK and Canada.

I can't find the Q&A thing I was thinking of. I asked a couple of questions last year and bookmarked it to check back for answers (which I did get) but it seems I deleted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.