canada or not

Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

fayrehurst is just really nicefayrehurst is just really nicefayrehurst is just really nicefayrehurst is just really nicefayrehurst is just really nicefayrehurst is just really nicefayrehurst is just really nicefayrehurst is just really nice
Default canada or not

check out this website. watched a programme on ctv last night about immigration to canada. makes you think twice about starting a new life in canada.
www.*********.com
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: canada or not

Originally Posted by fayrehurst
check out this website. watched a programme on ctv last night about immigration to canada. makes you think twice about starting a new life in canada.
www.*********.com

No jobs?????????????

Go and tell that to Alberta business community. BC is alos HOT right now.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this being trotted out again?
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:24 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fayrehurst
www.*********.com
I don't know what to say on this one...except for all those people who are unfortunate to find the immigration experience a bd one.......there are many others who are sucessful and find well paid employment and enjoy a better Q.O.L
If you have a really hard time of it, then your opinions of the country are bound to be tarnished
Its sad when you hear about highly qualified individuals having to take any job they can just to put food on the table.
Don't let reports like these cloud your image of this country..................no, its not perfect and there are things we don't like here, just as there were things we didn't like in the UK, BUT ON THE WHOLE, its a good place to live and many immigrants enjoy a happy life here.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iwanttotalktoyou
No jobs?????????????

Go and tell that to Alberta business community. BC is alos HOT right now.
There are plently of jobs, the problem is the hoops people are made to jump through to get them. Many immigrants come to Canada and find that their international qualifications and work experience are not recognised here.

Economic immigrants don't come here as refugees, they come from successful professional careers and are forcred to work menial labour to make ends meet until they can go through 4 years of schooling to "requalify" for jobs they are more than qualified to do!
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:59 pm
millymolly

mandyrawlinson is an unknown quantity at this point

15%gst, try 17.5% vat.

cost of living 5 times greater than other countrys, try living in the uk mate.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but you are only getting the reports from those who are disgruntled enough to make a website on the Internet.

I have friends who are perfect examples of the other kind of immigrants.

They moved here in February of 2004. They bought an acreage and he took a few months to do some repairs on the house. When he decided to look for a job in his field - he is a welder/fabricator - he found a job within a week I would guess.

She already had a job that she could do using the Internet. When she decided to make a change, she qualified in Canada as a financial adviser, a job that she had done in England. She is now working as a financial adviser.

They seem perfectly happy here. I talked to her this morning, she was too busy working on the electric fence around their house to spend time whining and moaning on the Internet.

You have to get all views and never forget that there are thousands of happy people who have emigrated to Canada and who are getting on with their lives and whose opinions you never hear.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Valid point, but they aren't really "professionals" such as doctors or lawyers who have a very hard time.

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Yes, but you are only getting the reports from those who are disgruntled enough to make a website on the Internet.

I have friends who are perfect examples of the other kind of immigrants.

They moved here in February of 2004. They bought an acreage and he took a few months to do some repairs on the house. When he decided to look for a job in his field - he is a welder/fabricator - he found a job within a week I would guess.

She already had a job that she could do using the Internet. When she decided to make a change, she qualified in Canada as a financial adviser, a job that she had done in England. She is now working as a financial adviser.

They seem perfectly happy here. I talked to her this morning, she was too busy working on the electric fence around their house to spend time whining and moaning on the Internet.

You have to get all views and never forget that there are thousands of happy people who have emigrated to Canada and who are getting on with their lives and whose opinions you never hear.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

This guy's gripe with Canada is a red herring (the "not canada" guy and the "caribbean medicine" guy being one and the same). He immigrated aged 2yrs old, all his schooling was in Canada. He then could not get in to/could not afford to go to medical school in Canada, so chose to study in the Caribbean instead.

He's now irritated that he can't practise medicine in Canada, he thinks because he is a Canadian citizen he should be automatically entitled, despite the fact that his medical training was at a non-accredited overseas institution.

Old Nov 21st 2005, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Interested
Valid point, but they aren't really "professionals" such as doctors or lawyers who have a very hard time.
I'm curious as to why it should just be 'professionals' that should be deemed to have such a hard time....shouldn't it take the whole range of folks into account - after all it is a whole family thing - usually. I've worked for the UK govt, I've assessed medical claims, done accounting and run a department of over 180 people and it's still taken me 2 years to get a job as a cleaning lady and now a front desk clerk in the same company. You can argue the point about working in the praries but if truth be known I'd still be on the minmum wage as was told me by a lady from Calgary, this morning. So at $1000 a month and no spare cash I earn less than I did 25 years ago.

Whilst it seems really inane that any doc is stopped form working on Canada by qualifications not recognised it still makes me wonder why any professional would want to come here. I mean you have the whole world to choose from where one presumes your quals are recognised so...huh???

Just as an interesting point....go back?...no chance!
Old Nov 21st 2005, 1:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Interested
There are plently of jobs, the problem is the hoops people are made to jump through to get them. Many immigrants come to Canada and find that their international qualifications and work experience are not recognised here.
And many immigrants find their qualifications *are* recognised in Canada - for example, engineers from Washington or Sydney Accord nations usually have relatively few problems as Canada is a signatory to these.

Jeremy
Old Nov 21st 2005, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

jagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of lightjagz is a glorious beacon of light

I see the reference of *********.com in atmost all Immigration forums related to Canada.

1. When the person is so concerned about the Canadian Immigration Dept, should've raised his/her/their voice directly and posted the details for further follow up.
2. Should've been atleast one lawsuit to question CIC, if so concerned.
3. Should've also listed the unbiased issues with other countries (Medical, Crime and other social issues with US,Aus, NZ issues etc.,).
4. I feel this is purely out of Personal failure to establish or settle.
5. It may even be a mean to avoid competition .
6. There are many many successful immigrant stories I have come across from people practising diversified professions including medicine, engineering, assistance, unskilled. Can an Average Joe afford to be sick in US at 45 without employment.
7. I still want to distinguish between immigration and "going abroad for employment and $$". The former is atmost like reborn just different that one stashes sufficient resources (in most cases) while immigrating and also few able folks arrange employment aiding a smooth transition.
8. Money can't definitely be the only objective of immigration (in most cases), a person in Iraq might earn far more than a person doing the same job in Canada, USA, UK etc..,

All I want to say is "When going gets tough, The tough get going"

Wish you all Good Luck in Canada.
- Jagz.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

This one has come up again.

I regularly come across prospective immigrants from the Indian subcontinent trying to make it to Canada or Australia, whilst I have been working in the Middle East.

These people are often technically brilliant but the problem often lies with the quality of english spoken/written or the fact that you cannot put them in front of a Client. I think this is the biggest hurdle that they face with finding jobs. One Sri Lankan guy I knew got a job in Toronto earning around $60k, but he was unable to save any money. He stayed 3 years and moved back to the Middle East.

There are jobs in Canada, I was able to secure a position in Calgary without even stepping foot in Canada and the prospect of a further interview. (Although I didn't take it).

Yes Canadian experience does help, but provided you are presentable and have a good command of the english language, you should go further.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Hi
It is always worth planning in advance for any hiccups experienced while seeking valid/relevant employment.
A site that may help prospective migrants is

www.cicic.ca

This can help you check if your credentials/qualifications will match the needs of the Canadian marketplace.
Orla

Originally Posted by Majj
This one has come up again.

I regularly come across prospective immigrants from the Indian subcontinent trying to make it to Canada or Australia, whilst I have been working in the Middle East.

These people are often technically brilliant but the problem often lies with the quality of english spoken/written or the fact that you cannot put them in front of a Client. I think this is the biggest hurdle that they face with finding jobs. One Sri Lankan guy I knew got a job in Toronto earning around $60k, but he was unable to save any money. He stayed 3 years and moved back to the Middle East.

There are jobs in Canada, I was able to secure a position in Calgary without even stepping foot in Canada and the prospect of a further interview. (Although I didn't take it).

Yes Canadian experience does help, but provided you are presentable and have a good command of the english language, you should go further.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 4:19 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikejw
It is always worth planning in advance for any hiccups experienced while seeking valid/relevant employment.
A site that may help prospective migrants is
Absolutely, it would be a fatal, nay naive, move to arrive in Canada with PR visa to then wake up the next day and find out that their hard earned professional qualifications and certification are not recognised in Canada and one can't access desired profession. but many do and then proceed to weep and wail about the reality of their self inflicted situation.

CIC can do some things but immigrants have to do some of the legwork.

"Buyer beware" - goods can be shoddy and not up to scratch, so keep receipt.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.