Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada or Northern Ireland? It's a tough one.

Wikiposts

Canada or Northern Ireland? It's a tough one.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

P & K is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada or Northern Ireland? It's a tough one.

Really can't decide. any views?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canada or Northern Ireland? It's a tough one.

Originally Posted by P & K
No contest really............................CANADA!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!............. You must have extreme family ties to even consider NI over Canada. I would suggest taking a trip over to canada, have a long one and then come back, you will notice the differences straight away. Not to be rude but to put your choice into perspective, it is like choosing between a 1 bedroomed flat in a highrise to living in a stately home.
Anyway hope you make the right choice.
Regards
frankieforehead
Old Feb 8th 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
No contest really............................CANADA!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!............. You must have extreme family ties to even consider NI over Canada. I would suggest taking a trip over to canada, have a long one and then come back, you will notice the differences straight away. Not to be rude but to put your choice into perspective, it is like choosing between a 1 bedroomed flat in a highrise to living in a stately home.
Anyway hope you make the right choice.
Regards
frankieforehead
Just wondered if you have ever been to northern ireland?, as your comments lead me to the conclusion you havent!!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

But it will cost me more if it's Northern Ireland!!

O.K, messing about over. Do the Canadians on this forum know that their football (soccer) team are in UK/Ireland tonight? yep it's N Ireland vs Canada at Windsor Park.

I know that 'soccer' is well down the list of must do sports over there but surely this game will be on Canadian TV?

Your team has just been on Sky Sports and you've brought...erm..one fan..a very attractive female dressed as, yes you guessed it, a Mountie!

Anyway I was amazed to read that Canada are ranked 15 places ABOVE Northern Ireland in the world rankings (at 95) - so that makes you favourites!

I might have a little flutter on the Canadians - hence it'll cost more if it's Northern Ireland!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

timeo is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to NI a couple of times, in a previous job which involved hassling farmers for the UK gov. Obviously I was very popular.
But I really did like it there. Some good bits, some not so good bits.
Particulary interested in some of the lovely paintings on buildings!

I have applied for PR though, so you can guess which I would choose.
Not too much skiing in NI, I wouldn't think, but I may be wrong.

Tim

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk
Just wondered if you have ever been to northern ireland?, as your comments lead me to the conclusion you havent!!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Hi
my wife hails from NI and we have been there many times.In a lot of ways it is very similar to Canada.Over the last few years with the end of the troubles(?) a lot of money and expansion has come in.A lot of American money and British firms i.e. tescos who you wouldn't have seen say 5 years ago are there.Consequentley house prices have gone up by a greater extent that in GB.It seems almost a different country than when i first went there 14 years ago,no checkpoints now etc.
Obviously a move within the UK will be much easier and there are certainly opportunities.Personally i would not move there as i will always be a 'Brit' with all the family hassels i cannot begin to describe BUT it would be a place to consider if you don't mind thought of as such.
Virtually anyone i have spoken to over there regardless of which religion they are does not want to be joined with Eire (apart from in theory/ideals) as they have now a lot of the best of both worlds,and who is to say they don't deserve it.
One of the plusses for me about Canada is the favourable view they have of England/scotland/Wales/Ireland not too many places left where if you are Engish they respect/like you.
Mike
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

This is supposed to be a thread about football! Not the merits or otherwise of Northern Ireland! Knew I should have worded the thread differently!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Canada or Northern Ireland? It's a tough one.

This is supposed to be a thread about football! Not the merits or otherwise of Northern Ireland! Knew I should have worded the thread differently!
hahahaha ok well i say northern ireland, as im kinda loyal to my countrymen xx
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Hi Jaynie35uk,
I have been many times to NI, and I know how beautiful some parts are, especially the countryside. My comments only reflect the fact that you can multiply the beauty of NI by a 1000, if you move to Canada. for example the province of Nova scotia is similar to the geographics of NI, however this is only one province.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Footie?????????????????? You should've worded it differently, as before no contest....Pharoe islands!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jaynie35uk,
I have been many times to NI, and I know how beautiful some parts are, especially the countryside. My comments only reflect the fact that you can multiply the beauty of NI by a 1000, if you move to Canada. for example the province of Nova scotia is similar to the geographics of NI, however this is only one province.
ok frankie, i will let you off , ive only been to canada once and that was ontario, beautiful yes, but no more beautiful than other places ive seen, just bigger
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

ok frankie, i will let you off , ive only been to canada once and that was ontario, beautiful yes, but no more beautiful than other places ive seen, just bigger
I think I heard the same sort of phrase last night from my wife
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

So i wasted 20 mins on a reply you didn't want!
And yes you are absolutely right
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:13 am
Just Joined

timeo is an unknown quantity at this point

Footie?????????????????? You should've worded it differently, as before no contest....Pharoe islands!!!!!!!!!!!

Naah, Canada. Only 'cos you never know whose listening....
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

I think I heard the same sort of phrase last night from my wife
that was a dream wasnt it?....hehehe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.