Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada or New Zealand

Canada or New Zealand

Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice
Default Canada or New Zealand

Hi there to one and all,

Hubby and l are wanting to emigrate...we like both New Zealand and Canada for both of them are beautiful places to want to live. l have researched a great deal about NZ and am just about to research Canada....can l ask...BC, Vancouver and Victoria sound amazing...does anyone have any other areas in mind..what we are looking for is the climate as l have a close friend arthuritus and he decides to visit me when it's cold and damp...gp recommends warmer climate...so people any ideas and info would be of use to me for my notes..to decide....thank you in advance...
xxElainexx
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:13 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada or New Zealand

Originally Posted by xxElainexx
Hi there to one and all,

Hubby and l are wanting to emigrate...we like both New Zealand and Canada for both of them are beautiful places to want to live. l have researched a great deal about NZ and am just about to research Canada....can l ask...BC, Vancouver and Victoria sound amazing...does anyone have any other areas in mind..what we are looking for is the climate as l have a close friend arthuritus and he decides to visit me when it's cold and damp...gp recommends warmer climate...so people any ideas and info would be of use to me for my notes..to decide....thank you in advance...
xxElainexx
I'd suggest Australia would be better for Arthur. If you're looking for warmer climate throughout the year then most of Canada would be out.

I'm sure others can advise in much more detail.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

goodness that rules out most of Canada, I'd say..
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Have you spent extensive amounts of time in each country? I wouldn't want to emigrate anywhere unless I was really physically familiar with where I was going. The climate in BC is more temperate than in other parts of Canada, but it's still going to be cold in the winter. Dampness would be an issue, too! Certainly don't look at anywhere like Saskatchewan, 'cos you'll be spending many months in the snow - beautiful though the province may be in those few short summer months. NZ might be a better bet climate-wise - but I've not been there myself, so can't tell you anything about the essentials like housing, cost of living, job market, healthcare, education, welfare, pensions, etc.

Good luck with your choice - it's a big one to make.

Last edited by MartianTom; Aug 11th 2009 at 10:44 am.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxElainexx
Hi there to one and all,

xxElainexx
I really can't see how Canada would be for you if you can't have cold or damp weather! The majority of Canada gets very cold (but dry other than snow) winters, and coastal BC avoids most of the cold and snow but is very rainy.

I think you need to do a lot more research about the climate of Vancouver and other areas of Canada, but suspect NZ would be much better for you (although I've no idea on the climate there, never been).

Good luck deciding.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think you need to do a lot more research about the climate of Vancouver and other areas of Canada, but suspect NZ would be much better for you (although I've no idea on the climate there, never been).
A quick glance at the NZ forum suggests lots of rain and leaky houses that are always damp. Neither of these countries offers an hospitable climate.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:26 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
Have you spent extensive amounts of time in each country? I wouldn't want to emigrate anywhere unless I was really physically familiar with where I was going. The climate in BC is more temperate than in other parts of Canada, but it's still going to be cold in the winter. Dampness would be an issue, too! Certainly don't look at anywhere like Saskatchewan, 'cos you'll be spending many months in the snow - beautiful though the province may be in those few short summer months. NZ might be a better bet climate-wise - but I've not been there myself, so can't tell you anything about the essentials like housing, cost of living, job market, healthcare, education, welfare, pensions, etc.

Good luck with your choice - it's a big one to make.
In reality, most people have only ever spent a few weeks holidays in Canada before emigrating. Many people, suprisingly enough have never even set foot in the country until the day they 'land'. My friend did just that back in 2000 and lives very happily in Caledonia, ON.

We had been to ON on vacation 3 times in as many years. In 2006 we visited NS for 5 days (job interview) and emigrated 4 months later
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

I think the main thing with New Zealand is that it is so far away so you are likely to get less visitors than you would in Canada.

I spent a month in NZ about 8 years ago and although I liked it, it is very remote and opportunities are definitely less than here in Canada or Australia.

If you are looking for climate then Oz is the way forward but again it's a long flight and it's not easy to get cheap flights to Oz.

Although I had only spent a week in Canada before we moved out here, we did a lot of research and I had also spent a year in Oz and time in NZ so was familiar with the alternatives.

We really like living in Toronto but can't speak for the rest of Canada and I've also not experienced a winter yet so might be a different story come February!

Good luck with moving and maybe the first step is to see which one you can get into before you decided which one you want to as Oz wasn't a possibility for us as jobs not on the list!!

Hope this helps

Lucy
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:26 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd be very cautious about moving somewhere to please someone other than yourself, besides if you moved to the other side of the world, how likely is it that your pal will visit on a regular basis?

It's much more complicated than simply looking at a map of the world and deciding where you would like to live. You have to consider immigration policy, where you can find work (are your qualifications recognized), cost of living (housing in victoria and vancouver is pricey).

As already pointed out, its spending some time in each place and do lots of research - overall Canada is closer to the UK and is a much more diverse country than NZ - weather in Vancouver/Victoria is probably very similar to southern NZ.

Just food for thought.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I'd be very cautious about moving somewhere to please someone other than yourself, besides if you moved to the other side of the world, how likely is it that your pal will visit on a regular basis?
Erm........check the name of her 'friend' again Dboy! Think it depends on the weather as to how often Arthuritus visits, hence the query.

Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:14 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Erm........check the name of her 'friend' again Dboy! Think it depends on the weather as to how often Arthuritus visits, hence the query.

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ies/tongue.gif

my old man always said I was a bit thick! Canada is out then me thinks...
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ies/tongue.gif

my old man always said I was a bit thick! Canada is out then me thinks...
I'd agree with that... not that you're thick (I don't think you are at all ), but that Canada's definitely out.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucycrow
I think the main thing with New Zealand is that it is so far away so you are likely to get less visitors than you would in Canada.

Lucy
So that'd be one of the main advantages of moving to NZ.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

It's much more complicated than simply looking at a map of the world and deciding where you would like to live. You have to consider immigration policy, where you can find work (are your qualifications recognized), cost of living (housing in victoria and vancouver is pricey).

As already pointed out, its spending some time in each place and do lots of research - overall Canada is closer to the UK and is a much more diverse country than NZ - weather in Vancouver/Victoria is probably very similar to southern NZ.

Just food for thought.

Awwww bless thank you for concern shown...your a treasure....
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

A big hello to you all,

thank you so very much for the replies, they have all been noted. We did rather like the idea of Canada to begin with then thought of New Zealand, but after lots of research and reading on the forums have discovered that it's a very unsettled country with the recession and the fact that BE are returning for all sorts of reasons, it's an expensive move if we had to come back home because of the new changes there etc.....
Thats why the research into Canada....we shall continue to look into the advantages if any for us and disadvantages. The southern island of New Zealand is pretty much like the UK for weather,and some one has pointed out that Vancouver is similar to the southern island...decisions decisions eh...thanks guys for your help.....

xxElainexx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.