British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canada meet up in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canada-meet-up-uk-436953/)

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 7:24 pm

Re: Canada meet up in UK

Hi Suzyanne,
It would be really good for my OH half to talk to people with experience, he is struggling to commit to idea without having something to base it on.

Mentally I have already packed! I have no problem flying blind so to speak.

The area's we are thinking of were either BC, Alberta or Ontario, OH is an Engineering Manager, and would be looking for a job in that line.

Charlie

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 4560069)
Hi Suzyanne,
It would be really good for my OH half to talk to people with experience, he is struggling to commit to idea without having something to base it on.

Mentally I have already packed! I have no problem flying blind so to speak.

The area's we are thinking of were either BC, Alberta or Ontario, OH is an Engineering Manager, and would be looking for a job in that line.

Charlie

OH was born in ontario and has lived in Alberta

steve

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 7:37 pm

Hi Steve,
Not a psycho, promise, its wonderful the progress they have made with anti psychotic drugs....:eek:

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 4560112)
Hi Steve,
Not a psycho, promise, its wonderful the progress they have made with anti psychotic drugs....:eek:

LMAO can i have the number of the place where you get the drugs my missus keeps on threatening to kill me if i look at the Yukon 1 more time

LOL

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 7:41 pm

As wonderful as I think Canada is, I think i agree with your Missus, when it come to the Yukon!!

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 7:42 pm

Why what is wrong with the yukon???? no road access no problem:thumbsup:

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 7:50 pm

Nothing wrong with Yukon, if that's for you, going to hunt for gold???
Be a bit to remote for me...
Anyway got to go to work, darn...
Will check the site in the morning, quite happy to go along with whatever is decided, as long as it's one of the weekends I said, Midlands or there abouts is good for us and we won't be bringing the sproglets.:rofl:
Yay, freedom....

gibbos1 Mar 25th 2007 7:51 pm

The wife (Tracey) went to Montreal when she was in her teens, I have never been.

We are going for a two week holiday in July/August, staying with my brother in law and family, at the Condo in Canmore, Calgary, Alberta. They to are planning on emigrating, hopefully the end of this year. So they might like to come to meet up.

I suggested Nottingham, because it's a good drive for the people up north, A1,M1, I think? Good roads from the south, Watford, again M1? and as for the midlands, the M42 takes you straight there. We had a visit to Nottigham, before christmas and there is loads to do in the city and out. Could even meet at the Robin Hood tree, which is just north of Nott, great park, walks, cafe, then into Nott for eats and a pint?

We have a caravan, so any weekend is good for us in April. So here are some weekends we have free, I will just put the Saturday's date for the weekend.
April 14th,21st,28th, then May 12th 19th.

thanks again to you all,
Carl:eek: :thumbup:

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 7:53 pm

28th April works for us, Nottingham is fine.
Got to go or I'll be late for work.
Charlie

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 4560162)
28th April works for us, Nottingham is fine.
Got to go or I'll be late for work.
Charlie

You may find nottingham is to far north for some in south especially for ones in surrey, although looking how far newcastle is maybe you are not far off. It would take about 3hrs for us to get there. I am fairly open to the suggestion, maybe everyone interested can give there view on Nottingham mainly the one that live the furthest. I know you will not please everyone so i think majority will rule if that is ok with you carl.

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 8:08 pm

Where is the nearest area to Robin Hood Tree, I know Nottingham but can't find it on autoroute

Originally Posted by gibbos1 (Post 4560156)
The wife (Tracey) went to Montreal when she was in her teens, I have never been.

We are going for a two week holiday in July/August, staying with my brother in law and family, at the Condo in Canmore, Calgary, Alberta. They to are planning on emigrating, hopefully the end of this year. So they might like to come to meet up.

I suggested Nottingham, because it's a good drive for the people up north, A1,M1, I think? Good roads from the south, Watford, again M1? and as for the midlands, the M42 takes you straight there. We had a visit to Nottigham, before christmas and there is loads to do in the city and out. Could even meet at the Robin Hood tree, which is just north of Nott, great park, walks, cafe, then into Nott for eats and a pint?

We have a caravan, so any weekend is good for us in April. So here are some weekends we have free, I will just put the Saturday's date for the weekend.
April 14th,21st,28th, then May 12th 19th.

thanks again to you all,
Carl:eek: :thumbup:

gibbos1 Mar 25th 2007 8:35 pm

Hi all,
if you are looking for the hood tree, it's called the Major Oak and it's about half an hour from Notts. I put a search in on google and came up with loads of info. It does mention that it is free,

The Major Oak is free and easy to reach, 15 minutes along a footpath, just North of Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire, England. Also has free parking?

Please let me know what you are thinking and suggestions to other places.

Like steve has said, let me know what you think about getting there?

Thanks again,
Carl:thumbup:

landy_andy Mar 25th 2007 8:42 pm

Hi all,

Just got back from a few days in Cornwall, last trip down there I think :( as were hoping to land in the next month or so as soon as the PPR arrives. Now, with regards a meet up, we'd come along, anywhere around the midlands is fine with or without a caravan. Only prob is were deff heading to Revy in mid Apr to catch up with the builder and sort my new business venture out. So, might not be around anyway and were leaving booking the tickets to the last minute as we'll land if the PPR comes in time. We've been to Canada over 10 times in the last 12yrs or so.

Cheers,
Andy & Jackie

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 8:48 pm

Right found it looks good, for all of us in south it is about 3-3 1/2hrs from dartford tunnel

I am fine with it, we would either come up friday evening or saturday morning. i will start looking at B&B's

sans Mar 25th 2007 8:51 pm

Hi Nottingham would be Ok with us,but looks like date might not be:(