British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canada meet up in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canada-meet-up-uk-436953/)

gibbos1 Mar 24th 2007 12:33 am

Canada meet up in UK

Hi folks,
not sure where to add this post?
I am trying to arrange a canada meet up over here in UK. We are trying to emigrate to Calgary, Alberta, and was wondering if there is anybody fancy meeting for chat? Please let me know, so we can arrange time and place.

I have just tried to enter it on the meet up calander, but I think I cocked it up:confused: :unsure:

Thanks and regards,
Carl:thumbsup:

burton bunch Mar 24th 2007 12:53 am

Re: Canada meet up in UK

Originally Posted by gibbos1 (Post 4553975)
Hi folks,
I am trying to arrange a canada meet up over here in UK. We are trying to emigrate to Calgary, Alberta, and was wondering if there is anybody fancy meeting for chat? Please let me know, so we can arrange time and place.

I have just tried to enter it on the meet up calander, but I think I cocked it up:confused: :unsure:

Thanks and regards,

Hi Carl

Lets see how many people reply and then "we" will add it to the meet up thingy

Count me and the kids in

GAynor
x

Robin (The Gadget family) Mar 24th 2007 12:57 am

Carl, excellent idea, you know that we will come. Btw you seem to have set it on the calender for today! :rofl:

Robin

NovaBoy Mar 24th 2007 10:09 am

Carl

Sounds like a great idea, count us (me & OH) in!

Cheers

purple80 Mar 24th 2007 10:51 am

Hi,
Count us in there is only so much you can do on the internet:confused:

Flossie and Jim Mar 24th 2007 3:18 pm

Hiya
We would be interested too! Although looks as though this could be a "north of Watford" do?
Not to worry - if we can make it, we will!
Cheers
F&J

gibbos1 Mar 24th 2007 7:35 pm

Hi folks,
looking good, keep them coming. Has anybody got any idea's on where would be a good place to meet? What about somewhere in Midlands?
Cheers all,
Carl & Tracey:thumbsup:

purple80 Mar 24th 2007 7:38 pm

Hi,
Midlands sounds good!
Apart from sorting a date you can definately count me and OH in.
Charlie

sans Mar 24th 2007 8:36 pm

Hi if you can arrange it before the 14th of April, then we would be interested. OH is flying to Calgary on the 14th.:D

purple80 Mar 24th 2007 8:47 pm

We can do 31st March or 6th, 7th April. If it had to be before the 14th!

sans Mar 24th 2007 8:57 pm

:) No pressure intended, OH is not coming back and i will be flying out on the 27th of April :thumbsup: . We will fall in with the majority if we can.

moonraker Mar 24th 2007 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by gibbos1 (Post 4553975)
Hi folks,

Thanks and regards,

Would love to as we are in Midlands also but unfortunately we do not fet back until mid May. We would be up for a summer meet up.

KAT16 Mar 25th 2007 1:50 pm

We live in Rutland and would love to meet up. Hubby back from Afghanistan in 15days (Hopefully) but if it is before then I'll come on my own.

burton bunch Mar 25th 2007 2:29 pm

I'm easy peasy too - OH wont be there as he is in Canada - just lets make a date and a place.

Am I the only Northern would be Canuck ?

Gaynor
x

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 4:36 pm

depending on place and time i am in weekend may be best as it appears you all leave north of watford but i will be busy for next few wekkends let me know what is decided.

Regards

Steve

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 5:06 pm

I would suggest that we, If gibbos is ok with it, pm them our rough location and try picking a spot in the middle of it, then someone pick a date and we go from there, if you want a hand gibbos i am more than willing to help

steve

pinzo Mar 25th 2007 5:18 pm

I'd like to join in the meet up too if I can. would be good to talk to other people with similar interests. I'm a Midlander so all being well depending on when it will be I hope to be there.

Timbo6 Mar 25th 2007 5:28 pm

Hello all,

We live down near Watford, hopefully moving to Calgary in Aug this year if the Air Force let's me escape. Would love to meet up and chat, let us know when.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Tim & Jane

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Timbo6 (Post 4559816)
Hello all,

We live down near Watford, hopefully moving to Calgary in Aug this year if the Air Force let's me escape. Would love to meet up and chat, let us know when.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Tim & Jane

I am SE london, as a suggestion how about warwick? nice castle there if you have kids. As we would probably make a weekend of it

steve

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 5:36 pm

Gibbos,
Looks like you got fair amount of interest, as has already been suggested, think it might be time to pick location and date!!
Charlie:thumbsup:

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim (Post 4556231)
Hiya
We would be interested too! Although looks as though this could be a "north of Watford" do?
Not to worry - if we can make it, we will!
Cheers
F&J

where in orpington are you flossie i am in bexleyheath
steve

mkmurrays Mar 25th 2007 5:39 pm

Count us in too - if we're still here!

Suzyanne Mar 25th 2007 5:48 pm

We are interested too, would depend when, as 6yr old daughter has dance commitments.

gibbos1 Mar 25th 2007 6:07 pm

Hi folks.
great to see the responce we have had, I think it's a great idea for all of us to meet up, and just av a gas:D :p

We would have a bit of a problem getting sitter for the kids, so we fancy the idea of getting the adults and kids together, so we can all put names to faces?

How about a weekend soon after Easter, Sat or Sunday, or the whole weekend? Just trying to think where, outside or inside venue? How far are people willing to travel?

I will have a look on a map, mark where everyone is from and come up with some idea's?

If anybody has any suggestions, please put them forward. If it's going to be outside, how about all having a big picnic, if it's going to be indoor, any idea's about a pup?
Couple of suggestions from me, Nottingham, Shrewsbury, good park (never been) Weston Park, between Telford & Stoke on Trent? I am trying to think of places in the middle?

Cheers to all,

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 6:15 pm

Sounds good i agree with weekend,for us down south long way to come for 1 evening.

steve

gibbos1 Mar 25th 2007 6:41 pm

Hi folks,
list is getting bigger by the hour.:thumbsup:

So far we have 3 families up north, 7 families midlands, 4 families south. People up north, furthst away is Newcastle, south is around Watford.

I fancied a whole day, or afternoon going into evening?

Warwick is a good place, plenty to do, outside and in?

Anybody into camping & Caravaning?

Steved61, please, more the help the better, if anybody whats to PM me, very welcome.

Cheers,
Carl, Tracey, Emily9, James7:thumbsup:

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 6:49 pm

Hi,
Midlands is good for us, although we live in Shropshire, we have family near Warwick so that works for us, it's also pretty much in the middle of the country.

We won't be bringing our children, they have no idea what we're plotting, and the way they are behaving at the moment, they might not be coming;) Joke!
I work every other weekend, I can do 14th & 15th April, 28th & 29th April, 12th & 13th May and 26th & 27th May.

Can we do it by then, think I might burst with excitement otherwise:eek:

Think OH is having cold feet, so it would be good for him to talk, or he might be residing under the patio!

How about we pick somewhere, say for the weekend, people can arrive and leave as they want, not everyone would want to overnight????

Charlie & Chris

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 6:56 pm

Just out of interest, how many have been to Canada??

We haven't yet.....
Charlie

Suzyanne Mar 25th 2007 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 4560000)
Just out of interest, how many have been to Canada??

We haven't yet.....
Charlie

We have been as a family twice, 4 weeks at a time, 2004 and 2006

OH been loads to Med Hat with Army and R & R Calgary.

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 7:22 pm

28th/29th April fine for us- purple hate to says this but you sound a pyscho leave kids at home, hubby under patio lol - sounds like my missus:-)

My wife is canadian and i have been a number of times

Gibbos no problem with helping out would 28th/29th be ok for everyone

and would warwick be ok for everyone, if it is then i will look for B&B's in the area. Maybe day in castle would be nice depending on weather maybe picnic in grounds that way people with kids are able to entertain them. Maybe dinner in evening. If people want kids free weekend then let us all know

Regards

Steve CJ & Richard (3)

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 7:24 pm

Hi Suzyanne,
It would be really good for my OH half to talk to people with experience, he is struggling to commit to idea without having something to base it on.

Mentally I have already packed! I have no problem flying blind so to speak.

The area's we are thinking of were either BC, Alberta or Ontario, OH is an Engineering Manager, and would be looking for a job in that line.

Charlie

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 4560069)
Hi Suzyanne,
It would be really good for my OH half to talk to people with experience, he is struggling to commit to idea without having something to base it on.

Mentally I have already packed! I have no problem flying blind so to speak.

The area's we are thinking of were either BC, Alberta or Ontario, OH is an Engineering Manager, and would be looking for a job in that line.

Charlie

OH was born in ontario and has lived in Alberta

steve

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 7:37 pm

Hi Steve,
Not a psycho, promise, its wonderful the progress they have made with anti psychotic drugs....:eek:

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 4560112)
Hi Steve,
Not a psycho, promise, its wonderful the progress they have made with anti psychotic drugs....:eek:

LMAO can i have the number of the place where you get the drugs my missus keeps on threatening to kill me if i look at the Yukon 1 more time

LOL

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 7:41 pm

As wonderful as I think Canada is, I think i agree with your Missus, when it come to the Yukon!!

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 7:42 pm

Why what is wrong with the yukon???? no road access no problem:thumbsup:

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 7:50 pm

Nothing wrong with Yukon, if that's for you, going to hunt for gold???
Be a bit to remote for me...
Anyway got to go to work, darn...
Will check the site in the morning, quite happy to go along with whatever is decided, as long as it's one of the weekends I said, Midlands or there abouts is good for us and we won't be bringing the sproglets.:rofl:
Yay, freedom....

gibbos1 Mar 25th 2007 7:51 pm

The wife (Tracey) went to Montreal when she was in her teens, I have never been.

We are going for a two week holiday in July/August, staying with my brother in law and family, at the Condo in Canmore, Calgary, Alberta. They to are planning on emigrating, hopefully the end of this year. So they might like to come to meet up.

I suggested Nottingham, because it's a good drive for the people up north, A1,M1, I think? Good roads from the south, Watford, again M1? and as for the midlands, the M42 takes you straight there. We had a visit to Nottigham, before christmas and there is loads to do in the city and out. Could even meet at the Robin Hood tree, which is just north of Nott, great park, walks, cafe, then into Nott for eats and a pint?

We have a caravan, so any weekend is good for us in April. So here are some weekends we have free, I will just put the Saturday's date for the weekend.
April 14th,21st,28th, then May 12th 19th.

thanks again to you all,
Carl:eek: :thumbup:

purple80 Mar 25th 2007 7:53 pm

28th April works for us, Nottingham is fine.
Got to go or I'll be late for work.
Charlie

steved61 Mar 25th 2007 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 4560162)
28th April works for us, Nottingham is fine.
Got to go or I'll be late for work.
Charlie

You may find nottingham is to far north for some in south especially for ones in surrey, although looking how far newcastle is maybe you are not far off. It would take about 3hrs for us to get there. I am fairly open to the suggestion, maybe everyone interested can give there view on Nottingham mainly the one that live the furthest. I know you will not please everyone so i think majority will rule if that is ok with you carl.