Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada - The little things....

Canada - The little things....

Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada - The little things....

Originally Posted by Oink
In just about an hour. It would be funny if they just announced some shitty thing like Sony cloud or a new MP3 player
I'd laugh, but I doubt that even Sony will want to deal with that level of internet outrage. They'll be pitchforks.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:30 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Can we for once try and stick to the intent of the thread rather than make smartarse knowing comments from the cheap seats?

There are more than enough threads to vent frustrations and air warnings of the negatives, so please save the negatives for those threads rather than piss all over this one.
three words sprung to mind - OUTSTANDING and AT LAST!
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:30 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'd laugh, but I doubt that even Sony will want to deal with that level of internet outrage. They'll be pitchforks.
I completely missed the last gen. consoles something to do with HID banging on about about priorities, but given global warming so having to stay indoors a lot more, I'll be very interested in this gen. consoles.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:31 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

The event is just going bla bla bla in my ears...

YLOD? (GPU and CPU on same die? hmmm...HOT!)
Backward compatibility?
When?
How much?

Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really - some might say you were just showing off.

Btw, sony are announcing the PS4 today if you are interested.
This guy is such a dull presenter.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 10:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Chocolate Eclairs from Sobeys

Old Feb 20th 2013, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronaldoooo
There are some right miserable buggers on another thread, whinging and complaining about Canada. So this is a thread for all the great things about this place.

For me, it's the little things that make Canada stand out so much. On the very first day I arrived I was in the local supermarket buying a drink. When it come time to pay, I was $0.25 short...I said to the check out guy that I couldn't pay and that I would have to put the drink back. The guy reached into his pocket, pulled out $0.25 of his own money and put it into the till and told me not to worry about it!

A simple thing, but it made a huge impact on me. Since then 1000's of little things like that have made living in Canada so great. What little things about Canada / Canadians / Canadian living have impressed you the most?
My list is long but then again I am pro Canada!
1. Being able to pick a different lake each weekend and go camping for free in the bush.
2. The ability to be skiing down a mountain within 30 mins from my home.
3. The ability to be on the un-crowded hot sandy beach 3 mins from my home.
4. Being able to have fun ATVing on many of the trails in the surrounding mountains.
5. The ability to go snowmobiling on many of the trails in the surrounding mountains.
6. The ability to go snowshoeing on many of the trails in the surrounding mountains.
7. The ability to go cross country skiing on many of the trails in the surrounding mountains.
8. The well mannered kids here in Canada.
9. The amount of positive comments and lack of negative ones when watching kids sporting events.
10. Being able to hunt & fish to fill up the freezer on 100% organic food.
11. The fact that Banff / Jasper, Vancouver Island, Waterton, Vancouver, Oregon Coast, California, Yosemite, Grand Canyon are all feasible road trip / camping destinations from where we are based.
12. The fact that you get way more for your money in terms of property (acreage / square foot / lake view)
13. The friendliness of the Canadians.
14. The beer, back hand of God in particular (my hubby asked me to write this one!)
15. The fact that we can pop into anyone of the many wineries on our way home from work or for lunch.
16. Being able to go waterskiing 3 minutes away from our home.
17. Being able to go up into the bush and cut your own firewood.
18. Being able to have a campfire.
19. The roads - empty, wide and scenic.
20. How laidback the Canadians are.
21. The fact that when you throw a party everyone brings their own wine / beer and food (potluck!)
22. The fact that you can have a swimming pool for a reasonable price.
23. The fact that you can modify your vehicle without voiding your insurance (adding sled decks, boat racks etc to your truck.
24. Cheap vacations to Hawaii, Mexico, Disneyland etc.
25. The fact how parents keep each others kids in check as well as their own if necessary.
26. Cheaper fuel.
27. Being able to have a family evening out watching a live hockey game for less than $50 bucks.
28. The witches style broom / sweeping brushes (silly, I know!)
29. The way that halloween is celebrated here.
30. The way friends pitch in if you are doing renos.
31. Being able to go skeet shooting in the bush.

I could go on but you get the picture
Old Feb 20th 2013, 11:18 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly Summer stuff:

BBQ-ing all summer long and hardly ever using the cooker.

Sitting on the porch drinking a few bottles while the mozzies get zapped and cook in my fly catcher thingymazig zapper wotsit.

The occasional trip down the Danforth for a meal

Walking the dog along the lake front

A beer and wings at Frenchmans bay, Pickering

And just added this year, watching my lad play footie for the TFC Senior team
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:06 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
Winterised the pool the week we moved into the house so never used it yet and no idea what I'm doing with it when we open it again - no doubt there will be some questions from me on here about it all

I don't drink Coffee and the OH got a Keurig for Christmas but must try some of the more 'exoctic' Concoctions you mention

Agree with the seasons and summer though and looking forward to spring and sitting on the mower with a beer !
Thats not all its cracked up to be, you have to hold the beer while the mower is going and this means that you can't mow properly because they are a pain to turn with one hand, and if you put the beer in the drink holder then the constant jolting turns your beer flat.

Apparently.

For me its driving a truck along the highways with the fallen down farm buildings all around listening to country music on the radio. For some reason that always makes me smile
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:49 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
No no no - not real chocolate and fake cream
- bleurgh
Old Feb 21st 2013, 7:16 am
Just Joined

ronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the roughronaldoooo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jossie
My list is long but then again I am pro Canada!
1. Being able to pick a different lake each weekend and go camping for free in the bush.
2. The ability to be skiing down a mountain within 30 mins from my home.
3. The ability to be on the un-crowded hot sandy beach 3 mins from my home.
4. Being able to have fun ATVing on many of the trails in the surrounding mountains.
5. The ability to go snowmobiling on many of the trails in the surrounding mountains.
6. The ability to go snowshoeing on many of the trails in the surrounding mountains.
7. The ability to go cross country skiing on many of the trails in the surrounding mountains.
8. The well mannered kids here in Canada.
9. The amount of positive comments and lack of negative ones when watching kids sporting events.
10. Being able to hunt & fish to fill up the freezer on 100% organic food.
11. The fact that Banff / Jasper, Vancouver Island, Waterton, Vancouver, Oregon Coast, California, Yosemite, Grand Canyon are all feasible road trip / camping destinations from where we are based.
12. The fact that you get way more for your money in terms of property (acreage / square foot / lake view)
13. The friendliness of the Canadians.
14. The beer, back hand of God in particular (my hubby asked me to write this one!)
15. The fact that we can pop into anyone of the many wineries on our way home from work or for lunch.
16. Being able to go waterskiing 3 minutes away from our home.
17. Being able to go up into the bush and cut your own firewood.
18. Being able to have a campfire.
19. The roads - empty, wide and scenic.
20. How laidback the Canadians are.
21. The fact that when you throw a party everyone brings their own wine / beer and food (potluck!)
22. The fact that you can have a swimming pool for a reasonable price.
23. The fact that you can modify your vehicle without voiding your insurance (adding sled decks, boat racks etc to your truck.
24. Cheap vacations to Hawaii, Mexico, Disneyland etc.
25. The fact how parents keep each others kids in check as well as their own if necessary.
26. Cheaper fuel.
27. Being able to have a family evening out watching a live hockey game for less than $50 bucks.
28. The witches style broom / sweeping brushes (silly, I know!)
29. The way that halloween is celebrated here.
30. The way friends pitch in if you are doing renos.
31. Being able to go skeet shooting in the bush.

I could go on but you get the picture
Now this made me smile...I'm with you on most of these.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:16 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Here they are. Crap photo due to hickory sticky fingers

(Please ignore those notes on my desk, I couldn't be arsed to crop them out.)
I don't believe they're yours, I reckon you have Novo around for lunch.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:03 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Greenhill your hickory sticks look just like a bowl of Cheesie Whotsits!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Thats not all its cracked up to be, you have to hold the beer while the mower is going and this means that you can't mow properly because they are a pain to turn with one hand,

You need to get yourself a spinner...
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:57 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Greenhill your hickory sticks look just like a bowl of Cheesie Whotsits!
More like chip stix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.