Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada lacks culture and history?

Canada lacks culture and history?

Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:51 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada lacks culture and history?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How many people on a day to day basis really embrace bilingualism; it embraces the US, but is also anti US; how relevant are the mountains to those that live in Saskatchewan or Manitoba, is Ontario or Newfoundland known for their mountains; name me some famous lakes in Alberta, outside of the Parks; are those that live in the BC interior known for their hardiness; how many wheat fields are found in Yukon?

So, basically, it's nothing in particular.

I have to agree with DBD on this one: there is no such thing as Canadian culture. It is too large a land mass with, in reality, little connecting its people to be able to give it a collective culture.
Ah yes, so lets add diversity.....

not sure Canada embraces the US but given the relations between the 2 it has a profound impact on the place...good and bad. Yes Canada is diverse....and culturally it's many things to many people. There are many things that unite us. Each area has its own Culture certain to that region.Granted we are young and are still defining our identity, which can be elusive...perhaps that is our identity.....figuring out what we are....if we feel we need to that is.

With respect to how certain things impact daily lives....can it not be said that the same applies to everyone and everywhere...did n't see any castles in my bit of the UK, nor all the pomp and pagentry that we do so well...in fact it came down to fish and chips, footy (which i loathe), pubs and corrie....that was my collective culture.....I get we have shared history etc that unites us...but day to day...is it not the case of same shit different pile?

Can't say i felt anymore culturally enriched in the UK than here. Don't get me wrong I love our history etc, but I equally love what there is here...it's.,well different.....

So I challenge you then....what precisely is culture?

Last edited by Boy d; Jul 8th 2011 at 1:55 am.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 3:35 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
So I challenge you then....what precisely is culture?
Everything you can't find here.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:09 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Everything you can't find here.
Typically British smug sarcyness of no use.....i guess we won't find that here will we now......
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:13 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Typically British smug sarcyness of no use.....i guess we won't find that here will we now......
I'm Canadian. I don't understand the rest of your post though.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:21 am
Banned

there can certainly be more High Brow Culture found in the UK rich in the arts, history etc, although i'd hardly say that all of the UK is rich with it. Most industrial areas of the UK are hardly steeped in the stuff although granted it can be found close at hand with relatively little effort.....

I have a chuckle to myself when I think of a bunch of Millwall fans or toursits in Ibiza.....I hardly doubt they are cultural ambassadors for all things British......my old man has never been to London, never been to a theatre or an art gallery.....doesn't drink fine wines or listen to Mozart.....typically working class British sharing such cultural traits as he swills Newcastle Brown Ale and partakes in tripe and the occassional fish supper.....ah to be British.....

Last edited by Boy d; Jul 8th 2011 at 4:24 am.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I'm Canadian. I don't understand the rest of your post though.

Really, by birth or by choice....as am I. Still, if one has spent time in the UK, British sarcyness rubs off does it not? Just like your command of our language has:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...27#post9471527

Last edited by Boy d; Jul 8th 2011 at 4:28 am.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Really, by birth or by choice....as am I. Still, if one has spent time in the UK, British sarcyness rubs off does it not? Just like your command of our language has:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...27#post9471527
Let's not stoop to personal insults eh? Welcome back btw.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
its not a patch on Birmimgham though!
Oh definitly , I lived about 15 miles from Birmingham and know a few people from there. Great shopping just wouldnt like to be there after dark.
Love the market, get some great bargins from the Oasis. Sigh come to think of it I dont need West edmonton mall with is 850 shops and pubs and every kind of food you can think of, plus multi cinemas and a wave pool that hold 2000 people, plus much much more oh not to forget the indoor amusment park. Bugger it Im coming back to the UK!

note to wife if your reading this, dont get ya knickers in a twist, Im only joking, you will be able to still come and shop till ya drop hun.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A bit like "Hristmasoompa C" or "Uppence T"?
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Please enlighten one.....where was the insult? I was pointing out a typically British trait in the context of a thread about culture. No insult intended at all. Happen you should switch your perspective.

thanks for blowing my cover
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Your post on rainfall in BC did that
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Please enlighten one.....where was the insult? I was pointing out a typically British trait in the context of a thread about culture. No insult intended at all. Happen you should switch your perspective.

Blowing your cover?

Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Your post on rainfall in BC did that
since i simply switched the d with a b ....i'd hardly say it was not obvious....i was of course being sarcy....
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
A bit like "Hristmasoompa C" or "Uppence T"?
Or........by the way.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 3:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, welcome back mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.