Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada lacks culture and history?

Canada lacks culture and history?

Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada lacks culture and history?

Originally Posted by OakvilleSarah
I love how people feel it's OK to slag off Birmingham but the OP asks a question about Canada and thats not OK, ****ing ex pats.

I've always found Birmingham to be charming city. If memory serves me correctly there was an exquisite KFC on Bull Street.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:28 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edmontonian
Im Canadian, but eh, Im not insulted, Im to polite (apparently) to smack someone up the side of the head for insulting me. having lived in England for 10 years, I can say with hand on heart, that there is no comparison, The Uk wins on the history side beautiful houses and lots of things to see and do, but Canada has its on unique and wonderful countryside, rocky mountians jasper park, I love going up whyte ave when they have the music festivals on.
Below is taken from the City of Edmonton website, just a few of the things you can do around here, the rest of Canada has its own culture, but I for one am proud to be Canadian, just like my beautiful wife is proud to be British.

Edmonton is a vibrant, creative and culturally stimulating city with a wealth of cultural events and resources.

Sir Winston Churchill Square, in the heart of Edmonton's urban core, is where many of the city's 40 festivals take place. The Downtown Arts District surrounds the Square and includes the Winspear Centre, home of the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, the Citadel Theatre, the Art Gallery of Alberta, the Stanley Milner Public Library, and beautiful City Hall with its millions of dollars of art on display.

However, arts and culture is not limited to downtown. Our city is well known for a myriad of festivals, including the world-renowned Fringe Theatre Festival, one of the largest theatre events in North America, and the very-popular Edmonton Folk Music Festival. For this reason, Edmonton is called Festival City!

Ed
its not a patch on Birmimgham though!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:50 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I've always found Birmingham to be charming city. If memory serves me correctly there was an exquisite KFC on Bull Street.
For some reason I've always figured you were a KFC type.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
For some reason I've always figured you were a KFC type.
And you'd be right. Although I've always been a bit worried about their potion sizes. While it may be quite hard to persuade people to go from a plate to a bucket, I fear it is not such a big step to go from a bucket to a trough.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

And you'd be right. Although I've always been a bit worried about their potion sizes. While it may be quite hard to persuade people to go from a plate to a bucket, I fear it is not such a big step to go from a bucket to a trough.
Hey I hear the Double Down is now a healthier choice seeing they've reduced the salt content.

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/diet...ning-to-canada
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:35 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Although I've always been a bit worried about their potion sizes.
You are Harry Potter, I claim my $5.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
its not a patch on Birmimgham though!
You must be smoking crack. There's a lovely place in Lozells that sells it.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
You are Harry Potter, I claim my $5.
Barry Trotter more like
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
Barry Trotter more like
Mock you may, but the magic blend of 11 herbs and spices the Colonel uses is worthy of the HSWW itself.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:23 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Mock you may, but the magic blend of 11 herbs and spices the Colonel uses is worthy of the HSWW itself.
I must admit, driving home from the Rockies last week i nearly bought a KFC. It was advertised on a billboard showing 2 chunks of chicken used as bread with bacon and cheese as the filler.

After thinking of Steve_P on here, i refrained.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
I must admit, driving home from the Rockies last week i nearly bought a KFC. It was advertised on a billboard showing 2 chunks of chicken used as bread with bacon and cheese as the filler.

After thinking of Steve_P on here, I refrained.
A wise choice my friend.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

I ****ing love the stuff Oink. I'll share a bucket with you one day.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:17 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You must be smoking crack. There's a lovely place in Lozells that sells it.
even when im not smoking crack..Birmingham has more to offer than Edmonton and Calgary put together..as does Toxteth probably.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:26 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Please explain this.

There is just as much complaining about "foreigners taking our jobs" here as there is in the UK and don't get me started about how Canadians are given first priority over jobs. Politicians here accept that it is fair to say "Jobs for Canadians first", I can't imagine a politician in the UK getting away with saying such things.
Canada's ease with immigrants stems from the fact that there is so much space. I am confident that things will change once that space starts to run out.

I accept that I have limited experience but, from what I have seen, most keep doing here what they did in their country of origin. There is little of "Doing as the locals do" as there is no such thing. I live in Alberta, as does Mandymoochops. I bet we live completely different lives. As will Elricho and BristolU

I would love for someone to be able to define "Canadian Culture" Have a go
Well is culture not the sum of history, location and politics. Canada: bilingualism, native peoples, the charter, British, French, and us influences, muliculturilism, hockey, basketball, winter sports, the great outdoors, kayaks, lakes, mountains and the snow and the hardiness it ensures, the paraires and it's never ending wheat fields, the innuit, anti Americanism..I could go on
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
Well is culture not the sum of history, location and politics. Canada: bilingualism, native peoples, the charter, British, French, and us influences, muliculturilism, hockey, basketball, winter sports, the great outdoors, kayaks, lakes, mountains and the snow and the hardiness it ensures, the paraires and it's never ending wheat fields, the innuit, anti Americanism..I could go on
How many people on a day to day basis really embrace bilingualism; it embraces the US, but is also anti US; how relevant are the mountains to those that live in Saskatchewan or Manitoba, is Ontario or Newfoundland known for their mountains; name me some famous lakes in Alberta, outside of the Parks; are those that live in the BC interior known for their hardiness; how many wheat fields are found in Yukon?

So, basically, it's nothing in particular.

I have to agree with DBD on this one: there is no such thing as Canadian culture. It is too large a land mass with, in reality, little connecting its people to be able to give it a collective culture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.