Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada lacks culture and history?

Canada lacks culture and history?

Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Canada lacks culture and history?

I think that saying that Canada lacks culture and history is fairly insulting to Canadians.

It has history as there has been human habitation there for a long time now; it's simply different from a UK or European history and generally probably less of it is written down. However that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Similarly with culture, but in this case I'd also argue that Canadian culture benefits from many years of immigration. It has learnt better than the UK how to assimilate different cultures and mix them into something that represents all its people. Not perfectly but better.

We are moving to Canada in a few months, and whilst I'm sure there are parts of the UK culture I'll miss, equally I hope there are parts of the Canadian culture that I can't find in the UK that I'll enjoy.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for and how flexible you want to be in adopting to a different culture.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yandros
We are moving to Canada in a few months, and whilst I'm sure there are parts of the UK culture I'll miss, equally I hope there are parts of the Canadian culture that I can't find in the UK that I'll enjoy.
I don't think that's true of me. OK, I laughed long and loud at the woman yesterday who had "White Trash Beautiful" tattooed between her shoulder blades but that was a short lived thing. It's great to have access to the foods of the world but that's not really Canadian, just a benefit of having a primarily immigrant population. Celine Dion, I suppose, defines Canadian Culture. Again, it's a laugh to hear her cover AC/DC, but not engaging for the long term.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

This is such a funny insular thread! It speaks as much to what motivates the particular individuals writing than to the strengths and weaknesses of Canada.

If you define "Culture" as castles or free art museums or museums full of old national suits of armor, then Canada is probably not going to not do well.

And if you define it in other terms, then it can seem pretty amazing.

The nice thing is that many people on this list have the amazing gift of free movement to live where they will be happily immersed in the culture of their choice.

Last edited by bewillow; Jul 7th 2011 at 10:41 am.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewillow
And if you define it in other terms, then it can seem pretty amazing.
What are those terms?
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:09 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Ah, yes, Cadbury: that fine subsidiary of Kraft Foods of Northfield, Illinois.
GRRRRR really not happy a chocolate company was bought by a shit North American rubber cheese company
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I've got to say this is a bit of a daft question, they're all colonies, so clearly they don't have the cultural history of a European country in terms of architecture and so on, this should be obvious. I mean, yes, the First Nations do their best but given that the colonists wiped out 95% of their populations with disease you shouldn't be expecting Head-Smashed-In to resemble the Colosseum.

Québec City is the closest you're going to get to a traditional European city in North America, as it was the first city of any consequence founded.

It's more about scenery than places in Canada, imo.
I think you've just pissed off a few Newfs.

You are largely right, though. What Europeans would describe as architecture is largely confined to the older cities, such as Quebec and Trois Rivieres, and newer places, such as Montreal, Halifax and Ottawa (and Ottawa has only been around since the mid-19th century).
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

OakvilleSarah is an unknown quantity at this point

I love how people feel it's OK to slag off Birmingham but the OP asks a question about Canada and thats not OK, ****ing ex pats.

OP, I have been here 5 years, I love parts of it and I will miss it greatly when I leave in August, I had a baby here, built a house, met lots of wonderful Canadian friends but to a certain extent yes, Canada does lack culture. When you come from an old country the lack of history is noticable, books are expensive and I would rather shop in Manchester than Toronto, buts that is my opinion.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Similarly with culture, but in this case I'd also argue that Canadian culture benefits from many years of immigration. It has learnt better than the UK how to assimilate different cultures and mix them into something that represents all its people. Not perfectly but better.
Please explain this.

There is just as much complaining about "foreigners taking our jobs" here as there is in the UK and don't get me started about how Canadians are given first priority over jobs. Politicians here accept that it is fair to say "Jobs for Canadians first", I can't imagine a politician in the UK getting away with saying such things.

Canada's ease with immigrants stems from the fact that there is so much space. I am confident that things will change once that space starts to run out.

I accept that I have limited experience but, from what I have seen, most keep doing here what they did in their country of origin. There is little of "Doing as the locals do" as there is no such thing. I live in Alberta, as does Mandymoochops. I bet we live completely different lives. As will Elricho and BristolUK.

I would love for someone to be able to define "Canadian Culture" Have a go
Old Jul 7th 2011, 3:00 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that saying that Canada lacks culture and history is fairly insulting to Canadians.

It has history as there has been human habitation there for a long time now; it's simply different from a UK or European history and generally probably less of it is written down. However that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for and how flexible you want to be in adopting to a different culture.
Er, assimilation (melting pot) is the US model. The Canadian Mosaic is a co-existence of different cultures. It has been that way for a long time, although it is probably now changing. What you said is, however, plain wrong.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 3:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The OP, who it seems has either got the answer he needed or else has been scared off, did say...

"Just like US, Australia, and New Zealand excluding the indigenous cultures"...

No one is denying that there is an indigenous culture going back thousands of years.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 3:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Please explain this.

There is just as much complaining about "foreigners taking our jobs" here as there is in the UK and don't get me started about how Canadians are given first priority over jobs. Politicians here accept that it is fair to say "Jobs for Canadians first", I can't imagine a politician in the UK getting away with saying such things.

Canada's ease with immigrants stems from the fact that there is so much space. I am confident that things will change once that space starts to run out.
Most countries have a policy that says if there are people here already qualified to do the job there is no need to bring in others.

Canadas situation is a little unique in that talented people are often drawn away to the US.

The UK for some reason has always been rather up tight about immigration, or at least thats how it seems to me. Maybe some lingering thing about the empire, who knows?

I think having the space for people to live how they want with little impact on others is a factor here, but as something like 30% of canadians are immigrants, and more are decended from immigrants maybe that will stabilise any tension. By the time space runs out (if that ever happens) the immigrants and their descendents will be the majority anyway, so I dont think anything much will change. I guess that given enough time we will find out. Maybe Sweden which also has a liberal immigration policy, but less space, would be a good example to look to.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 3:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

I would love for someone to be able to define "Canadian Culture" Have a go
Poorly dressed people with bad haircuts enjoying Timmies or the BBQ while listening to Shania at the "show and shine" in the Zellers parking lot at the out of town mall. Its a fund raiser for the united way or terry fox
Old Jul 7th 2011, 3:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

Im Canadian, but eh, Im not insulted, Im to polite (apparently) to smack someone up the side of the head for insulting me. having lived in England for 10 years, I can say with hand on heart, that there is no comparison, The Uk wins on the history side beautiful houses and lots of things to see and do, but Canada has its on unique and wonderful countryside, rocky mountians jasper park, I love going up whyte ave when they have the music festivals on.
Below is taken from the City of Edmonton website, just a few of the things you can do around here, the rest of Canada has its own culture, but I for one am proud to be Canadian, just like my beautiful wife is proud to be British.

Edmonton is a vibrant, creative and culturally stimulating city with a wealth of cultural events and resources.

Sir Winston Churchill Square, in the heart of Edmonton's urban core, is where many of the city's 40 festivals take place. The Downtown Arts District surrounds the Square and includes the Winspear Centre, home of the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, the Citadel Theatre, the Art Gallery of Alberta, the Stanley Milner Public Library, and beautiful City Hall with its millions of dollars of art on display.

However, arts and culture is not limited to downtown. Our city is well known for a myriad of festivals, including the world-renowned Fringe Theatre Festival, one of the largest theatre events in North America, and the very-popular Edmonton Folk Music Festival. For this reason, Edmonton is called Festival City!

Ed
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OakvilleSarah
I love how people feel it's OK to slag off Birmingham
It is okay to slag off Birmingham. One of the best examples of wrecking a city with high-rises during the 1960s.

My grandparents got married in the church in Handsworth opposite the Saddam Hussein mosque (or whatever it's called now). Before the A34 was altered to put in all the flyovers and underpasses it was quite a posh area. Not now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.