Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada lacks culture and history?

Canada lacks culture and history?

Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:51 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada lacks culture and history?

Last year i observed that they were constructing a smaller replica of the Birmingham bull ring in Ottawa city centre

The op should move there and feel right at home.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Yes, this is the culture and history. :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwSpE4SWho4

Less culture in Canada, but definitely there are more accessible nature and less traffic jam, at least in Nova Scotia! We miss London's quality theatres, museums, galleries, more diverse restaurants and antique shops. However, we enjoy ocean, trails, nice people, fresh air, ...
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:57 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigel2011
Hello,

I'm currently a resident of Birmingham but I've considered emigrating from the UK to somewhere else because I can no longer endure the weather, government, crime, etc.

A cousin of mine, who has been an expatriate for about 3 years, told me that he initially moved to Canada but became disillusioned with it because Canada "lacks" culture and history just like US, Australia, and New Zealand excluding the indigenous cultures which were devastated and rejected by the colonists and their descendants for centuries.

He also said that he would instead recommend migrating to someplace such as Spain, where he currently resides, or Italy if I wanted to experience "real" culture, history, good living conditions, and good climate.

I personally have only visited Canada twice but haven't explored enough of it to conclude if Canada "lacks" culture and history as my cousin mentioned.

For those who currently reside in Canada, is it true that there's a lack of culture and history just it is in the US, Australia, and New Zealand?
Take your cousin's info/advice and go somewhere other than Canada. For a seeker of European culture this is not the place for you. If/when you accept there's no such culture you'll find many other things to whine and moan about.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:59 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Not sure soccer is culture or not,
Well, there was some funny green stuff growing in the meat pies at St. Andrews the last time I was there.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Depends what you consider culture and history. Canada has culture and has been on the planet as long as anywhere else. Different to other countries, but just depends what you are looking for. Suits some and not others.
Hmm, I'm not aware of any posters on this forum who complain about the lack of culture in Canada.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:39 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Mexico sounds like it would be far more suitable for your lifestyle. They have history, footie and all sorts of other stuff.
Like you learned cousin says, we aint got no 'istry or cultur 'ere.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:52 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently a resident of Birmingham but I've considered emigrating from the UK to somewhere else because I can no longer endure the weather, government, crime, etc.
You're British. These issues will ALWAYS be there no matter where you live.

A cousin of mine...
...is a wally.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:20 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

The op will find that when he leaves the historical castle ladened town of Birhimgam he will reach other places in the world that dont have to rely on last years premiership table for their history.

What your cousin will have forgot to tell you is that in Canada they have mostly Canadian history, and Spain will most likley have Spanish history and so on.

Not many, if any, places have no history at all.

Same for culture.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:34 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
The op will find that when he leaves the historical castle ladened town of Birhimgam he will reach other places in the world that dont have to rely on last years premiership table for their history.
its all well and good to keep slagging off Birmingham..it does have Cadbury you know
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
its all well and good to keep slagging off Birmingham..it does have Cadbury you know
Plus it's where I was born. I expect there's a blue plaque somewhere in Edgbaston.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:38 pm

ha ha yeh but thats in a small town near Brum called Cadbury close to Bournville.

Last edited by magnumpi; Jul 6th 2011 at 9:41 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

What your cousin will have forgot to tell you is that in Canada they have mostly Canadian history, and Spain will most likley have Spanish history and so on.

Not many, if any, places have no history at all.

Same for culture.
I just wish that the culture here would include USING KNIVES WHILST EATING AT HOME OR IN A RESTURANT
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I expect there's a blue plaque somewhere in Edgbaston.
It should be easy enough to find amongst all that grey.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:44 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha yeh but thats in a small town near Brum called Cadbury close to Bournville.

No such town...its in Bournville which is a subburb of Birmingham i should know i built a laboratory complex for Cadbury HQ in Bournville near to Cadbury world.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:00 pm

No such town...its in Bournville which is a subburb of Birmingham i should know i built a laboratory complex for Cadbury HQ in Bournville near to Cadbury world.
Thanks for dat. I worked near Bournville and thought it was a town as it says bournville when you enter the area.

No not watchin willy wonka before you even ask elrico. ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.