Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada lacks culture and history?

Canada lacks culture and history?

Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Nigel2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Canada lacks culture and history?

Hello,

I'm currently a resident of Birmingham but I've considered emigrating from the UK to somewhere else because I can no longer endure the weather, government, crime, etc.

A cousin of mine, who has been an expatriate for about 3 years, told me that he initially moved to Canada but became disillusioned with it because Canada "lacks" culture and history just like US, Australia, and New Zealand excluding the indigenous cultures which were devastated and rejected by the colonists and their descendants for centuries.

He also said that he would instead recommend migrating to someplace such as Spain, where he currently resides, or Italy if I wanted to experience "real" culture, history, good living conditions, and good climate.

I personally have only visited Canada twice but haven't explored enough of it to conclude if Canada "lacks" culture and history as my cousin mentioned.

For those who currently reside in Canada, is it true that there's a lack of culture and history just it is in the US, Australia, and New Zealand?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:25 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada lacks culture and history?

Originally Posted by Nigel2011
Hello,

I'm currently a resident of Birmingham but I've considered emigrating from the UK to somewhere else because I can no longer endure the weather, government, crime, etc.

A cousin of mine, who has been an expatriate for about 3 years, told me that he initially moved to Canada but became disillusioned with it because Canada "lacks" culture and history just like US, Australia, and New Zealand excluding the indigenous cultures which were devastated and rejected by the colonists and their descendants for centuries.

He also said that he would instead recommend migrating to someplace such as Spain, where he currently resides, or Italy if I wanted to experience "real" culture, history, good living conditions, and good climate.

I personally have only visited Canada twice but haven't explored enough of it to conclude if Canada "lacks" culture and history as my cousin mentioned.

For those who currently reside in Canada, is it true that there's a lack of culture and history just it is in the US, Australia, and New Zealand?
What culture do you have in "Birmingham" which you think you will miss in Canada ?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Define "culture"...

If you come to canada seeking Verdi, Michelangelo and Christopher Wren, then it will come as no surprise that that kind of culture is thin on the ground.

Its easy to take 1000 years of continous stable government in the UK for granted, the stately homes, magnificent museums, the proms and all that stem from that I guess.

Canada (and the US, Oz etc) are all relatively new nations in that context, and while there is their own history to celebrate, and their own artistic talents to celebrate, like the group of seven, there just isnt the depth to it that you will find on older European settings. On the other hand there isnt all that bagage either and Canada isnt entirely a cultural vacuum.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you consider culture and history. Canada has culture and has been on the planet as long as anywhere else. Different to other countries, but just depends what you are looking for. Suits some and not others.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tangram
What culture do you have in "Birmingham" which you think you will miss in Canada ?
Well besides Birmingham City F.C., I sometimes attend Party in the Park and some local parks nearby.

In addition, when I was searching through some threads I came upon this one: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=656919&page=1

There seemed to be mixed reactions as to whether Canada has culture or not with one person claiming that people don't emigrate to Canada to experience its culture.

But, again, for those who currently reside in Canada does there seem to be a lack of culture and history?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

He may have a point on some of those.

Still depends what you're looking for don't it. You can argue the toss about it all day, but nobody forces you to go anywhere - you can choose the place you'd rather live without it invalidating someone else's choice. Unless it's Moncton that is - then all bets are off.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well besides Birmingham City F.C., I sometimes attend Party in the Park and some local parks nearby.
So you have the Royal Ballet and Symphony Orchestra in Birmingham, and those are your idea of 'culture'?! In which case, I think you'd be fine in Canada.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alan2005
He may have a point on some of those.

Still depends what you're looking for don't it. You can argue the toss about it all day, but nobody forces you to go anywhere - you can choose the place you'd rather live without it invalidating someone else's choice. Unless it's Moncton that is - then all bets are off.
I'm currently undecided on where to emigrate to but Canada, along with some other countries, are on my consideration list because I've constantly read about the good living standards and low crime rates.

Spain, Italy, Australia, Mexico, Canada, and France are listed as my possible emigration destinations although I'd like to read some input from current UK expatriate residents in Canada.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

While not wanting to quash a potentially interesting and illuminating debate, may I refer you to an earlier thread on this very question. There should be almost every view represented there.

Canada and Culture
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
While not wanting to quash a potentially interesting and illuminating debate, may I refer you to an earlier thread on this very question. There should be almost every view represented there.

Canada and Culture
Ahem. Check out post no. 5 - he's already discovered your previous insightful thread.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ahem. Check out post no. 5 - he's already discovered your previous insightful thread.
Shoot, I really should start reading other people replies.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So footy and music festivals?

Well, its not the premiership of course but Toronto Vancouver and Montreal have pro football teams. Toronto Fans are almost like european ones. "Soccer" here lacks the passion among the fans that it has in the UK, and of course the huge geographical distances are a bit of a problem for away supporters.

Lots of music festivals go on here. Different bands of course, but then its a different country. Lot more country and western influence here of course, that and NASCAR seem to go hand in hand.

I would agree though that culture is probably not top of the check list for people who move out here long term, they take what they find as a bonus. The major cities though will lack nothing for galleries, restaurants, shows, theater, music, global bands etc etc.

If you dont want UK weather Im not sure where In canada you were thinking of. The west coast has canadas most moderate weather, and its often compared to the UK in terms of temperatures and rainfall. Elswhere is hotter in the summer but much colder in the winter.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 6th 2011 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:43 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Mexico
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Culture and history are not the same thing. Everywhere has culture but it is rarely the same. If by culture you mean European culture then it is hardly surprising there is more of it in Europe than here.

History is different. It is as long here as anywhere else, though with a smaller population that trod very lightly on the earth, there is not much of it to see.

Post-contact history in Canada in necessarily shorter. If by "real" culture you mean a culture steeped in centuries of European history then Italy or Spain will win over the New World every time.

However, think positively. If your staring point is Birmingham then virtually anywhere in the world will be an improvement.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

In addition, when I was searching through some threads I came upon this one: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=656919&page=1

There seemed to be mixed reactions as to whether Canada has culture or not with one person claiming that people don't emigrate to Canada to experience its culture.

But, again, for those who currently reside in Canada does there seem to be a lack of culture and history?
Not sure soccer is culture or not, personally could not give a hoot about it. Party in the Park, we have one of those too.

Mixed reactions, that's what you'll get, those that do and those that don't, does not mean either side is wrong, they just have different views. Will it help you decide on immigration, probably not. My idea of culture and history is likely quite different to yours. Geological history is far more interesting to me than buildings
If we look at history of civilizations and culture, native American is older than many European civilizations. The Incas, Mayan, Canadian and American first nations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.