Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Old Sep 11th 2004, 3:42 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Originally Posted by willmore
We get lots and lots of protests in BC especially after the Liberal govt took power and started on their rampage of cutting budgets. The protests ran from small ones to a day protests from all the unions throughout BC.
I guess Alberta likes Ralphie and the majority think he's doing a reasonable job ....

Old Sep 12th 2004, 12:47 pm
squarepants

He was quoted as saying the next election will be his swansong. I think he has done a brilliant job, the only province without a debt. Kudos to the man !

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I guess Alberta likes Ralphie and the majority think he's doing a reasonable job ....

Old Sep 12th 2004, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Talking Re: Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Well, Ralphie says what he means and means what he says....the Campbell liberals promised no new taxes, more money for this and that, no union bashing......came into power and did exactly the opposite to what they promised.....they have taken away the dignity and pride of alot of the professionals in BC (social workers, health care workers), etc. Even the doctors were on work-stoppage up Island.

The really pitiful story is that there is an election next May and so of course now the Liberals are finding money to fund everything that they slashed for years, and unfortuately there is really no one on the horizon worthwhile to vote for........quite a dilemna
Old Sep 12th 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squarepants
He was quoted as saying the next election will be his swansong. I think he has done a brilliant job, the only province without a debt. Kudos to the man !
You don't have to be a genius when you've got so much oil. A bit like the prostitute who realizes that she's sitting on a fortune.

Ralphie hasn't been too helpful to the beef farmers though. He could have either given them some oil money or turned the tap off until the US opened the border to beef.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 7:04 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Seems politics is pretty much the same wherever you go. The exception in Alberta might be because there is a certain amount of money around from the oil income to have voter friendly policies like no sales tax and no defecit. I'm sure it wasnt always like that when the East held the wealth due to shipping and fishing income, before they found oil out there in Stampede country. Seems a lot like the UK situation where the "nest egg" of North Sea oil has been largely pissed away on tax cuts, rather than invested foir the benefit of the whole country in long term infrastructure and lasting improvements to society.

If you ask me there should be a box on the ballot to reject all the candidates presented and ask them to come up with someone I dont feel quite so dirty about voting for!!!. I say if the anarchists would only get themselves organised, they would have a good shot at getting elected

Iain

I know...I'm dreaming if I expect the provinces to give up anything for the sake of federal unity!

Well, Ralphie says what he means and means what he says....the Campbell liberals promised no new taxes, more money for this and that, no union bashing......came into power and did exactly the opposite to what they promised.....they have taken away the dignity and pride of alot of the professionals in BC (social workers, health care workers), etc. Even the doctors were on work-stoppage up Island.

The really pitiful story is that there is an election next May and so of course now the Liberals are finding money to fund everything that they slashed for years, and unfortuately there is really no one on the horizon worthwhile to vote for........quite a dilemna
Old Sep 12th 2004, 8:50 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=iaink] I say if the anarchists would only get themselves organised, they would have a good shot at getting elected

QUOTE]

Hehehehehehehehehehe.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=liftman]
Originally Posted by iaink
I say if the anarchists would only get themselves organised, they would have a good shot at getting elected

QUOTE]

Hehehehehehehehehehe.
Sure are right on with BC - we desperately have no good party to vote for next year
Old Sep 13th 2004, 2:29 am
Glaswegian

Sure are right on with BC - we desperately have no good party to vote for next year
I'll come over and stand as the SNP candidate

Old Sep 13th 2004, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and the scary part is that you'll probably win!!!!! (lots of Scottish people in Victoria).
Old Sep 13th 2004, 9:31 pm
squarepants

I knew they sat on something, but didn't think it was FORTUNE

Originally Posted by flashman
A bit like the prostitute who realizes that she's sitting on a fortune.

Old Sep 14th 2004, 11:32 pm
squarepants

What is stopping you then? Oh.....you have to be a citizen

Old Sep 14th 2004, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by flashman
You don't have to be a genius when you've got so much oil. A bit like the prostitute who realizes that she's sitting on a fortune...
Where is oceanMDX when you need him?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:05 am
squarepants

Probably moved back to his summer home, "CABO SAN LUCAS"

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC

Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:04 pm
squarepants

His cabinet sure did, because they cleared their debt, and that is why he has got a huge smile on his face nowadays

Old Sep 16th 2004, 8:51 pm
squarepants

Are you out there, you've gone all quiet, even on the other sites

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC