Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:32 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I guess you've never been in South East London on a Saturday night then??

:scared:

Guns are absolutely rife in the inner cities these days. A road in Clapton is known as Murder mile because of the number of drive by shootings that take place....
Would I be correct in assuming that you have never been downtown Montreal, Toronto, etc to be able to justify that response....
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
True, and that's a very good point. In Canada, about 70% of the women who were murdered were done in by their husband or boyfriend.
Do you have stats that prove that this is more prevelent in Canada than other countries?

Really speaks volumes doesn't it.....how some women would put up with almost anything to stay with their men? Personally my husband would only touch me once.....and I would be long gone.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:55 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by willmore
Do you have stats that prove that this is more prevelent in Canada than other countries?

Really speaks volumes doesn't it.....how some women would put up with almost anything to stay with their men? Personally my husband would only touch me once.....and I would be long gone.
In the US the figure is more like 60% (vs. 70% in Canada). That doesn't mean that there is more spousal abuse in Canada, rather, in the US you are much more likely to be murdered in a robbery for example.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 12:58 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by squarepants
I was referring to the situation where some indians rioted with the cops, and one of them got killed, with fire bombs everywhere, this was a while back. There might not be a lot of white vs black riots, but the cops in Toronto sure know their profiling very well, and there was one caught on camera recentlt punching a somalian kid ( jamba jamba his name was ), fantino denied it, until he was shown video of it
Fire bombs? You mean bonfires?

That was Ipperwash - and I already mentioned it.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Why will this thread not die! Please, somebody put it out of its mysery! It would be justifiable homicide

Last edited by iaink; Sep 8th 2004 at 1:31 am. Reason: typo
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:45 am
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by willmore
This is not the norm for Canada........
Willmore, you never did answer how long you've lived in Canada???
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:55 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by iaink
Why will this thread not die! Please, somebody put it out of its mysery! It would be justifiable homicide
It's got too much momentum. Remember the concept of conservation of momentum? Or in the case of this thread: conservation of angular momentum, as in spin.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 2:31 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
It's got too much momentum. Remember the concept of conservation of momentum? Or in the case of this thread: conservation of angular momentum, as in spin.
Smart arse! Very clever. Wish I'd thought of that

Worthy of Karma, but I keep trying to give it to the same select band. I think I will go visit the "africa forum" or something and hand out random Karma till I can gome back and give it to those who deserve it!
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:20 am
squarepants

Never seen any hoopla like this, since the corruption scandal :scared: It's amazing what a little balanced view of canada can do to people's perception, this is not scare mongering, its just pin-pointing what some folks are ignoring

Old Sep 8th 2004, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by indybrit
Willmore, you never did answer how long you've lived in Canada???
.....I think Willmore is a Canadian, could be wrong though!

JJ
Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by squarepants
Never seen any hoopla like this, since the corruption scandal :scared: It's amazing what a little balanced view of canada can do to people's perception, this is not scare mongering, its just pin-pointing what some folks are ignoring
You think you have a balanced view of Canada?...God help us all!!! This is nothing more than a useless thread...started by someone with a distorted view of reality!!!!!! This thread really needs to die a natural death before Squarepants head gets any bigger and he won't be able to get through the door withthe thought that he has now saved the world yet again!
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:10 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Would I be correct in assuming that you have never been downtown Montreal, Toronto, etc to be able to justify that response....

Actually I have, I've visited Montreal several times over the years, and I'd definately choose to be walking alone downtown in Montreal at 11pm on a Tuesday night over doing the same in Peckham. Heck I have done both, and was much less frightened in Montreal...
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:32 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

I wouldn't walk in Peckham at 11 o'clock on a Tuesday morning, let alone at 11pm.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:34 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
Actually I have, I've visited Montreal several times over the years, and I'd definately choose to be walking alone downtown in Montreal at 11pm on a Tuesday night over doing the same in Peckham. Heck I have done both, and was much less frightened in Montreal...

Sure I'd walk downtown Montreal any night of the week.... but other parts...
on the east side like Boucherville..........
Old Sep 8th 2004, 1:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

OK, I think we have ALL agreed that there are parts of Canada that are not good to be in at certain times, on the other hand we all seem to agree that there are many places where it is relatively safe to go all the time, Downtown Montreal and TO entertainment districts for example.

Lets turn this around then. What parts of the UK (if any) do you feel safe walking about in when the pubs / clubs are kicking the punters out???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.