Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:37 pm
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canada...just like anywhere else really !!!

Originally Posted by willmore
This is not the norm for Canada......
How long have you lived in Canada??
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:41 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I have to say that I agree with Willmore. Canada is a lovely place, if you choose the right place. Research allows this! We love our little town in Canada and did a lot of research on it prior to purchasing property there. Scaremongering does no-one any favours. Do your research fully and you should be fine. Our little piece of Canada has all we are looking for.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:51 pm
squarepants

It's amazing how people just read what they want to read Drawing attentions to what is going on here in this province/country is not a crime. Those of us living here now, read and hear about the daily stuff going on here better than those out of the country, and am glad am not the only one that sees my point of view.

There aren't any trouble or killings where I am, but on the 401 last night, someone was shot in their car, and this seems to happen most of the time. Oh no we can't talk about that now can we, we don't want to scare people away

Some people are asking about larger towns, because that is where they plan to move to, not everyone is going to move to a remote area.

Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:55 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by squarepants
It's amazing how people just read what they want to read Drawing attentions to what is going on here in this province/country is not a crime. Those of us living here now, read and hear about the daily stuff going on here better than those out of the country, and am glad am not the only one that sees my point of view.

There aren't any trouble or killings where I am, but on the 401 last night, someone was shot in their car, and this seems to happen most of the time. Oh no we can't talk about that now can we, we don't want to scare people away

Some people are asking about larger towns, because that is where they plan to move to, not everyone is going to move to a remote area.
You are quite right Mr Pants and I stand corrected although I didn't mention that people had to live in a rural community, I merely pointed out that unbiased "research" is the name of the game.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:28 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
You are quite right Mr Pants and I stand corrected although I didn't mention that people had to live in a rural community, I merely pointed out that unbiased "research" is the name of the game.
I think I can sum it up…. Some of us see to many people on here with the Rose tinted glasses on….

Not that Canada is a bad place.. I’m here and I like it.. including its flaws.. pretending they don’t exist does nobody any favours…

A little more reality would help.. when people talk of crime in the UK they should remember that we have crime here too… but ours includes guns nearly all the time..

Without some reality being injected into this forum then people who come and research here would get a very one sided utopian view of Canada… some may even confuse the opinions of the ‘rurallites’ for big city opinions if they don’t know their regions well enough!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:32 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I think I can sum it up…. Some of us see to many people on here with the Rose tinted glasses on….

Not that Canada is a bad place.. I’m here and I like it.. including its flaws.. pretending they don’t exist does nobody any favours…

A little more reality would help.. when people talk of crime in the UK they should remember that we have crime here too… but ours includes guns nearly all the time..

Without some reality being injected into this forum then people who come and research here would get a very one sided utopian view of Canada… some may even confuse the opinions of the ‘rurallites’ for big city opinions if they don’t know their regions well enough!

Here here....
Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

There's reality....and then there is someone who is looking for attention and decides the way to get it is to pull sensationalized random stories from papers and poses them as the norm in Canada.

No one is denying the fact that of course there is crime, violence, drugs in Canada - non one would be that stupid......however I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else!!!

Anyone who had half a brain would do a thorough search/research in to the country/area that they planned to move to.....
Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:56 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

There's reality....and then there is someone who is looking for attention and decides the way to get it is to pull sensationalized random stories from papers and poses them as the norm in Canada.

No one is denying the fact that of course there is crime, violence, drugs in Canada - non one would be that stupid......however I still wouldn't want to live anywhere else!!!

Anyone who had half a brain would do a thorough search/research in to the country/area that they planned to move to.....

Yes there is reality… and why do you have such an issue with it… all that has been done is a few current news issues have been posted here… a dose of reality.. Nothing wrong with that.. we frequently hear all the horror stories from the UK on this site… why not a few from home…

Yes crime exists in the big cities, and some of its not nice.. in fact some of its quite nasty.. in a very American way sometimes.. it’s the times we live in..

To me what is much more interesting is the aggression contained in your response… why so defensive?
Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:56 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Give me a bloody break you guys - you can post any number of "sensationalised news stories about any country.....Canada has still be voted to be in the top 3 of any other country as a save place to live.

If you two are SO unhappy in Canada - what attracted you here in the first place?
In all fairness here, while Canada certainly is not without many problems, I have to essentially agree with what willmore has said. Listing a few stories to support the premise that Canada is "just like anywhere else" with respect to crime should be obviously fallacious to any "intelligent" person.

Clearly, in regards to crime, Canada is one of the best countries in which to live. On this, there can be no argument.

When was the last time Canada had a race riot? When was the last time the UK had a race riot, and how may has it had over the last 10 years? One of the main reasons people emigrate from the UK is due to unacceptable crime levels. Whilst, I've never heard of anyone emigrating from Canada due to its level of crime.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:58 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I too find that this urge to pretend that Canada is some kind of utopia strange..
Please find just one post - anywhere on this entire forum - where someone has stated that Canada is some type of utopia.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:06 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by squarepants
It's amazing how people just read what they want to read
It's rather odd that you're amazed, since you're the main one who's doing it![/QUOTE]

See, you're doing it yet again!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:06 am
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
In all fairness here, while Canada certainly is not without many problems, I have to essentially agree with what willmore has said. Listing a few stories to support the premise that Canada is "just like anywhere else" with respect to crime should be obviously fallacious to any "intelligent" person.

Clearly, in regards to crime, Canada is one of the best countries in which to live. On this, there can be no argument.

When was the last time Canada had a race riot? When was the last time the UK had a race riot, and how may has it had over the last 10 years? One of the main reasons people emigrate from the UK is due to unacceptable crime levels. Whilst, I've never heard of anyone emigrating from Canada due to its level of crime.
In terms of a race riots... how about the native protests...

I'm lead to believe these have degenerated to shoot outs in the worst cases...

and they occur regularly enough across the country..
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

No - a shot-out occurred once close to Ottawa - because the Natives decided to block a main road (I can't remember the actual reason). Fortunately, everything was settled peacefully with no one killed.

To state that "it happens all the time" - is why I have such a problem with not only this thread but the fact that Squarepants is posting articles that only sensationlize problems that are not the norm. Understand where I'm coming from and going??????

There is nothing wrong with reality.....but there's reality and then the news as broadcast by CNN!!!!!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:12 am
mañana is my busiest day

Yes there is reality… and why do you have such an issue with it…
Reality? Posting anecdotal evidence is no way to represent "reality". Why do you suggest that it does when common sense suggests otherwise?
Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:19 am
mañana is my busiest day

You're ducking the issue! Gee, I wonder why? I said race riots not a single incident with one police officer shooting one Indian. Shoot outs? Ipperwash is the only incident I'm aware of where an Indian was killed. You purport that there were more? Of course I'm not counting all the ones between the Indians and the British years ago in what is now Canada - apparently you are!

Regarding "native protests", they are free to do that in a free and democratic society. Don't people ever protest in the UK?

Last edited by oceanMDX; Sep 7th 2004 at 1:34 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.