Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Investor Fund

Wikiposts

Canada Investor Fund

Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

bermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nice
Default Canada Investor Fund

The Canada Investor Fund
As of April 1, 1999, the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada is the single agent for the Investor Program. Prior to visa issuance, Investor immigrants will pay CAD$ 400,000 to the Receiver General for Canada. This can be arranged through the Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission where the Investor application is made. Citizenship and Immigration Canada, as agent, will prepare and deliver to the Investor a debt obligation in the amount of CAD$ 400,000, repayable without interest after five years. This money will be allocated among Canadian provinces for their use.

You may finance your investment in the Immigrant Investor Program. It is your responsibility to make the appropriate arrangements with the financial institution of your choice. For more information, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website.

Does this mean that the only requirement for a visa is to deposit this money? If that's so, I assume that retired people could use this method to move to Canada? We would love to go and don't need to work for a living so....
If anyone has done this I'd be grateful for any feedback.
Many thanks
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:17 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Investor Fund

No, there is more to it than just money. The main one is business management experience

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/invest-1b.html

Some of the PNPs might require only substantial investments funds...dunno though as I didnt trawl through them all.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 16th 2007 at 4:20 am.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

bermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
No, there is more to it than just money. The main one is business management experience

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/invest-1b.html

Some of the PNPs might require only substantial investments funds...dunno though as I didnt trawl through them all.
Many thanks for the response. I should have included the paragraph below, appears to put a slightly different slant?

The full amount of the investment (without interest) is guaranteed to be refunded to the investor after approximately five years.

This category normally appeals to those qualified business people who do not wish to be active in a new business in Canada, or do not wish to have terms and conditions applied to their visa
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:35 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bermudaby
Many thanks for the response. I should have included the paragraph below, appears to put a slightly different slant?

The full amount of the investment (without interest) is guaranteed to be refunded to the investor after approximately five years.

This category normally appeals to those qualified business people who do not wish to be active in a new business in Canada, or do not wish to have terms and conditions applied to their visa
Where are you getting it from? The cic website?

I suspect from the date (1999) that its an old defunct class, just like the "retirement" class that used to exist too.

BC PNP website? I would ask in the immigration area, When you read the additional blurb on the investor PNP requirements I suspect the answer is that very few if any visas are handed out under those conditions alone, but someone like Andrew Millar would probably know for sure.

From the FAQs...
"For the BC PNP Business Categories, applicants are to establish new businesses or expand existing businesses very soon after their arrival in British Columbia."

Last edited by iaink; Feb 16th 2007 at 4:43 am.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Mayfly is an unknown quantity at this point

The link below outlines the investor program.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/invest-1.html

We have applied this way and have just received our medical requests. If we are accepted our processing time will be 10 months approximately. The average processing time through the UK seems to be approximately 12-18 months.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mayfly
The link below outlines the investor program.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/invest-1.html

We have applied this way and have just received our medical requests. If we are accepted our processing time will be 10 months approximately. The average processing time through the UK seems to be approximately 12-18 months.
Thanks for the replies to my query. I'm not sure of anyone with the business knowledge they seem to want being prepared to invest $400,000 without receiving interest on the money! Bit of a contradiction there, methinks....
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

hi

we have applied this route , any bank will lend you the $400,000 up front because they know the government will pay it back after 5 years ,you just pick up the tab for the interest , you pay it up front

its costly but bypasses a lot of the time and problems mentioned on this site

good luck
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:51 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by edinburgh
hi

we have applied this route , any bank will lend you the $400,000 up front because they know the government will pay it back after 5 years ,you just pick up the tab for the interest , you pay it up front

its costly but bypasses a lot of the time and problems mentioned on this site

good luck
Are you allowed to use borrowed funds? Wouldnt that be like borrowing the finds for skilled worker landing, only more so.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

I have seen a couple of Immigration attourneys web sites,that speak of bank loans of CAN$280 with you paying the CAN$120 up front forfieting that by way of covering the loan intrest. What are the actual loses in real terms if one was to put up the whole amount and take a loss on accumalated intrest. I know in reallity you would probably expect to invest it in property and get a much better return but I just wonder if the banks are making a killing here?
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Stesol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bermudaby
Thanks for the replies to my query. I'm not sure of anyone with the business knowledge they seem to want being prepared to invest $400,000 without receiving interest on the money! Bit of a contradiction there, methinks....
You are effectively buying your PR visa - the cost of which is the interest you lose on the investment and as edinburgh said, it can save a a lot of time and trouble
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:22 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sjt53
I have seen a couple of Immigration attourneys web sites,that speak of bank loans of CAN$280 with you paying the CAN$120 up front forfieting that by way of covering the loan intrest. What are the actual loses in real terms if one was to put up the whole amount and take a loss on accumalated intrest. I know in reallity you would probably expect to invest it in property and get a much better return but I just wonder if the banks are making a killing here?
It is an effective annual compound rate of 7.394%. Not too bad but nice money for the bank given they have virtually no risk.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is an effective annual compound rate of 7.394%. Not too bad but nice money for the bank given they have virtually no risk.
Thanks Jonboy
Hoping to move to Victoria but I will have to get qualification via the challenge route (as a carpenter) if you are familiar with that. It does make you wonder if the investment route would not be simpler though expensive!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:57 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sjt53
Thanks Jonboy
Hoping to move to Victoria but I will have to get qualification via the challenge route (as a carpenter) if you are familiar with that. It does make you wonder if the investment route would not be simpler though expensive!
well, carpenters are in really high demand in the lower mainland and parts of vancouver island. shouldn't be that much of a challenge to find a job for the lmo-wp route or pnp or sw with aor, i guess??? unless i'm missing something here...