Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada home prices sag 4.1 pct in February

Canada home prices sag 4.1 pct in February

Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future
Default Canada home prices sag 4.1 pct in February

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canadian home prices accelerated their decline in February, down 4.1 percent from a year ago, according to a report issued on Wednesday.
The Teranet-National Bank National Composite House Price Index, which measures the rate of change of prices for single-family homes in six metropolitan areas, also showed prices were down 7.4 percent nationally from the peak hit in August last year. Home prices fell 2.4 percent in January from a year earlier.
"The disinflation that began in February 2008 is now a year old. The retreat means that, on the whole, Canadian housing has become a buyer's market after five years of seller's-market conditions from 2002 to 2007," said Marc Pinsonneault, senior economist at National Bank Financial.
"Will home price deflation worsen in Canada to the extent it did in the U.S.? We do not believe so."
Home prices in Calgary, Alberta, suffered the biggest year over year drop, falling 8.1 percent in February from the same month a year ago. That was followed by a 6.4 percent slide in Vancouver, British Columbia, and a 5 percent decline in Toronto.
Halifax, Nova Scotia, joined the list of markets with falling home prices, with a 0.5 percent dip.
Meanwhile, home prices rose 3.2 percent in Montreal from a year earlier, and were up 2.8 percent in Ottawa.
Market watchers say current price declines are part of an ongoing retreat since the market hit its peak in 2007.
Housing activity, including resales and ground-breakings, is generally seeing a period of softness in Canada, though the sector has not experienced the same sort of plunge that has been seen in the United States.
Higher existing home sales in February and March, which have been supported by historically low mortgage rates, are seen as an encouraging sign that the sector is stabilizing.
"The report was further confirmation that the Canadian housing market is continuing to weaken, as the worsening economic and labor market conditions continue to sap the life from the once-booming housing sector," Millan Mulraine, an economics strategist at TD Securities, said in a research note.
"Nevertheless, it is clear that the pace of correction in the sector remains measured and orderly, and appears to be a milder correction than the sharp and prolonged adjustment seen in the U.S. housing sector."
On a month-to-month basis, national house prices were off 2 percent in February following a 1.6 percent decline in January.
The index showed month-to-month declines in the composite index have now spread to all six markets, with declines from the index's peak ranging from 1.6 percent in Montreal to 12 percent in Calgary.
(Reporting by Ka Yan Ng; editing by Rob Wilson)
© 2009 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved. Reuters content is the intellectual property of Thomson Reuters or its third party content providers. Any copying, republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. "Reuters" and the Reuters Logo are trademarks of Thomson Reuters and its affiliated companies. For additional information on other Reuters media services please visit http://about.reuters.com/media/.

Just trying to add some balance to the postings from realtors on this site
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada home prices sag 4.1 pct in February

Reported in the Vancouver sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/Business...251/story.html

Supposedly the index gives a better picture than the ones normally quoted as it compares like for like sales.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:37 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

What a stupid survey, it calls itself Canada but only includes 6 Cities, 3 of them with the highest loss rates in Canada.

I quote:-

"The index showed month-to-month declines in the composite index have now spread to all six markets

Geographical Index Composition and Weighting by City

Vancouver: 23.6% Toronto: 42% Montréal: 17% Calgary: 10% Ottawa: 5.6% Halifax: 1.8%"

Thats it, no smaller Cities, no Rural, totally ignores the Prairies.

Last edited by MB-Realtor; Apr 29th 2009 at 8:49 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:49 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

The survey is very good though, for the markets that it covers, and each market should be looked at selectively, but the information should only be used for judging trends.

In any area there are going to be some market segments that rise even as others are falling, some areas may only fall a small amount and other a large amount all within the same City. Here in Winnipeg expensive, over $500,000 house prices are falling, but under $250,000 are still rising.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
What a stupid survey, it calls itself Canada but only includes 6 Cities, 3 of them with the highest loss rates in Canada.

I quote:-

"The index showed month-to-month declines in the composite index have now spread to all six markets

Geographical Index Composition and Weighting by City

Vancouver: 23.6% Toronto: 42% Montréal: 17% Calgary: 10% Ottawa: 5.6% Halifax: 1.8%"

Thats it, no smaller Cities, no Rural, totally ignores the Prairies. Talk about picking your input date to suite your conclusion.
Yeah - talk about it.

I assume it's a new index that will be aimed at people who are interested in the real estate derivatives market. They've obviously just issued a press release and are trying to make their mark - will be an interesting one to follow.

Serious question: How does real estate inflation get calculated in Canada. Is it based on the simple average of sale prices achieved? Is their any seasonal adjustment? Is there any mix adjustment (i.e. so that a lot of activity at one end of the market doesn't skew the average).

I actually think the only data of value a the moment is the sales volumes; as these are so low - it makes the other indexes too noisy to be of much use on a month-to-month basis.

On a side note - according to my banking friend a very significant chunk of real estate transactions are now 100% cash - not sure what effect this has on the market however.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:36 pm
RETIRED Realtor

Originally Posted by Alan2005

Serious question: How does real estate inflation get calculated in Canada. Is it based on the simple average of sale prices achieved? Is their any seasonal adjustment? Is there any mix adjustment (i.e. so that a lot of activity at one end of the market doesn't skew the average).
CREA figures, which incidentally cover ALL MLS sales nationwide are normally given as: Volume, $ Value and also as seasonally adjusted.

In my market I do not recall any mention of mix adjustments, nor in the CREA figures.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:39 pm
RETIRED Realtor

Y

On a side note - according to my banking friend a very significant chunk of real estate transactions are now 100% cash - not sure what effect this has on the market however.
I wonder if this is due to the `Boomer` generation downsizing, and so able to fund the new purchase entirely from the sale of their former family home.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:43 pm
RETIRED Realtor

I actually think the only data of value a the moment is the sales volumes; as these are so low - it makes the other indexes too noisy to be of much use on a month-to-month basis.
I agree with that, it really is the only scale that matters to show the trend, but lower volumes can also push up prices, we are seeing that at the moment in the sub $250,000 market in Winnipeg, few properties = multiple offers = increasing prices. The classic market law of Supply and Demand.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:44 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with that, it really is the only scale that matters to show the trend, but lower volumes can also push up prices, we are seeing that at the moment in the sub $250,000 market in Winnipeg, few properties = multiple offers = increasing prices. The classic market law of Supply and Demand.
You must learn to multi reply.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:22 pm

I wonder if this is due to the `Boomer` generation downsizing, and so able to fund the new purchase entirely from the sale of their former family home.
If so, then they will be the lucky ones who bought before the madness really started or managed to sell in late 07/early 08. I can understand anyone who's got cash stashed away wanting to buy something with it given the returns on cash are so low atm.

Right now - I'm basing my predictions about the real estate market (down another 15-20% in the areas I'm looking) on unemployment statistics. If we get a few months of rising employment rates I will take this as a leading indicator for real estate price rises. While GDP is falling and unemployment is rising I have to wonder where the money to buy property is actually coming from, as ultimately it needs to be earned by doing actual work.

The major risk to this strategy is the government and it's misguided attempts to reflate the economy - and I do wonder if buying now (taking the likely 20% hit and forgetting about it) might be the best approach.

Last edited by Alan2005; Apr 29th 2009 at 11:24 pm. Reason: double and
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

NO. For when boomers really start downsizing, en masse, and they will one day, the market will take even bigger hit than from the current economy slowdown.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:27 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Houses in my area are on sale for prices a fair bit higher than last year. I don't know what actual selling prices are but there doesn't appear to be a downturn.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:35 pm
RETIRED Realtor

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
NO. For when boomers really start downsizing, en masse, and they will one day, the market will take even bigger hit than from the current economy slowdown.
Remember there is a spread of about 20 years for the "Boomers" so I doubt they will all be selling at once.

Though they do have an effect on the market, especially for retirement properties.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Houses in my area are on sale for prices a fair bit higher than last year. I don't know what actual selling prices are but there doesn't appear to be a downturn.
According to an article in today's Calgary Herald:
Calgary led the country in February with the steepest decline in house prices, according to a national report released Wednesday.The Teranet-National Bank National Composite House Price Index said Calgary house prices fell by 8.1 per cent year-over-year followed by Vancouver at 6.4 per cent and Toronto at five per cent.

The national composite price drop was 4.1 per cent.

Calgary also recorded the biggest drop from peak prices. In the city, house prices have fallen by 12 per cent from the August 2007 peak, followed by a 10.2 per cent decline in Vancouver from its June 2008 peak and a nine per cent drop in Toronto from its peak of August 2008.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...309/story.html
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:55 pm
RETIRED Realtor

If so, then they will be the lucky ones who bought before the madness really started or managed to sell in late 07/early 08. I can understand anyone who's got cash stashed away wanting to buy something with it given the returns on cash are so low atm.

Right now - I'm basing my predictions about the real estate market (down another 15-20% in the areas I'm looking) on unemployment statistics. If we get a few months of rising employment rates I will take this as a leading indicator for real estate price rises. While GDP is falling and unemployment is rising I have to wonder where the money to buy property is actually coming from, as ultimately it needs to be earned by doing actual work.

The major risk to this strategy is the government and it's misguided attempts to reflate the economy - and I do wonder if buying now (taking the likely 20% hit and forgetting about it) might be the best approach.

People still buy Real Estate in the worst of times, even in the recession of the 70's when employment was higher than now, as were interest rates, the market was still active, slower but active.

Donald Trump made his "real" money by buying Manhattan real estate when everyone else was selling.

In my time we have had 3 major downturns, 1970, 1980-1983, 1989-1996. How long will this one last, no one knows, but never before have we seen such a determined and united effort by governments to reverse it. Will it work? Your guess is as good as mine.

All I know is the Winnipeg market, which varies all over the place from boom to slump depending on where your looking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.