Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada heaven or hell? Why most immigrants return?

Is Canada heaven or hell? Why most immigrants return?

Old Dec 16th 2002, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

sbasak is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Is Canada heaven or hell? Why most immigrants return?

Hi

I'm thinking of immigrating to Canada. However, the story of some of my friends who already immigrated to Canada (and returned too) horrifies me! So, I'm beginning to wonder whether Canada is heaven or hell!

First let me tell you about myself. I'm an Indian citizen working in a large software consultancy firm in India for 2.5 years. Currenty I'm working in its UK branch with £1400 salary (per month, after all tax deductions). I calculated my points under new system and found to score over 75.

Now I'm thinking of immigating to Canada. However, my friends/relatives who already immigrated there discourgages to come to Canada!

The reasons are:

1. Canada's economy is poor compared to USA and most western European countries.
2. Getting a well paid job is very very difficult. I recently read an article which says than many engineers are driving taxis in Toronto!
3. Most of the time immigrants are forced to take up employment in a much worse position what they used to do in their own countries!
4. Unless one have a Canadian degree, employers refuse to give a decent job.
5. Information Technology boom is not there any more. IT jobs are not plenty now!
6. Canada is taking so much immigrants every year because the same number of people are also getting out of the country each after being frustrated not getting a good job after years of searching!
7. To get a good job, one needs to study in a Canadian university, but that is costly. Unless one gets enough paying jobs, he can't afford going to university. However, none gives job without Canadian degree - so it's a deadlock situation.
8. I personally knew at least 10 people, who immigrated to Canada and 7 out of them returned to their home after 1-2 year and the rest though staying there but say because they have no alternative.
9. I've been advised by many people that even if I like to immigrate to Canada, I should land there only and only if I have a good job offer at hand. They say that situation becomes pathetic when they can't get a job in 6 months and all their savings comes down to zero. Then they literally have lead a life like beggars and forced to take up extremely low wage employment (in most cases works like factory worker, pizza delivery boys, sales counter personnel etc.)

Now you people tell me is Canada so bad or there is still hope? As an IT professional with 3-3.5 years experience can I expect more than C$3500 pm salary (after tax) there?

Thanx to all who reply (or even read this post).

:-(
Old Dec 16th 2002, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

becan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Canada heaven or hell? Why most immigrants return?

sbasak

Maybe anyone saying contrary to your stated points would not help you either. You are not entering into a lock by applying for canadian immigration. if you got not a lot to lose you may well apply.

if you have a good job at hand now perhaps it could be a good idea to stick to your guns and wait till somebody offers you a job before landing or go when the situation is conspicuously upbeat for your field which may or may not be likely.

you can complete your landing formality and retain the formal status.

i think you have to evaluate your need for a permanent place to settle down and determine how soon you need to actualise the same. most of the points you have stated are somehow indicative of start up diffculties. but once you are past that you should be allright.

so if you are pressed to show a canadian degree: stay put and ask the employer to buzz away-if he/they could
so if you fear having to work as a taxi driver: Don't, just stay where you are

if the position on offer is of less worth: dont take it , stay put

if this means having to lose your Pr: ... do it
becan

Originally posted by sbasak
Hi

I'm thinking of immigrating to Canada. However, the story of some of my friends who already immigrated to Canada (and returned too) horrifies me! So, I'm beginning to wonder whether Canada is heaven or hell!

First let me tell you about myself. I'm an Indian citizen working in a large software consultancy firm in India for 2.5 years. Currenty I'm working in its UK branch with £1400 salary (per month, after all tax deductions). I calculated my points under new system and found to score over 75.

Now I'm thinking of immigating to Canada. However, my friends/relatives who already immigrated there discourgages to come to Canada!

The reasons are:

1. Canada's economy is poor compared to USA and most western European countries.
2. Getting a well paid job is very very difficult. I recently read an article which says than many engineers are driving taxis in Toronto!
3. Most of the time immigrants are forced to take up employment in a much worse position what they used to do in their own countries!
5. Information Technology boom is not there any more. IT jobs are not plenty now!
6. Canada is taking so much immigrants every year because the same number of people are also getting out of the country each after being frustrated not getting a good job after years of searching!
7. To get a good job, one needs to study in a Canadian university, but that is costly. Unless one gets enough paying jobs, he can't afford going to university. However, none gives job without Canadian degree - so it's a deadlock situation.
8. I personally knew at least 10 people, who immigrated to Canada and 7 out of them returned to their home after 1-2 year and the rest though staying there but say because they have no alternative.
9. I've been advised by many people that even if I like to immigrate to Canada, I should land there only and only if I have a good job offer at hand. They say that situation becomes pathetic when they can't get a job in 6 months and all their savings comes down to zero. Then they literally have lead a life like beggars and forced to take up extremely low wage employment (in most cases works like factory worker, pizza delivery boys, sales counter personnel etc.)

Now you people tell me is Canada so bad or there is still hope? As an IT professional with 3-3.5 years experience can I expect more than C$3500 pm salary (after tax) there?

Old Dec 18th 2002, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Stay where you are. IT jobs suck here. IF you can get one, don't expect more than $30-$50,000 per year Canadian BEFORE taxes.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Ritu is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it is all the way yes to all your questions…if you have a good paying and stable job please do not even think to come to Canada.

It is a sincere advice which probably was not received by many landed immigrants who are now suffering.
Old Dec 18th 2002, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

apurwadi is an unknown quantity at this point

This is certainly a very good information for the prospective immigrants whose applications are currently in the process. I believe most of the applicants, especially those with H1B or former H1B visa in the US, expecting the same economy environment/compensation as Canada close to US socially, culturally and geograpically.

Is there any website for the salary comparison between Canada and US
for certain occupation?

How much the minimum take-home income to lead a standard life for a couple?

Given this information, can you tell me which one has the best out of the worse from the following countries for immigrants in term of IT job prospect/availability and salary standard for immigrants: Canada, Australia, New Zealand
Old Dec 27th 2002, 5:51 pm
Nicki

Question Re: Is Canada heaven or hell? Why most immigrants return?

Hi there.
I emigrated to Canada under family class and I have attended and attained my qualifications in Canada, so I am okay. But I do know what you are talking. I have a friend from overseas with an IT degree from the States and he cannot get regular employment here. Of course it is bad in teh states right now, too. but even before Sept 11th, he was unable to get regular work and he is really struggling here. His wife is also in IT and they will not recognise her qulaifications because they are from Pakistan... anyway, here is a link to see if your qualifications will be recognised http://www.ola.bc.ca/clb/
I wouldn't recommend emigrating considering what I know about jobs and what your friends have told you if you are I.T. Perhaps you could try to find an employer first before you move out here.
Just a nte about pay: the Cdn $ is worth a lot less than the USA $, but the cost of living is cheaper, about 1/3 cheaper than the USA, so you can look at Cdn earnings as equivalent to USA $, if that makes sense.
Canada is a great place, but you do need to make a living. I am biased: I only like BC. I don't care for the extreme cold in the rest of Canada and the high humidity in the summer in the Eastern provinces which includes ONtario.
Good Luck
Nicki

The reasons are:

:-( [/SIZE]

Old Dec 30th 2002, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

That vindicates my anxiety. It seems one should only consider landing in Canada after having a decent job offer in hand.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Default Here are more proof

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=124986

posted in Immigration Canada forum and many other similar posts are awful.
Old Jan 7th 2003, 7:47 pm
ahamedali

I think u r in better situation now where u r right now.the ultimate goal is to make money ,u know that very well job market in IT is not good in the USA as well as in canada.Even most of the Doctors are looking for parttime jobs in canada.most of IT professionals going back from USA and canada to their home countries.

so think abt that before coming to canada.if u think that u want to make a fancy trip to canada that is good.

Ahmed

Originally posted by becan

sbasak

Maybe anyone saying contrary to your stated points would not help you either. You are not entering into a lock by applying for canadian immigration. if you got not a lot to lose you may well apply.

if you have a good job at hand now perhaps it could be a good idea to stick to your guns and wait till somebody offers you a job before landing or go when the situation is conspicuously upbeat for your field which may or may not be likely.

you can complete your landing formality and retain the formal status.

i think you have to evaluate your need for a permanent place to settle down and determine how soon you need to actualise the same. most of the points you have stated are somehow indicative of start up diffculties. but once you are past that you should be allright.

so if you are pressed to show a canadian degree: stay put and ask the employer to buzz away-if he/they could
so if you fear having to work as a taxi driver: Don't, just stay where you are

if the position on offer is of less worth: dont take it , stay put

if this means having to lose your Pr: ... do it
becan

Old Jan 13th 2003, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

MCannon is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting question and interesting replies! For what it is worth I would like to reply with my comments (I have lived both in the U.K. and Canada).
First, if your only motivation in immigrating is money then I would suggest you reconsider. Immigrating is not an easy thing and it is high risk.
You mention 1,400GBP / month and are looking for over $3,000 net Cdn. Where in the U.K. do you live? Considering I lived near London where the average house was about $750,000 Cdn and around Toronto you can buy a house for under $200,000 you need to do a lot more research in what your financial needs are, not just converting based on exchange rates.
IT jobs? I don't think that it just Canada who is suffering in that area --- I would think it is more the industry than the country.
Interesting you mention the Canadian economy compared to the US economy. Try and get into the U.S. for starters. Also, recent information would indicate the exact opposite that Canada is outperforming. Also, why compare those 2 when you are moving from the U.K.?
Canadian education and Canadian experience? Of course it counts and of course it is a negative if you don't have it. That is why taking a "lesser" job to get some of that experience is a real asset. Why would an employer take a high risk if they don't have to? Put yourself in their shoes -- they don't know you.

I am not saying you do this, but mailing out resumes and responding to ads in the paper is not a job search. A small % of jobs are ever advertised and finding a job is a full time and difficult exercise -- whether you are a "Canadian" or not. If you have had 7 out of 10 friends move back I would say that is out of the norm. I can say out of 10 friends I know who have moved from the UK to Canada that 0 of them would return, however they would ALL agree that it isn't easy moving to a new country. The country does not owe them anything and nothing is for free.

Again, I would examine your reasons for moving and if it just for money I would reconsider. Canada is a wonderful country and has a lot to offer. You would enjoy it.

Mark

Hi

The reasons are:

Old Jan 20th 2003, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Scugog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sbasak
Hi

The reasons are:

My friend.I am a Canadian and I think that Canada is just fine.You are correct that Pakies and Indians work at low paying jobs but I think it is because they are uneducated.You have a degree or atleast IT experience.Just find out if your degree is transferable here.Just remember that Canada is made up of immigrants.Even my family is immigrants although we came in 1630,HaHa. I think a man with ambition will make it here and for that matter Canada is doing better than every country in the G-7 and we haven't had a ressesion in recent times.I make about 70K.CAD Per and I am just a Truck driver.Regards,Charles P.S. Why don't you stay in the U.K. ?
Old Jan 20th 2003, 2:13 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Scugog please let me know which company pays 70k... I am guessing long haul? LT or LTL? Please send a PM if you would prefer. Hubby is looking (yet again) as I am tired of not seeing him from one month to the next...lol
Old Jan 20th 2003, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Scugog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dingbat
Scugog please let me know which company pays 70k... I am guessing long haul? LT or LTL? Please send a PM if you would prefer. Hubby is looking (yet again) as I am tired of not seeing him from one month to the next...lol
Well it is "Union felt company,Vita foam" we really get about 73K with vacation pay and we have benifits on top.The problem is this isn't a trucking company,it is a factory(7 factories in all) so we aren't treated like drivers but customer service reps who happen to deliver our products.No we don't do long haul.5 days a week no weekends and no holidays(we are paid for them).We do have to go from Toronto- Boston every 2nd week.We are also payed for everything we do,because we aren't a trucking company they don't think twice of paying for all hours,all mile(right off the odometer).The thing is we are company reps first and drivers second,all our customers are steady so we know them all by name and have a relationship with them.Right now I have a large can of "Tim,Horton"coffee to take with me to my man Dave in Webster Ma. Because he likes coffee, so I said I would bring him some.You may think I am going on and on but the point is if you want to see your husband more here is a tip.Find a company that produces something(anything) and has there own trucks and you will be with your husband more because the company wants to keep there drivers happy they are more flexable with the driver than a "Trucking company"who's only purpose in life is to haul other peoples frieght to God knows where because the company doesn't want to do it themselves.P.S. I am a 3rd generation trucker,Youngest of 5 brothers(we all drive).Was an owner operator for over 10 years and had a "Landstar" agency.I hope you have success with your search for a better job for your husband.God Bless you,Through Jesus Christ my Lord. Charles
Old Jan 20th 2003, 4:18 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks! I will pass on the info when he gets back on a 24hr layover next month.
Old Jan 21st 2003, 6:52 pm
SSJ
Forum Regular

SSJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a Chinese-Canadian who came to Canada 8 years ago. I simply love it here. I agree it's hard to find a good paying job in Canada, that's why many immigrants go back to their homelands to get better-paying jobs, after they acquired Canadian citizenship. But I’m sure for one who's happy with minimum pay, there's always job opportunities.

I was stuck with minimum pay in the first two years, was only breaking even but good health care and better living environment had greatly compensated that, so I was happy. It's not impossible to get good paying job in Canada, but you seem to have more to lose than most people do. If it's not possible to get your job back in India, maybe just come to Canada on your holidays and enjoy the natural resources, and to explore job opportunities. Canada is not the place for most to get rich, but certainly is a nice choice for vacation and retirement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.