Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is a big place! Where to go?

Canada is a big place! Where to go?

Old Oct 1st 2015, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a big place! Where to go?

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Did I not put that in my post?? Maybe should have been more explicit but was talking about the restrictions specifically in Banff
My mistake. I didn't read the part you had quoted and I read your response as one needs to live in Banff to live in Canmore.
Goes off and learns how to read!
Old Oct 1st 2015, 8:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

How about the Okanagan?
Well it's not by the sea is it and the weather is more extreme than in Victoria.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 8:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How about the Okanagan?
Originally Posted by Steve_
Well...the weather is more extreme than in Victoria.
....extreme......:ro fl:
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Large lake vs sea suppose it all depends on why one likes to be near the sea.

For swimming, I don't see much difference, but if one is looking to be near the sea for sea life and sounds and smells of the ocean, then no lake will ever do.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's not by the sea is it and the weather is more extreme than in Victoria.
How true, it is extremely beautiful and hot and dry in the summer (and right now come to mention it) and it is extremely mild in the winter with great powder up in the mountains to play in. However we don't have the extreme rain unfortunately. Life is tough here in the Okanagan living in these extremes
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Large lake vs sea suppose it all depends on why one likes to be near the sea.

For swimming, I don't see much difference, but if one is looking to be near the sea for sea life and sounds and smells of the ocean, then no lake will ever do.
Growing up in the UK, you really can't beat the seaside.

Whether it be brash like Brighton, genteel like Bournemouth, quaint like Sidmouth or the many harboury places they're all nice for different reasons.

Lakes in the UK are also very nice.

But you will never mistake one for the other.

I've not actually been on a lake beach in Canada but, going by photos, one might well believe it's a beach on the coast. I can well believe there might not be a big difference.

I've seen photos of a lake beach that my wife and kids used to go to before I met them. It looked like the coast. It can't have been too far from Montreal.

I'm quite willing to believe that the seaside can mostly be replicated by a lake. It's the seaside town that would be missing.

But that is maybe a small loss for the gain of living in Montreal or Toronto compared to either coasts.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:58 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

None of the cited examples have everything - it depends what your priorities are- it tick all the boxes OP suggested bar the ocean- but as everyone has said - lakes are pretty damn good and are indeed extremely scenic and great to live by. Access to all the sports that they want is here in abundance- unlike some of the other places- ocean is nice to look at ....we could look at it in four hours.. no brainer!!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 1st 2015 at 11:00 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 12:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
How true, it is extremely beautiful and hot and dry in the summer (and right now come to mention it) and it is extremely mild in the winter with great powder up in the mountains to play in. However we don't have the extreme rain unfortunately. Life is tough here in the Okanagan living in these extremes
If it were not for the heat in the summer, Okanagon would be almost perfect place, it's just too warm in the summers for me, and I'd end up inside most of it, hence why we stay in the LM, mild winters but wet, but milder summers and not that wet and quite nice.

Easy to warm up in winter, hard to stay cool outside it 30+ temps.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 12:13 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
Wouldn't call rainfall in Victoria extreme. It's 705 ml per year,
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Wouldn't call rainfall in Victoria extreme. It's 705 ml per year,
I agree, I was thinking about the rest of the island and lower mainland. From the chart below you can see quite a difference between the Okanagan and the Island though. We do love the Island as well and have had many great salmon fishing, camping & kayaking trips there. Our son currently resides in Victoria so we have spent some time there.
Attached Thumbnails Canada is a big place!  Where to go?-xpat.jpg  
Old Oct 5th 2015, 12:16 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, statement of fact, the weather in Kelowna is more extreme than in Victoria.

Victoria Airport.

Kelowna.

From Wikipedia:

Due to the rain shadow effect of the nearby Olympic Mountains, Victoria is the driest location on the British Columbia coast, with much lower rainfall than other nearby areas. Total annual precipitation is just 608 mm (23.9 in) at the Gonzales weather station in Victoria compared with 1,589 mm (63 in) in Vancouver, 970 mm (38.2 in) in Seattle and 406 mm (16.0 in) in Sequim, Washington. Port Renfrew, located just 80 km (50 mi) away on the more exposed southwest coast of Vancouver Island, receives 3,671 mm (144.5 in) of precipitation annually, six times as much as Victoria. Even the Victoria Airport, 25 km (16 mi) north of the city, receives about 45% more precipitation than the city proper. Victoria's mild climate can support some palm trees, including the Chinese Windmill Palm.
Also not mentioned but slightly relevant is that Kelowna has a tendency to catch fire during the summer.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 3:46 am
Account Closed

OMG, statement of fact, the weather in Kelowna is more extreme than in Victoria.

Victoria Airport.

Kelowna.

From Wikipedia:

Also not mentioned but slightly relevant is that Kelowna has a tendency to catch fire during the summer.
Had never realized there was such a big difference between Vancouver and Victoria, and even Victoria and Seattle seems to have a pretty hefty difference as well....
Old Oct 5th 2015, 3:58 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Children, children, I think that you are both misusing the word extreme.... Neither is extreme. I will knock both your heads together if you carry on