Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada better than UK Really ?

Is Canada better than UK Really ?

Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada better than UK Really ?

I agree with many of the post's that have been made about Canada being different rather than better. Also you can't compare Canada with the UK as the comparison is not just based on differences in provinces, but also differences from one town to another within a province. The same holds for the UK.

Other things that make the comparison hard is our individual circumstances (Financial, Family, Skills, personality, etc.)

I was recently talking to a Canadian friend who said that their system of income tax is superior to the UK, as they get overtaxed during the year, they then fill in tax return and get a lump sum back, which they can them spend on something nice. I told them that in the UK, I'm able to be taxed the correct amount, I can then if I wish save up for something nice if I wish. They still thought the Canadian method was better.

Another said that the way gas prices work in their area was better. The price of gas goes down in the evenings and is higher during the day, so if you are happy to queue in the evenings you can save a bundle on gas. I actually saw the price go down by 3 cents while they were queuing. Which way is better? ours seems fairer.

In Canadian schools children are forced to stand still for the national anthem (wherever they are in the school). Many are even forced to sing it every day. Is this better than in the UK? It comes down to personal preference.

Personally, there are things I hate about canada and things I love there are also things I hate and love about specific town both in Canada and the UK.

There is one thing that worries me a bit. Many of my friends who have moved to Canada have become very nice. It's a bit like "invasion of the body snatchers" or possibly "stepford wives". Whereas I wouldn't mind too much if my wife started cooking cookies and doing all the housework, I like my current personality.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
ICBC do just that and get a drivers abstract, which shows the commencement date of your driving experience in each and every province. In Borg run BC, resistance is futile.....
Do ICBC follow up on the attempted fraud when the application for coverage is made or only after an expensive accident? I suppose someone with "local knowledge" of fraud will have to tell us.

I have a friend (in Canada, born in Canada, never lived outside Canada so can safely be assumed to have "local knowledge") who has his car registered in Quebec with his parents' address because Quebec insurance is "a lot cheaper" than his Ontario insurance. He's lived in Ontario for five years.

His "local knowledge" is that it's better to get your car insured in Quebec no matter where you live. Forgive me for being ever so slightly of the feeling that if/when he has an accident then my "nerdy bookish knowledge" is suddenly going to trump his "local knowledge". I did ask him, by the way, whether what he was doing was legal and would he be in trouble if he had an accident. He just shrugged his shoulders, mumbled something (I think it ended in "eh?"), and ordered another beer.

K.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That says that each ride is $45. That sounds about right.
Hang on, you are a business man right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but having to pay $45 is in fact not the same as "no charge"... right?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
There is one thing that worries me a bit. Many of my friends who have moved to Canada have become very nice. It's a bit like "invasion of the body snatchers" or possibly "stepford wives". Whereas I wouldn't mind too much if my wife started cooking cookies and doing all the housework, I like my current personality.
To the contrary, I love it that, as soon as a woman moves to Canada, she becomes slavishly devoted to her man. I've become accustomed to the idea that, when I return from the office, I'm ushered to my armchair and given a pipe to smoke while the little woman slides off my boots and installs my slippers. Sometimes I show my appreciation by letting her blow me before dinner or by making a point of complimenting her on some polishing or dusting she's done.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

That says that each ride is $45. That sounds about right.
That's nowhere near the actual cost of an ambulance ride. And certainly nowhere near the cost of a helicopter evac.

That fee is along the lines of the prescription charges in the UK: annoying, insulting, betraying the principle of free health care at the point of use. But just as no-one would argue that "you have to pay for your drugs on the NHS" you can't argue that "you have to pay for ambulances on OHIP."

K.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Correct me if I'm wrong, but having to pay $45 is in fact not the same as "no charge"... right?
Indeed. $45 is not "no charge". $45 is a bottle of a minor single malt.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:28 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light

To the contrary, I love it that, as soon as a woman moves to Canada, she becomes slavishly devoted to her man. I've become accustomed to the idea that, when I return from the office, I'm ushered to my armchair and given a pipe to smoke while the little woman slides off my boots and installs my slippers. Sometimes I show my appreciation by letting her blow me before dinner or by making a point of complimenting her on some polishing or dusting she's done.
You live dangerously. I assume that she doesn't read this
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by kt0157
That's nowhere near the actual cost of an ambulance ride. And certainly nowhere near the cost of a helicopter evac.

That fee is along the lines of the prescription charges in the UK: annoying, insulting, betraying the principle of free health care at the point of use. But just as no-one would argue that "you have to pay for your drugs on the NHS" you can't argue that "you have to pay for ambulances on OHIP."

K.
I do argue that you have to pay for ambulances on OHIP. If I call an ambulance they want money. How they arrive at the price is neither here nor there; they want paying.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by IceMaiden
You live dangerously. I assume that she doesn't read this
I do.

She's posting on a thread on GU right now (www.guardian.co.uk/talk "Are You the Worst Woman"), it's a competition to be the "Worst Woman" on the board in the eyes of a chuavinist poster.

Her latest contribution:

otraynor - 05:04pm Oct 6, 2006 GMT (#521 of 527)
I'm deciding which of the four male beings in my life to emasculate next. The horse, dog and cat are all done already...
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do argue that you have to pay for ambulances on OHIP. If I call an ambulance they want money. How they arrive at the price is neither here nor there; they want paying.
OK. Well call it a "health tax" and chalk it up to another hidden cost of living in Canada, then.

K.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Well call it a "health tax" and chalk it up to another hidden cost of living in Canada, then.

K.
Its not very well hidden! There are very few places in the world where people would not expect to have to pay at least something for this service. The UK and perhaps Alberta, spring to mind.

The health tax surcharge in Ontario is a real "hidden health tax". Its mandatory. So far in 9 years Ive manage to entirely avoided ambulances, so I dont think that counts.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 6th 2006 at 4:43 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Quite. Also if no physician is prepared to say that the ambulance ride was medically necessary, then you pay a lot more than that. Your example was that you broke a hypothetical leg. You likely could have taken a cab to the hospital which would be a lot cheaper. It doesn't say on the link how "medically necessary" is defined in practice. You might be able to find a legal definition somewhere on the web, but I doubt it.

BTW in general terms its clear that kt01xx has decided against immigrating. Why doesn't he just leave it at that?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:39 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

K.
It's hardly hidden. Most Canadians know about ambulance charges and most have no problem paying for it. In fact, compared to taking a taxi, an ambulance ride is a pretty good deal; good drugs, blankies, flashing lights and right of way through traffic. And, I don't know anyone who has framed a taxi ride bill.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
It's hardly hidden. Most Canadians know about ambulance charges and most have no problem paying for it. In fact, compared to taking a taxi, an ambulance ride is a pretty good deal; good drugs, blankies, flashing lights and right of way through traffic. And, I don't know anyone who has framed a taxi ride bill.
And if you have health insurance (as many do) then most if not all the cost can be reclaimed from your insurer. This summer I had a two minute ambulance ride (plus a 2 minute stretcher ride along a dock) which cost me $115. Great West Life picked up $92 of that and I paid the balance. I don't feel hard done by as it'd have cost me the same if it were an hour or more.

Incidentally one of the things I dislike about Canada is the absence of choice in healthcare ala BUPA etc in the UK. I liked the two tier system or at least having the choice. Here of course (apart from moves to change in Quebec and Alberta) it's all rather taboo to even talk about it. I mean that way lies........America!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Incidentally one of the things I dislike about Canada is the absence of choice in healthcare ala BUPA etc in the UK. I liked the two tier system or at least having the choice. Here of course (apart from moves to change in Quebec and Alberta) it's all rather taboo to even talk about it. I mean that way lies........America!
I'd be surprised by this post if AX hadn't mentioned on here yesterday that he's a Telegraph reader.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.