Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada better than UK Really ?

Is Canada better than UK Really ?

Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada better than UK Really ?

Originally Posted by dbd33
A bit bland though, innit?
Well, we are in Canada after all!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is fair but surely it's an argument for moving somewhere less regulated, specifically the US, rather than staying in the EC which is almost as bad.
The US is even worse than Canada. But it has such great self-belief that other people also believe it is less regulated.

I'm not convinced that the EU is more regulated than Canada. You don't have to hire quotas of people in the EU, for example. And some of the regulations that are in place directly help the people (what a stunningly novel idea!). The rules on moving between EU countries mean you don't have to wait five years for a residence permit.

Yes, some of the EU countries are a nightmare of regulations (Germany, for instance). But that's not down to the EU. You could argue that the federal structure of Germany naturally leads to a quagmire of regulations (rather like two large federated countries already mentioned..).

K.

Last edited by kt0157; Oct 6th 2006 at 12:58 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:54 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Garfielduk

Don't really want to as I've done that before and it would just dredge up old stuff that's been in lots of threads.
I think that if you're sure of your reasons to emmigrate, and they're solid, then should still be happy to emmigrate.

To be honest, I'm worried that you're emmigrating to escape something rather that for what you'll find in the new place. I worry that you'll find in Canada what you're trying to escape from.

Are you worried about that too?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Nicely summed up by my visiting boss over dinner last night, in reference to new UK anti-ageism (sp?) legslation. "You can still call me a bag but you can't call me an old bag any more".
Speaking as someone who has hired 50 people, I'd rather do it in the UK than in Canada (where I'd have to hire 45 normal people, 5 token people to match quotas, and then another 5 normal people to do the jobs of the 5 token people). But, I'd rather not hire 50 people in the UK either.

K.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
The US is even worse than Canada. But it has such great self-belief that other people also believe it is less regulated.
US vs. Canada at the national level is an impractical comparison because there are so many state/provinical laws, however I'd say that even the more regulated states, Utah for example, have less legislation than Ontario. For a start, alcohol is more freely available in Utah, Utah has no laws governing bicycle helmets or leaf blowers and hand guns are legally available in Utah. The use of telephones in cars is permissable in Utah whereas, in Ontario, it's technically not allowed but the authorities turn a blind eye; like polygamy in Utah.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Canada2006
To be honest, I'm worried that you're emmigrating to escape something rather that for what you'll find in the new place. I worry that you'll find in Canada what you're trying to escape from.
That sums me up. I've some friends in Montreal who have emigrated from Algeria. They came to Canada to escape Algeria. They aren't unhappy with Canada! Makes my whingeing about Canada seem like a flea bite compared to what they put up with.

K.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
I have been a member on here for just under a year now and I have found that there are so many negative threads that I am now wondering whether we are doing the right thing at all. Examples from threads are :

It's just as expensive as the UK !
No, its not. SOME things are as expensive as the UK, most are not. Its just not as cheap as people think it is when they visit because the cost of running a house is more like the UK. Eating out, cost of petrol and cars, and property in some places is cheaper, and thats what you notice when you visit, which generates a bit of a false impression about living here, and thats where a lot of the whining comes from. Plus you dont have the nice exchange rate thing on your side when you live here. But it is still cheaper here, about 75% maybe now.

Canada has no fashion sense, the clothes are crap !
No, its just different fashion here, as it would be anywhere else in the world. You get used to it, its maybe less fashion obsessed than the UK, but to me UK clothes look strange now. Ive always prefered jeans and a Tshirt to dressing smart anyway, so I like that its less formal.

As much Anti Social Behaviour as the UK !
Absolutely not so in my experience

Immigrants just can't get decent jobs !
Some immigrants cant get decent jobs. But they are a small miniority. But the job market works different here, you just need to do your homework and play by the rules here, and be prepared to have to go back to get ahead.

the Government here have all the stupid laws that the UK have and more !
I dont think there are more, and they are largely unenforced anyway. Canada does government business in 2 official languages. That suits me, I figure they can only get half as much done that way, so have less oportunity to interfere. I have never really suffered due to any of the "stupid" laws, and most of them are there for some long forgoten good reason anyway. It sure beats ASBO society.

the list goes on and on....

So, if all the expats in Canada now had their time again would you go through it all again and move ? If so, why ? And if not why not ?
Would I go back to 1999 and do it again. Sure, it only took a year then. Is it worth waiting 5 years now? Maybe, maybe not. Id certainly look at a few other options...other countries or the faster PNP route.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 6th 2006 at 1:23 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:02 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

I'm not convinced that the EU is more regulated than Canada. You don't have to hire quotas of people in the EU, for example. And some of the regulations that are in place directly help the people (what a stunningly novel idea!). The rules on moving between EU countries mean you don't have to wait five years for a residence permit.

Yes, some of the EU countries are a nightmare of regulations (Germany, for instance). But that's not down to the EU. You could argue that the federal structure of Germany naturally leads to a quagmire of regulations (rather two large federated countries already mentioned..).

K.
I'm sure that somewhere there are league tables of government regulation. It's different in each country. For example, shops in Belgium cannot open on Sundays - Bad. In Canada, they can. In BC the market in auto insurance is fixed - bad, in Belgium, it's not.

It's just so different and I think that you have to take the good with the bad.

BTW, I think that the US has its fair share of regulation too, and it's complicated by the difference between states! Take education and look at how regulated that is.

There is actually very little legislation that originates from the EU, most of it is from national governments.

What I've found in Belgium is that there are almost two countries in one:
1/ Public services - terribly slow, old buildings, unpolite unmotivated people, lots of paperwork, lots of corruption...

2/ Private sector - quite dynamic, international, outwardly focused, mostly unpolite people, less paperwork, quite honest.

I suppose it's similar elsewhere, including Canada, but the balance may be slightly different.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That sums me up. I've some friends in Montreal who have emigrated from Algeria. They came to Canada to escape Algeria. They aren't unhappy with Canada! Makes my whingeing about Canada seem like a flea bite compared to what they put up with.

K.
There are an astonishing number of Algerians in Toronto. My kid's high school maths teacher was a recent immigrant from there and, unusually, spoke no English at all. He seemed happy enough but he must live in a vacuum, he'd have little chance of conversation outside work and home.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

US vs. Canada at the national level is an impractical comparison because there are so many state/provinical laws, however I'd say that even the more regulated states, Utah for example, have less legislation than Ontario. For a start, alcohol is more freely available in Utah, Utah has no laws governing bicycle helmets or leaf blowers and hand guns are legally available in Utah. The use of telephones in cars is permissable in Utah whereas, in Ontario, it's technically not allowed but the authorities turn a blind eye; like polygamy in Utah.
Is Utah a more regulated state? I'm thinking that New York state is more regulated. Hand guns are legal (thanks to the Constitution) but replica hand guns are not. New York also has mandatory cycle helmet laws (for children*).

K.
*"Oh won't someone please think of the children!!"
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Is Utah a more regulated state? I'm thinking that New York state is more regulated. Hand guns are legal (thanks to the Constitution) but replica hand guns are not. New York also has mandatory cycle helmet laws (for children*).

K.
*"Oh won't someone please think of the children!!"
Damn. People usually think of Utah as being highly regulated because of the Mormon influence, making it a good example for my side of the argument. NYS, or worse, Massachusetts or California do have about as many laws as Ontario, yes. California in particular is a nightmare place for employment regulation.
BE Forum Addict

There are an astonishing number of Algerians in Toronto. My kid's high school maths teacher was a recent immigrant from there and, unusually, spoke no English at all. He seemed happy enough but he must live in a vacuum, he'd have little chance of conversation outside work and home.
Why do they go to Toronto and not Montreal? Bizarre. All the Algerians I met in Montreal spoke excellent French (unlike most of the native Quebecans*).

K.
*You know when you hear the announcements during an Air Canada flight first in English then in French, and the French sounds like a Texan reading phonetically-spelled French off a laminated card? That, I discovered, is Quebecois French. :scared:
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

all this carried dead weight comes at a cost in higher prices and higher taxes.

K.
A nice theory except that both taxes and prices are lower here than in the UK.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Canada2006
For example, shops in Belgium cannot open on Sundays - Bad. In Canada, they can. In BC the market in auto insurance is fixed - bad, in Belgium, it's not.
You couldn't have said that about Canada until this Wednesday! And it's virtually banned in PEI.

K.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

You couldn't have said that about Canada until this Wednesday! And it's virtually banned in PEI.

K.
The mistake is to talk about "Canada" at all. A lot of this stuff is Provincially driven, and as the provinces are about the size of a decent European nation, that makes more sense. Each province is like a country, and "Canada" is the political equivalent to the EU in many respects.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.