Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada becoming part of the North American Union?

Is Canada becoming part of the North American Union?

Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada becoming part of the North American Union?

Originally Posted by act1980
I am not asking for evidence that there isn't but perhaps websites that are adament that there is not going to be an NAU with proof?
I've never seen any proof that any sort of political policy will never happen.

I have however viewed many webistes and seen television news reports of the NAU happening at some point.
Examples please. Something from a credible mainstream source, eg BBC, Guardian, Oakville Beaver.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:42 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, guess I will just have to be honest when I venture out on my shopping trips!!
Probably works the same as here you pull up and declare $x, if they think it's worth you paying the duty on it, then you have to, otherwise they let you off... I haven't had to pay any duty thus far, been across about half a dozen times on day trips, each time it was less than $500 though and no alcohol. I've heard that it's less than $200 and no alcohol, you'll almost certainly get let off... If you have ANY alcohol at all, then you'll get hauled in to pay duty on the lot. Though there are exceptions to this, I know people who've been let off with alcohol too - so there's no hard and fast rules, just luck of the draw and whether they like the look of you
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've never seen any proof that any sort of political policy will never happen.

Examples please. Something from a credible mainstream source, eg BBC, Guardian, Oakville Beaver.
I posted a topic on this last month I think? I posted quite a few links on that. Also, if you check out You Tube there are FOX news reports on there.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by G77
Probably works the same as here you pull up and declare $x, if they think it's worth you paying the duty on it, then you have to, otherwise they let you off... I haven't had to pay any duty thus far, been across about half a dozen times on day trips, each time it was less than $500 though and no alcohol. I've heard that it's less than $200 and no alcohol, you'll almost certainly get let off... If you have ANY alcohol at all, then you'll get hauled in to pay duty on the lot. Though there are exceptions to this, I know people who've been let off with alcohol too - so there's no hard and fast rules, just luck of the draw and whether they like the look of you
I'll have to put on my best clothes ;-) I will only be buying shed loads of clothes, not really an alki tbh anyway!!

Karme for last post btw
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I posted a topic on this last month I think? I posted quite a few links on that. Also, if you check out You Tube there are FOX news reports on there.
But where's the credible mainstream source?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

But where's the credible mainstream source?
Is FOX not a reliable source?

CNN also has reports, but again I don't know how reliable they are.

I did mention in another post that my friend who work's for the US embassy in London doesn't think this will ever happen.

I am just merely stating that I have seen reports, I am not claiming that it is going to happen.

And as I said before, I don't know what to believe, only time will tell. There is a lot of corruption that goes on without us knowing so, if this happening, it wouldn't suprise me.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Is FOX not a reliable source?
Entertaining, yes. Reliable, no. A moving version of the World Weekly News.

There is a lot of corruption that goes on without us knowing so
Have to agree with that!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Entertaining, yes. Reliable, no. A moving version of the World Weekly News.

Have to agree with that!

Lol!!! May as well watch E news then!!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:13 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77

What are your personal exemptions?
After each absence of 24 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$50 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$50 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.
After each absence of 48 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$400 worth of goods without paying any duties. You must have the goods with you when you arrive. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products or manufactured tobacco. See the section called "Alcohol and tobacco" for more details.
After each absence of 7 days or more

You can claim up to CAN$750 worth of goods without paying any duties. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products or manufactured tobacco. See the section called "Alcohol and tobacco" for more details. With the exception of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, you do not need to have the goods with you when you arrive.

To calculate the number of days you have been absent, do not include the date you left Canada but include the date you returned. Dates matter, not times. For example, we consider you to have been absent seven days if you left Friday the 7th and returned Friday the 14th.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I am not asking for evidence that there isn't but perhaps websites that are adament that there is not going to be an NAU with proof?

I have however viewed many webistes and seen television news reports of the NAU happening at some point. Whether this will happen of not is yet to be seen. Like I said before, I don't know what to believe! Time will tell........
Although not what I would term a reliable source as anyone can edit it, the North American Union article on Wikipedia does have some useful links.

In my opinion, a North American Union is extremely unlikely as the U.S. would then have to permit free movement of people and trade throughout the Union. They spend millions of dollars a year trying to keep illegal immigrants from Mexico out of their borders, who would then be free to live and work in the U.S. if the NAU was to happen.

The U.S. would also want the same levels of border security for the NAU as the U.S. will have. I doubt Canada and Mexico would be willing to pay for it, and certainlly the U.S. wouldn't want to.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:02 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
What are your personal exemptions?
After each absence of 24 hours or more
(snip)
I'm aware of the allowances - however, I frequently make day trips to Detroit - the allowance for which is zero.... That was my point, when this is the case, the discretion is in the hands of the officer at the booth....
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi..... Would this mean that you could then not declare any goods in the hope you would not be stopped to pay duties?

Thanks!!
Well you could try that, but in these days of terror, how keen are you to end up in an orange boiler suit in Cuba???
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:19 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by geedee
Well you could try that, but in these days of terror, how keen are you to end up in an orange boiler suit in Cuba???
There's an impressive array of machines at the border, makes me wonder if they can see roughly what you have in the car anyway....
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Edward de Par is on a distinguished road

Do you have any websites that you could provide backing this up?
http://www.nauwarroom.org/
Website that Backs Up

Listen to Congressman Tom Tancredo and his views on The NAU
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Edward de Par
http://www.nauwarroom.org/
Website that Backs Up

Listen to Congressman Tom Tancredo and his views on The NAU
Ahem, credible mainstream source please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.