Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada after university - advice needed

Canada after university - advice needed

Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Jakespikey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada after university - advice needed

Hello everyone, I've looked for some Australian expat sites but haven't had much luck in finding any with people that are knowledable of immigration to Canada or working holidays there. So perhaps someone here could offer me some advice.

I'm presently 19 and attending university for a bachelor of commerce (majoring in accountantcy). I've thought for a long time that I would love to move to another country and perhaps settle there (who knows). The USA was my first option however it looks increasingly difficult to go on a working holiday there, so I started looking into Canada and I've gotten really interested in the place (more specifically Toronto, though I'm flexibile and I'm fairly willing to go where the work is within reason).

Anyway, my questions are will my Australian degree be recognised in Canada? Is there a lot of competition for degree based entry level accounting roles in Canada?

I've heard Canadian experience is essential, I don't mind doing work experience in Canada in order to get some Canadian experience would this increase my chances of gaining employment significantly? I won't have much Australian experience as I'll be straight out university basically would it increase my chances of employment if I stayed in Australia for an extra year to gain experience before I left, or will this have little impact on my employability?

When preparing myself financially for the trip obviously the more money I have in the first place the better off I'll be however, would it be fairly safe to presume I would have an accounting job by the fourth month in? Is it essential I plan to bring more then 4 months worth of money?

Okay there are a lot of questions if anyone can help with a few of them that would be greatly appreciated

Thanking you,
Jake.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada after university - advice needed

You might find some answers on this website.

http://www.cica.ca/index.cfm?ci_id=17150&la_id=1
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hart50

Thanks for your reply, though I've already looked through that site.

By the time I move over there I will not have my CPA or CA etc, as I won't have enough experience yet to qualify in Australia.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hart50

Thanks for that, I've already looked at that site, but I did however just decide to email them and ask if I'd be recognised for their program.

Any other help is appreciated
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

I should clarify that I am not an accountant but I would have thought that a foreign accounting degree could get you into one of the Canadian accounting professional programs. Having said that, we seem to have a propensity for screwing with other foreign trained professionals (doctors, lawyers etc.) trying to get qualified in their professions in Canada.
One other idea is to try and research companies in the Calgary Oil Patch as they are always looking for people with accounting backgrounds.
Good luck!
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:48 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Try this: http://www.whpcanada.org.au/introduction.shtml
Old Sep 16th 2008, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

Call a government agency or email them-
Human Resources Developemnt Canada HRDC
or Customs and Immigration.

Dont come without a firm job offer- check Toronto out first -have a holiday anything -but dont sell up and move without something concrete and guaranteed.

Its still tough here without quality work- but its a great country for a new young grad - youll love it.
good luck
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Hey everyone thanks for the advice I'll make sure I look into everything that has been said. If anyone has some more advice I'd love to hear it. Thankyou.